Do I pay more attention to the local or national side of the election?

Watch
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This has been the first year I've been able to vote in a national election, so I've been doing my research.

I'm not going to get into which parties I'm talking about here, because I don't want to start any type of debate about that, so I'll just say party 1 and party 2. I am torn between two parties. I was leaning more towards party 2, and at present, was pretty sure that was who I was going to vote for. That was until I looked at my local candidates. The candidate for party 1 blows party 2 out of the water, and I don't think I could vote for party 2's candidate as she is extremely young, inexperienced, and her and her canvassers are generally annoying and have put me off when I've spoke to them.

So this creates a dilemma for me. On a national level, I'd vote for party 2 (maybe 60% over party 1). However on a local level, I'd vote for party 1. I like the candidate and think she would do a good job in my area.

What would you do in this situation? I'm finding it tough to decide!
tupper_ware
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How close is the race between party 1 and party 2 in your area normally?
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
National for the MP, local for the district council.

I have voted for 2 different parties in the past.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unless you have a local MP who is particularly well known for local politics then they are mostly a waste of time due to how politics works (whips).

So, basically, Reue has it right.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Airfairy)
This has been the first year I've been able to vote in a national election, so I've been doing my research.

I'm not going to get into which parties I'm talking about here, because I don't want to start any type of debate about that, so I'll just say party 1 and party 2. I am torn between two parties. I was leaning more towards party 2, and at present, was pretty sure that was who I was going to vote for. That was until I looked at my local candidates. The candidate for party 1 blows party 2 out of the water, and I don't think I could vote for party 2's candidate as she is extremely young, inexperienced, and her and her canvassers are generally annoying and have put me off when I've spoke to them.

So this creates a dilemma for me. On a national level, I'd vote for party 2 (maybe 60% over party 1). However on a local level, I'd vote for party 1. I like the candidate and think she would do a good job in my area.

What would you do in this situation? I'm finding it tough to decide!
I'd personally vote on a national basis in a General Election. It's up to you though, different people will have different views on this.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One of the reasons I am voting for the other candidate in this election is because our current MP sucks, and has said some pretty offensive things.

When voting for an MP it is usually better to vote tactically in favour of who you would prefer nationally. But don't let a terrible candidate put you off not voting for them just because you lean towards their party nationally. Some constituencies would elect Kermit the Frog if you stuck a Labour or Conservative badge on him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads