The Student Room Group

Exhausting revision techniques ?

We're still covering topics at school at the moment, and I've made some revision cards for those topics we've just covered.

My 'general' method of revision is using revision cards, and then I transfer those notes onto mind-maps or diagrams at a later stage. My problem is that if I exhaust all those revision methods now, how would I 'go-over' information when it is near my exams? I heard that looking over your notes does not help you retain much information, yet I don't want to spend time in the future writing out another set of notes etc.

I don't know if this makes sense haha sorry.
Reply 1
I find making revision notes and cards helps more because I'm writing down knowledge, it just helps it stick! I never re-read them, only parts I've highlighted as VERY IMPORTANT. Maybe look into revising with other people from your classes after you've finished the topic, hearing information verbally might also be better than just reading notes.
I like the VAK learning styles test, really helped me understand how I learn and new ways of studying that didn't bore me. Personally I'm a visual learner, so I spent less time reading my notes and more time making powerpoints, mind maps and colourful post its around my room.
Rather than just writing notes on the cards, one method I have sworn by since GCSE days is writing questions on one side of the card, and then answers on the other. This way you can constantly use the cards to test yourself about knowledge on the specification, and it really helps things to stick in your brain and be memorized.

I make them then go over them on the bus, at home, in class, anywhere really... its so easy.

I would'nt have gotten my GCSE or AS grades without them, the only subjects they dont really work for is maths (need practice not memorization) and English, and obviously practical subjects. but they work amazingly for most subjects.

I create a big stack of cards covering the whole specification for each exam, then once the material is memorised, you can use past papers to practice if its all gone in, or do posters/mind maps from memory.

good luck and hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest