The Student Room Group

English language vs english literature alevel

Im sorry for posting the age old debate, but I need help on which one to pick. I got an A in GCSE lang and a B ( 3 UMS marks off an A) In lit. I like doing the linguistic interpretations of things i.e " the minor sentence reflects the harsh reality of...." that kinda thing. Is that more English language or literature?
Useful comments and advice is very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, I got the same grades at gcse (b lit and a lang) but chose literature for A-level (got an A at AS, so going well so far). Lit is much more analytical and involves reading and writing about famous novels, plays and poetry plus some creative writing yourself. This, for me, was much more engaging than languange, which at gcse was just recounting information from factual texts and writing persuasive letters which was soo boring. The linguistic interpretation is much more analytical and so I'd recommend literature both generally and for you personally, good luck whatver you choose :smile:
I take both lit and lang at AS.

Literature is reading novels and poetry and plays and analysing the meanings and themes.

Language is the techniques used in texts, looking at the genre audience and purpose, and the reasons why they were created. You also look at how technology, power and gender affect language.

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest