Turn on thread page Beta

The mega law gcse ocr 2015 thread! watch

ReputationRep:
    Ocr gcse law is a pretty obscure gcse< lets help each other out!!!
    Which units do you find hard and why?
    How prepared are you?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Loyale)
    Ocr gcse law is a pretty obscure gcse< lets help each other out!!!
    Which units do you find hard and why?
    How prepared are you?
    Heya, I'm going to put this in the Law forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=225

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing law - I have my first exam on Monday. I feel well-prepared knowledge-wise, I'm just concerned with answering the questions in a way that can obtain full marks.
    I find Unit 4 quite hard, mostly because you have to remember certain aspects of terms, Acts or features of a contract etc.
    What about you? Got any helpful advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdeen16)
    I'm doing law - I have my first exam on Monday. I feel well-prepared knowledge-wise, I'm just concerned with answering the questions in a way that can obtain full marks.
    I find Unit 4 quite hard, mostly because you have to remember certain aspects of terms, Acts or features of a contract etc.
    What about you? Got any helpful advice?
    WOW, youre the first person i know on here that does law gcse...for questions do point,why,remedy (if its a scenario) or for the 9 markers do point explain and effect..depending on the question...This yr its probably going to be consumer protection act and the last question probs gonna be on similarities and differences between utca and utccr...

What grades have you been getting so far...good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you so much for replying! I've found it impossible to find anyone on here who talks about this exam, so I was really relieved to find you.

That's so helpful, thanks; how did you come up with that prediction? Was it based on previous past papers? If it turns out to be true, I'll be pleased since I fell quite confident with those Acts/Regulations... How about you? What are your weakest/strongest units and areas? Do you feel confident for the exam?

I started off with a C grade, but I've pulled it up to an A now. What are your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you so much for replying! I've found it impossible to find anyone on here who talks about this exam, so I was really relieved to find you.

That's so helpful, thanks; how did you come up with that prediction? Was it based on previous past papers? If it turns out to be true, I'll be pleased since I fell quite confident with those Acts/Regulations... How about you? What are your weakest/strongest units and areas? Do you feel confident for the exam?

I started off with a C grade, but I've pulled it up to an A now. What are your predicted grades?
    I meant *feel*

ReputationRep:
    I kept getting constant B's last yr but trying to pull it up to an A*...so I'm predicting myself for an A just like you...for unit 4 its the consumer protectiom act and the detailed little things that come up like when they ask you to identity three main types of exclusion clause or something like that... I based the predictioms on the past exam papers and what's in the text book because questions which are in the textbook the very few, mostly come up

ReputationRep:
    I kept getting constant B's last yr but trying to pull it up to an A*...so I'm predicting myself for an A just like you...for unit 4 its the consumer protectiom act and the detailed little things that come up like when they ask you to identity three main types of exclusion clause or something like that... I based the predictioms on the past exam papers and what's in the text book because questions which are in the textbook the very few, mostly come up

Yes, I had a period of Bs too and I only started getting (just about) As when I went through every single exam paper I did and made notes on all of my weak areas.

How have you revised for law? I wrote up all my revision notes and now I just read them over and over again, occasionally writing out post-it notes on areas I struggle to fully understand. I follow that with a past paper (although I'm just doing the same ones again now because I've completed them all). I haven't revised any case law because apparently it's not necessary for the exam - have you?

ReputationRep:
    nah,you dont need to know any case law

ReputationRep:
    nah,you dont need to know any case law
    That's good.

Getting quite nervous for my exam tomorrow; how confident are you?

ReputationRep:
    That's good.

Getting quite nervous for my exam tomorrow; how confident are you?
    Im really nervous too!!! Ive got two RE exams and before law so ill be exhausted...im really scared, i dont feel like i know anything

ReputationRep:
    Im really nervous too!!! Ive got two RE exams and before law so ill be exhausted...im really scared, i dont feel like i know anything
    Oh no, poor you! How long do you get before moving on to each new exam?

I get where you're coming from; I'm so paranoid about all of my exams too.
    I'm sure you'll be great though, because the advice you gave me was really helpful. Do you need any help on certain areas? I might be able to give some good clarification...?

ReputationRep:
    i think we get early lunch so about an hour or two before law....plus the whole aspect of my concentration levels going out of the window

For law, its the chapter on consumer protections act and the defects it covers...that sort of thing...plus the difference between mere represention and misrepresentation

ReputationRep:
    i think we get early lunch so about an hour or two before law....plus the whole aspect of my concentration levels going out of the window

For law, its the chapter on consumer protections act and the defects it covers...that sort of thing...plus the difference between mere represention and misrepresentation
    Sorry about that, maybe try taking something like a protein bar with you to boost your energy?

The Consumer Protection Act doesn't actually list defects, but this is how you determine if a product is defective: firstly, the definition of a defect is "if the safety of the product is not such as persons generally are entitled to expect, taking into account all the circumstances...". Secondly, to determine if the goods are defective, certain factors can be looked at - the manner and purposes for the product; the time the product was supplied; what is reasonably expected to be done with the product; the market; any warnings; the way in which the consumer used the products, and any warnings as to what to do with the product. For instance, (I think this came up in the 2011 paper) as a hypothetical situation, if a consumer's product came with a warning (e.g. don't allow children under 5 years to play with this due to choking hazards) and the consumer ignored this, they couldn't sue the seller for any harm caused because it was the consumer's own fault for ignoring the warnings. Therefore you can't claim it's defective because it was the consumer's fault.

The difference between a mere representation and a misrepresentation is that a mere representation is a true statement made during negotiations of a contract, designed to entice the consumer in and not to be a binding obligation. However, a misrepresentation is exactly the same thing (statement of material fact, during negotiations etc. etc.) but it's untrue, lied or falsely stated. You can get a remedy if there's a misrepresentation.

Hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else you need clarification on!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that, maybe try taking something like a protein bar with you to boost your energy?

The Consumer Protection Act doesn't actually list defects, but this is how you determine if a product is defective: firstly, the definition of a defect is "if the safety of the product is not such as persons generally are entitled to expect, taking into account all the circumstances...". Secondly, to determine if the goods are defective, certain factors can be looked at - the manner and purposes for the product; the time the product was supplied; what is reasonably expected to be done with the product; the market; any warnings; the way in which the consumer used the products, and any warnings as to what to do with the product. For instance, (I think this came up in the 2011 paper) as a hypothetical situation, if a consumer's product came with a warning (e.g. don't allow children under 5 years to play with this due to choking hazards) and the consumer ignored this, they couldn't sue the seller for any harm caused because it was the consumer's own fault for ignoring the warnings. Therefore you can't claim it's defective because it was the consumer's fault.

The difference between a mere representation and a misrepresentation is that a mere representation is a true statement made during negotiations of a contract, designed to entice the consumer in and not to be a binding obligation. However, a misrepresentation is exactly the same thing (statement of material fact, during negotiations etc. etc.) but it's untrue, lied or falsely stated. You can get a remedy if there's a misrepresentation.

Hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else you need clarification on!
    *Please forgive me - a representation could be true and represent the intentions of the party but if it is to entice the consumer then it remains a representation; if it is, however, intended to actually become a binding obligation then it can become a term of the contract.

ReputationRep:
    How was the unit 4 exam????
    Im scared for unit 3, its my weakest because of the health and safety and the dismissal stuff...but the unit 4 went surprisingly well

ReputationRep:
    How was the unit 4 exam????
    Im scared for unit 3, its my weakest because of the health and safety and the dismissal stuff...but the unit 4 went surprisingly well
    It wasn't too bad, I was quite happy with the questions since I knew how to answer most of them. Unfortunately, I rushed a bit on some so my handwriting wasn't the neatest... The only one I wasn't sure of was when you had to select the type of defendant under the Consumer Protection Act 1987 - I was unsure if the first one was an own-brander or supplier. I was really pleased with the 9 mark question, though, firstly because I had lots of time to complete it in, and secondly because I was confident in the benefits and limitations. However, I'm not sure if my P.E.E. writing was very good. I am going absolutely crazy thinking about all the things I should have done... hindsight's a pain!

Yes, Unit 3 is quite hard, especially with the Six Pack. I'm quite scared too, since there's lots of duties and whatnot to remember.

If you had to guess your grade just based on the Unit 4 paper, what would it be?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know probably a B maybe, BTW the invigilator left the exam room for two mintutes.. We only hadone invigilator, but no one cheated. Unit three I'm cramming for because I've got an ICT exam tomorrow and I have to balance it with law. Might do lots of health and safety stuff and termination of employment

ReputationRep:
    I don't know probably a B maybe, BTW the invigilator left the exam room for two mintutes.. We only hadone invigilator, but no one cheated. Unit three I'm cramming for because I've got an ICT exam tomorrow and I have to balance it with law. Might do lots of health and safety stuff and termination of employment
    Oh no, are invigilators allowed to do that? I had an invigilator who wouldn't stop yawning loudly every five seconds... got on my nerves.

Isn't it hard having to balance subjects? I have to revise for law while revising for my English exam, which is coming up in June. I also have to keep maths up, too. I'm panicking a little as to how to balance it. Are you frantically reading your notes over and over again, like me?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just cramming for each exam as they come along, I'm gonna make sure I balance each day...I'm really bad at balancing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 4, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.