The Student Room Group

Some questions with ATAS

So I have to complete this application because I will be studying Biochem Eng for my Master's. So far I got several questions and it'd be nice to hear about people who have completed this application before so that I know I'm not making any mistake. Any comments are appreciated.

1. On the section where you have to tell them why you're interested in the program, how detailed does it have to be? As for now I only wrote 5 sentences which is the minimum requirement for this section. I try to be as concise and straight to the point as possible. I don't know if people would actually read it if I wrote too long. If so, can I just copy and paste my statement of purpose that I submitted along with my postgrad application?

2. I don't know who I should use for references. The references I used on my postgrad application came from my professors but I haven't known them that for that long (ATAS guideline says at least 3 years). Plus, my university for undergrad is not in my homecountry, so I don't have anybody to be a referee and (ATAS guideline also says they want at least 1 referee to be from your homecounty) Can I just put one of my relative's contact info? (likely to be my cousin because she has studied in UK before) but then they also say the referees can't be friends or family :frown:
Will they really contact my referees?

3. Anybody knows the successful rate of the ATAS application? Should I be worried about it too much?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm also applying for ATAS this year, for undergrad physics. According to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062110 (scroll down to #9-10) they do not contact referees, generally. But I don't know of any other source; does anyone else have information to back this up?

Success rate really depends on the country. I believe that if you are from a "safe" country the success rate is basically 100%. Iranians are the only ones to really have any problems.
Reply 2
Can't imagine it's been 3 months already since I first wrote this thread XD. Almost forgot about it until I received an email.
So I already applied and got accepted. The application was successful. First I emailed them but they didn't reply my email and then I sent it again a week after then they said it's ok to use professors' names in your university and not the country you actually come from. Also, I was kinda certain that they didn't contact my professors because I read another thread and most people seemed to say they never contact the people.
Original post by chainiwatmj
Can't imagine it's been 3 months already since I first wrote this thread XD. Almost forgot about it until I received an email.
So I already applied and got accepted. The application was successful. First I emailed them but they didn't reply my email and then I sent it again a week after then they said it's ok to use professors' names in your university and not the country you actually come from. Also, I was kinda certain that they didn't contact my professors because I read another thread and most people seemed to say they never contact the people.

Hey!
Please how long did it take for them to issue you the certificate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending