Feel too 'stupid' for uni/education Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys, it's a bit long but please bare with as I would really appreciate some advice!:

I'm thinking of leaving my job and returning to some sort of study in September.
I'm 24, and left six form 5 years ago this summer. After leaving I went straight into work and now work as a manager in a supermarket.

I feel quite passionate about becoming a career advisor, and probably studying sociology to get there (a subject that does interest me).
However, a bit of background:

I was always a 'good' and 'hardworking' student, however I got average GCSES (Cs with a few Bs), average AS, and awful A2s.
In secondary school I retook year 6- I started at a private school, and they thought it would be best if I retook the year, as I seemed to struggle at the time- whether that's to get another years money out of me...
I'm likely dyslexic (Mum, sister, brother and aunty are), however I'm undiagnosed.
In light of the retake, I was always too stubborn to take any sort of test or dertime if I was actually dyslexic, as admittely I was in denial and too proud.

Fast forward to GCSES/A Levels- I did really well in coursework and essays, however struggled miserably in exams- I've never been good with them.

Back to the future:

I'm unsure what level of education to enter at- do I attened an adult college and do a GCSE in sociology, or jump into A Levels?
Or bypass that complelty and enter uni with the UCAS points I have (can just squeeze in)?

Is it even worth me returning to education? I just feel like my brain has turned a bit mushy over he last 5 years, and have forgotten a lot of basics (like punctuation), and my spelling is shocking (rely on spell check). Don't even talk to me about maths!
I'm worried about jumping out of my comfort zone, and committing myself to years of study, only to drown in the deep end and get nothing out of it.
At the same time I'm scared of staying in an unfullfing job, and one that is serverly poorly paid.

Thoughts?

Ps.

Sorry wasn't sure where to post this as it wasn't strictly uni related, and thougt it was more 'life advice' related.
Also wanted to be anon due to revealing about my desire to leave my job!
BeachClub
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First off, stop underestimating yourself. You are all you have, so you need to be at all times motivated, self assured, and confident. With the correct mind-frame and strategy, you can become anything you envision.

1) Go to the GP and find out whether or not you are dyslexic. You said you did not do this earlier because of 'pride', yet there is no 'shame' in being dyslexic.

2) I see no reason why you should need to decide between those options. You could, for example, apply to colleges as you say where you could then take A Levels and GCSEs if necessary; at the same time, you could send off a UCAS application as a "trial-run" -- if it works, you get to turn down college and enrol at university immediately. If it fails, you'll still be on-target to begin at college and apply through UCAS at a later date.
callum_law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd advise your enrolling on an Access course. I did one last year and there a lot of people in the same position as you, i.e. they have been out of education for some time. It will get you back on your academic feet, as it were.

I had mostly Cs and some Bs for my GCSEs. I got all Distinctions on my Access course and I am now studying Law at a Russell Group uni. It's a supportive framework and you can go as far as you want with the qualification.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BeachClub)
First off, stop underestimating yourself. You are all you have, so you need to be at all times motivated, self assured, and confident. With the correct mind-frame and strategy, you can become anything you envision.

1) Go to the GP and find out whether or not you are dyslexic. You said you did not do this earlier because of 'pride', yet there is no 'shame' in being dyslexic.

2) I see no reason why you should need to decide between those options. You could, for example, apply to colleges as you say where you could then take A Levels and GCSEs if necessary; at the same time, you could send off a UCAS application as a "trial-run" -- if it works, you get to turn down college and enrol at university immediately. If it fails, you'll still be on-target to begin at college and apply through UCAS at a later date.
I'm deffo motivated and confident in life and my job- but yeah the thought of education is just a bit different and slightly dawnting tbh.

I'm not too fussed about the dyslexic thing anymore. I know there's no shame in it, I'm fully aware of that now!
I'm just indifferent too it. Whether I'am or not, nothing changes.

I think it's partly because I never really wanted to go to uni I'm the first place.
I rather do things practically, or do a college course and enter lower down on the job ladder.
With the little research I've done on career advisory roles so far, you can do a college course and with the relevant experince just do a one year qualification on career advise at uni.

I think 'starting from scratch' kinda appeals to me as well. New slate, new start, warm myself you, etc.
BeachClub
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm deffo motivated and confident in life and my job- but yeah the thought of education is just a bit different and slightly dawnting tbh.

I'm not too fussed about the dyslexic thing anymore. I know there's no shame in it, I'm fully aware of that now!
I'm just indifferent too it. Whether I'am or not, nothing changes.

I think it's partly because I never really wanted to go to uni I'm the first place.
I rather do things practically, or do a college course and enter lower down on the job ladder.
With the little research I've done on career advisory roles so far, you can do a college course and with the relevant experince just do a one year qualification on career advise at uni.

I think 'starting from scratch' kinda appeals to me as well. New slate, new start, warm myself you, etc.
In that case, I recommend you go ahead and apply for college courses and enjoy life with a fresh new start. Good luck!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by callum_law)
I'd advise your enrolling on an Access course. I did one last year and there a lot of people in the same position as you, i.e. they have been out of education for some time. It will get you back on your academic feet, as it were.

I had mostly Cs and some Bs for my GCSEs. I got all Distinctions on my Access course and I am now studying Law at a Russell Group uni. It's a supportive framework and you can go as far as you want with the qualification.
Thanks fo that post. I've immediately done a quick Google search for access
Course and come across Open University.
Looks interesting!
callum_law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks fo that post. I've immediately done a quick Google search for access
Course and come across Open University.
Looks interesting!
No problem.

You can do one at an FE college, part-time if you don't want to fully commit to the pathway.

Good luck!
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You know dyslexic people are good at 3D modelling. You thought about becoming a 3D artist in the vfx, film, videogame industry?

One of my lecturers is a super succesful VFX artist and is dyspraxic and dyslexic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.53%
No I am happy with my course choice (538)
59.58%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.17%

Watched Threads