Jakerc1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just wondering about your experiences. I don't consider myself posh at all,but my accent says otherwise, everyone i meet for the first time just assume i'm really upper class from my accent, which isn't the case at all. I'm middle class as ****. I'm going to university in September and i've heard alot about meeting people from different parts of the country, the North/south debate and all. How accepting were the people from your university, I don't want to be known as 'that posh **** who always brings a bottle of port to pre-drinks' although I will do that.
Thanks.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just own it. Bring that bottle of port - or better yet bring your own ingredients to make gin spritz. Wear a bow tie or cravat.
DeadEnd_96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People make fun of me sometimes for speaking in a posh accent. I try to talk normally like others but I just can't help it, it feels natural for me to talk in a posh accent. I suppose its just the way I am. Also people get quite surprised when they first hear me talk, because they would never expect a Sri Lankan like me to talk with a posh accent.
channies
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Posh accents are the best #workitgurl
Maths and cheesecake
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I always say to girls they have a really posh accent, and they seem to get off on the idea of being posh, hahah! I can't stand it, so secretly I tell them you sound like **** to me.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not a big deal, my friends make fun of my accent because apparently I sound like a ****-for-brains American, we make fun of my southern friends for being related to an obsolete monarch and make fun of the northern ones for being sheep herders and drunks, it's all in good fun :P
aoxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Apparently I have a posh accent.

I call it proper pronunciation.
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
There's nothing wrong with being well-spoken lool.

Like I've been said to have a 'posh' accent, not that I look like one to have one. People seem to assume that speaking a good level of English i.e. pronouncing your words correctly makes you posh. meh.
physicsandbeer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I grew up in Southend but in a very middle class family and people always say I have a posh accent. I think I just don't have a strong accent because my whole family are quite neutrally spread across the south east.
entershikari
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
posh southern english accents are hot work it gurl
Jakerc1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by entershikari)
posh southern english accents are hot work it gurl
Well I'm male, and not from the south

Posted from TSR Mobile
entershikari
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jakerc1)
Well I'm male, and not from the south

Posted from TSR Mobile
where are you from?
and I was aware I was hoping you'd read my reply in a sassy american accent :cool:
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most people up North think I speak posh because I'm from the South but aside from a comment every so often your accent shouldn't get in the way of you making friends. I'm not posh at all though and actually come from a low income background.
Cutty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's a difference between bog standard southern accents specific to different regions, then there's RP, then you see posh accents in aristocrats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chris22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People might take the mic from time to time, but it's not a big deal. One of my best mates at Uni was really posh, we are from really different backgrounds, but it didn't effect anything!
NotJustAName
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People are generally so much more open minded at uni. Embrace your accent and be proud of it; I am sure a lot of people would like to have it as their own.
Nuclear Ghost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A friend of mine has a posh London accent, and was so nerdy and awkward that he was the butt of many a joke. Eventually, he went to study abroad, and practically every girl fell for the accent. With so many foreign students at university anyway, I see no reason to be ashamed. The awkward nerd part also played a role for my friend. In fact, I see the whole accent thing as an advantage!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lotusbloom
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'll get a few jokes cracked if you don't have the regional accent of wherever you go to uni but it's nothing serious and shouldn't hold you back. If anything it makes you a bit different I love hearing lots of different accents at uni you'll probably get lots of compliments too.
superman_38
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I went to a grammar school but I know this guy from Durham University who went to Eton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-YV...ature=youtu.be

You think he sounds posh?
Canucked
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm hard of hearing (was profoundly deaf as a toddler) and attended many years of speech therapy. I have Auditory Processing Disorder. My parents have cockney and Thames estuary accents and my sister's have Canadian accents (they dropped their English accents nearly right off the plane.) In the UK, I've heard many people ask about my 'posh' accent and have relatives who've always taken the piss out of the way I talk. I've been unable to pick up a Canadian accent. Unable to pick up the same accent my parents speak with. On the positive side, Canadians and Americans say I have a beautiful speaking voice. When I try to speak in a different accent, I've been told it's painfully obvious that I'm partially deaf and to cease and desist.

I would like to slip into other accents. Or at least have an accent that fit in with my surroundings for once. I wish my speech therapists had taught my to speak like my family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (5)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (3)
10%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
10%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
36.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (6)
20%

Watched Threads