Claire.08T
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with my Geography essays, my average score is about 22-25 and I have got 32 once before. I personally prefer doing physical essays but I really struggle to get top marks in either human or physical.
I am aiming for an A or an A* in Geography so I really do need some help! If anyone could give me advice on structure and general technique that would really help me out. Also if any of you could clarify what is meant by 'Synopticity' that might help me out a lot!
Also would anyone mind looking at one of my essays if I attached one?

Just to add I am doing AQA Geography!
Claire.08T
Rep:
?
Bump
NinjaNicky
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure I'm going to be particularly helpful, but I know exactly how you feel!! 32 is my highest mark, my geography teacher explained it with a gun analogy, you need to use a sniper and select lots relevant information from various case studies to support your arguments as opposed to using a shotgun and 'case study dumping' loads of information.

Synopticity basically means give an overview, thing of the synopsis of a film or a book, it gives an overview and a few pieces of key information, so in terms of a geography essay try to put what you're saying into context and don't miss anything out. Hope this helps, but my whole class is in the same boat as you atm!
Claire.08T
Rep:
?
(Original post by NinjaNicky)
I'm not sure I'm going to be particularly helpful, but I know exactly how you feel!! 32 is my highest mark, my geography teacher explained it with a gun analogy, you need to use a sniper and select lots relevant information from various case studies to support your arguments as opposed to using a shotgun and 'case study dumping' loads of information.

Synopticity basically means give an overview, thing of the synopsis of a film or a book, it gives an overview and a few pieces of key information, so in terms of a geography essay try to put what you're saying into context and don't miss anything out. Hope this helps, but my whole class is in the same boat as you atm!
Thank you so much, this was very helpful! It's good to know I a not the only one struggling with the essays. I hope you and your class do well in essays. What sections of Geography are you doing? Have you started revising yet?

Thanks for replying, it did help me out a lot!
NinjaNicky
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Claire.08T)
Thank you so much, this was very helpful! It's good to know I a not the only one struggling with the essays. I hope you and your class do well in essays. What sections of Geography are you doing? Have you started revising yet?

Thanks for replying, it did help me out a lot!
No problem!! We're doing plate tectonics, world cities, globalisation and ecosystems. I haven't started revising properly, I did for my mock then faded out again, have you?
Claire.08T
Rep:
?
(Original post by NinjaNicky)
No problem!! We're doing plate tectonics, world cities, globalisation and ecosystems. I haven't started revising properly, I did for my mock then faded out again, have you?
Nice! I am doing the same as you but Weather instead of ecosystems . I have started revising but not hard core, I'm just getting my notes and trying to understand little bits. At my school we have march mocks so it is inevitable that I am revising. I am going to really do hardcore revision in Easter, but I am going to continue revision and got all my resources ready from now, so my revision cards, notes, posters etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads