geeeeek
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How do you calculate the median from a set of grouped data in a cumulative frequency table? Pls give an example and steps. Thanks
Fallen99
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by geeeeek)
How do you calculate the median from a set of grouped data in a cumulative frequency table? Pls give an example and steps. Thanks
Attached files
geeeeek
Rep:
i used this and it still didnt work? idk why. pls explain
Chittesh14
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It usually doesn't work like that, you should just draw the graph. I researched for hours, didn't find nothing. You post some unusual questions haha :P, just saying, it's not bad . You either draw the graph or just guess it using this method, in my opinion:

(Total number of values +1 / 2) = median is in those values.

So let's say there are 10 cucumbers and we are finding the length of them.

The median length will be in the 4th or 5th cucumber.

It's hard to explain.
Just read this article, solution - Example 3:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/proje...ok9/bk9_16.pdf

Try reading the whole thing if possible.
Fallen99
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chittesh14)
It usually doesn't work like that, you should just draw the graph. I researched for hours, didn't find nothing. You post some unusual questions haha :P, just saying, it's not bad . You either draw the graph or just guess it using this method, in my opinion:

(Total number of values +1 / 2) = median is in those values.

So let's say there are 10 cucumbers and we are finding the length of them.

The median length will be in the 4th or 5th cucumber.

It's hard to explain.
Just read this article, solution - Example 3:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/proje...ok9/bk9_16.pdf

Try reading the whole thing if possible.
I find it easier to do with a graph and u r right it is hard to explain
geeeeek
Rep:
What if I give you guys an example????

Number of tunes -----Number of weeks--------- Cumulative frequency

0-3 -----------------------------10--------------------
4-7 ------------------------------8--------------------
8-11----------------------------- 5----------------------
12-15 ---------------------------11---------------------
16-19----------------------------14--------------------

You are supposed to fill in the cumulative frequency, then calculate the median from this data. I already know how to calculate the cumulative frequency, but pls explain the next steps and how you got your answers.
Chittesh14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What if I give you guys an example????

Number of tunes Number of weeks Cumulative frequency

0-3 10
4-7 8
8-11 5
12-15 11
16-19 14

You are supposed to fill in the cumulative frequency, then calculate the median from this data. I already know how to calculate the cumulative frequency, but pls explain the next steps and how you got your answers.
Can you please post the full question or take a photo? Also, make it in a table, at the moment, the information seems to be unclear. What is the whole question? Like, the question doesn't really make sense. The number of tunes played by students in 48 weeks?
geeeeek
Rep:
loool i just seen this. I edited it for you, hope it helps. And the no. of tunes is the grouped data and the number of weeks is the frequency
Chittesh14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
loool i just seen this. I edited it for you, hope it helps. And the no. of tunes is the grouped data and the number of weeks is the frequency
I understood it the first time, but just couldn't figure out what the information actually displayed haha. Nevertheless, I'll get back to you onto this, a bit busy at the moment, try drawing the graph first of all, get an answer to it. I'll draw a graph too in a while, see if our answers match from the graph's median? Then, we'll discuss how to work it out from the table.
Dave1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You add the frequencies together to get the total cumulative frequency, in your example:
10+8+5+11+14 = 48
You can then +1 to give 49 (when there's an odd number of results the median is the middle number)
You then divide your 49 by 2:
49/2 = 24.5
You then look down the cumulative frequency column and find out which group this number lies in, in this example the median lies within group 12-15.
If you want to draw a cumulative frequency graph for a more accurate answer you read off the cumulative frequency axis from 24.5 (again, middle ***. frequency) then where this intersects with the curve you read down to the x axis where the groups are shown and that will give you your more accurate median (it will show you exactly which number), it will be towards the lower end of the group (maybe 12?).
Hope this helps, there's probably some youtube videos on it if you have a look.
Chittesh14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dave1999)
You add the frequencies together to get the total cumulative frequency, in your example:
10+8+5+11+14 = 48
You can then +1 to give 49 (when there's an odd number of results the median is the middle number)
You then divide your 49 by 2:
49/2 = 24.5
You then look down the cumulative frequency column and find out which group this number lies in, in this example the median lies within group 12-15.
If you want to draw a cumulative frequency graph for a more accurate answer you read off the cumulative frequency axis from 24.5 (again, middle ***. frequency) then where this intersects with the curve you read down to the x axis where the groups are shown and that will give you your more accurate median (it will show you exactly which number), it will be towards the lower end of the group (maybe 12?).
Hope this helps, there's probably some youtube videos on it if you have a look.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying . Thanks for explaining it in a detailed way, I'm sure this will help him better . Furthermore, the only reason I didn't explain it properly is because he wanted to find the median which is not possible, it'll be 12-15, it could be: 12,13,14 or 15 which is why we can only guess it through the table and we cannot answer his question. The cumulative frequency graph is the best way . I'm pretty sure his question is asking "What is the median group for this cumulative frequency table?" Maybe he's just forgotten or misunderstanding the question, reason being why we are all struggling to answer it.
Dave1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chittesh14)
Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying . Thanks for explaining it in a detailed way, I'm sure this will help him better . Furthermore, the only reason I didn't explain it properly is because he wanted to find the median which is not possible, it'll be 12-15, it could be: 12,13,14 or 15 which is why we can only guess it through the table and we cannot answer his question. The cumulative frequency graph is the best way . I'm pretty sure his question is asking "What is the median group for this cumulative frequency table?" Maybe he's just forgotten or misunderstanding the question, reason being why we are all struggling to answer it.
Maybe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads