The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Gimp
I applied to Sentinel Towers in the end btw, if anyone cares :tongue:

Though whether I get placed there (and whether I get the grades I need :frown:) is another matter. :smile:

Hey, I've just applied for Sentinel Towers too btw! I got a bit worried B4 when I was informed that most of the students there were foreign (I'm not good with languages! Though I do speak a bit of French! :redface: )

Oh, I am hoping to do Law @ Leeds though I need AAA!! aaagghhh.....
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 41
I applied to the clarence dock, anyone else?
Reply 42
I've applied to Leodis. :smile:
Reply 43
I've applied to Bodington Catered. Offers everything I want but the only downide is obviously the distance from uni. They have also recently put in connections in each room so if you have a computer you can connect directly to the network and thats not to mention the computer clusters there already is.

Bodington apparently has its own little community outside the one of the uni with its own inter house competitions e.g. football etc and balls. So the social side of the whole place is proabably the major factor. The rooms are relatively decent size and as its majority of students living there i would expect it to be safer than some other places as everyone would watch out for one another.

Devonshire is proabbaly the best accomodation but apaprentll its very over subscribed so i didn't want to risk getting put somewhere I didn't know. Its also full of alot of higher class people so there are a few snobs about.

Ive been posting on www.luuonline.com/messageboards which is the leeds union messageboard and you can find out ALOT of info from students on there regading all the accomadation. Hope this has been of some help to people who may have not applied yet
Reply 44
Ste2k4

Devonshire is proabbaly the best accomodation but apaprentll its very over subscribed so i didn't want to risk getting put somewhere I didn't know. Its also full of alot of higher class people so there are a few snobs about.

Snobs can be found everywhere I think. I've applied to Leodis which is expensive, not because i'm very rich but because it has facilities for whcich I would have to pay anyway if I didn't apply there. I don't think that I will have problems with snobs, will just ignore them.
Reply 45
If i run into snobs i will go out of my way to bring them down a peg or two. We're are equals despite where we're from or class we are in, they won't be snobs for long while i'm about..............also i don't mean violently or anything, just major pranking!
Reply 46
hey,
i've been at leeds uni for a year now and i lived in tetley hall which was really good. i'd definatly recomend it. its the smallest of the catered halls which is good because it means its easier to get to know lots of people and makes it seem more like a community than somewhere like boddington where even if you are the most sociable person in the world you're never going to to be able to reconise even half of the the people there!
tetley is in headingley, the main student area, which means there are plenty of pubs and shops around which is useful, its also got a really frequent bus service (about 6 different buses go from it into uni and town) and its only a 30 min walk to uni.
the rooms are alright - in the main block they are a decent size with a basin, wardrobe, desk, easy chair, desk chair, bed and shelves. oh and possible a pin board. theyu are reasonable sized...possible a bit bigger than the ones in othe rplaces ive seen but about average really. in the 6 victorian houses its a bit different...some rooms are massive, some are a bit smaller, some are shared and others are single...but all pretty nice really.
the food is alright, edible if not always enjoyable! i think again becasue its a smaller hall the meals are slightly less mass produced....you get nice home-made cakes and soup and stuff like that which is really nice. however being catered definatly has it advantages...even if the food isn' great meal times are a fantastic time to meet people and spend time with friends....since everyone in the hall is eating the dining room at roughly the same time you get to reconise more people, and get to know different people when you end up sitting ont he same table. at tetley 3 times a week the meals were 'family sevice' where basically the meal was ata set time (12.45 on sunday for sunday roast, and 6 on monday and tuesday) and everyone sits down in tables of 8 and you get a big portion of food to share out between you (ie one pie etc) this was good cos you often sat with people you otherwise wouldn't speak to, and the rest of the week its just cafeteria style. all emals at bod are cafeteria and i think all meals at oxley are family serivce but i could be wrong.
the jcr committee are also meangt to organise lotsa social activities in the hall, although they were a bit crap last year but the things that were organised (halloween party, pub crawls, etc) were quite good.

hmm well thats tetley really....but wherever you go i'ms ure will be fine, it depends more on who you are living with than where you are lving really...which i think makes catered halls a bit better cos it means that you are morelikely to meet more people and so more likely to meet people you like but that by no way means all self-catering flats are unsociable!

Latest