The Student Room Group

Selfies: Do you take them and why?

Poll

Do you take selfies and agree with the statement?

Do you take selfies and why? If so, how often and how many?

Selfies have been linked by scientists and psychologists to many disorders or issues.

“If we’re constantly displaying what we ‘have’, it tends to be born from insecurity and a need for external validation,” adds Parkinson.

Do you agree with the statement above?

Scroll to see replies

No, I don't.
NO.
I don't take selfies and have no real idea about this statement at all.
ye for funny profile pics. I usually edit them in photoshop to make them funny looking.
Most of my selfies tend to be locked away inside my phone so I doubt that 'seeking validation' would be my reason for taking them.
i take selfies when i feel i look alright. don't agree with the statement.
I take them because I might like how I look at a particular moment and wanna preserve that for days when I look ****ty. Also, self love and **** man.
Reply 8
I take them because sometimes I'm just feeling good. I don't post all my selfies on social media, some of them are just because I'm having a silly moment.

I don't agree with the statement. As human beings we all have our insecurities but so many people suffer an accident and end up with facial disfigurement and then realise that they were really happy with what they had. I like to embrace all that is mine. Not because I'm insecure about it but because I'm grateful for it.
Selfies are idiotic
There are many reasons why someone might take selfies. Equally valid reasons include: (a) you're a girl and you just spent hours on awesome makeup that you now want to keep record of, (b) it's fun, or (c) you're bored.

The kind of science that misinterprets a simple, valid correlation between two factors (in this case selfies and various psychological disorders) as confirmed evidence of clinical psychosis or narcissistic personality disorder or insecurity in those that partake in the activity under study is quite simply very bad science.
(edited 9 years ago)
I dont have any form of social media, never had or will. I'm secure in my own self and dont seek the validation of others, I also dont feel imparting some distant 'virtual' 'friend / follower' with my wisdom is worth it.
Reply 12
Because you can control the picture, I.e what filter to use, or how high to hold the camera or how to pose so you can look as good as possible where as if someone else takes a picture of you then it probably wouldn't look as good because you haven't got that control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agree, taking selfies is idiotic and vain.
Most of my selfies never make it out. I do it out of sheer boredom and it's quite cool to see yourself from different angles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I take them sometimes on days where I look good (which is rare lol), but I'm too shy to put it on Facebook haha. I have friends on Facebook who post selfies everyday and it pisses me off. She doesn't have too much going for her at the moment, so perhaps the quote may have some substance to it.
Original post by Baby Milo
Do you take selfies and why? If so, how often and how many?

Selfies have been linked by scientists and psychologists to many disorders or issues.

Do you agree with the statement above?

For some people. :s-smilie:
Original post by Arkasia
Agree, taking selfies is idiotic and vain.

Stop it you :fan:
Original post by Precious Illusions
Stop it you :fan:

Dayum girrrl, you don't take selfies, you take ART.

Spoiler

Sometimes take selfies, mostly because I can so rarely be bothered to look nice and put on makeup that when I do I'll take a picture sometimes. Taking selfies with friends is more fun though (would it be called a selfie if it's with others?)

Quick Reply

Latest