The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RedManc
Not always the case, I had to pick BTEC's because I had bowel problems.

Did you enjoy? If you had the choice to do something else would you?…
I actually don't mind BTEC's, I think they're hard work if people don't cheat but I also think for the effort people put in, it's not respected enough
Reply 21
Original post by zayn008
Did you enjoy? If you had the choice to do something else would you?…
I actually don't mind BTEC's, I think they're hard work if people don't cheat but I also think for the effort people put in, it's not respected enough

I agree, I would prefer BTEC's over A Levels, because in A Levels you could have an off day, like I did last year, which could screw up your grades.
Reply 22
Original post by RedManc
I agree, I would prefer BTEC's over A Levels, because in A Levels you could have an off day, like I did last year, which could screw up your grades.

Yeah… Its tough because You might not know something properly, the exam could be tough or be on your weak spots or you could be having a bad day but at least with Btecs you're given the chance to iron out what you struggle with and to go back and improve
BTEC is lit
Reply 24
Original post by zayn008
Yeah… Its tough because You might not know something properly, the exam could be tough or be on your weak spots or you could be having a bad day but at least with Btecs you're given the chance to iron out what you struggle with and to go back and improve

Yeah. I agree. I also think that BTEC's are underrated.
Why doesn't medicine/dentistry accept BTECs? Because it doesn't prove you are academically able to meet and cope with the high academic standards of the course
Why doesn't oxbridge accept BTECs? Because they want the most academically able people! BTECs doesn't prove this. There are idiots who get D*.
(edited 7 years ago)
**** off ****
Original post by samcrossley28
Guys, what do u think. are btecs really for idiots

It, really depends. The word idiot is subjective, first of all.

Is it for those less academically able? Yeah, it can be. People who struggle with more conventional qualifications may succeed in a more vocational course.

Does that mean anyone who does BTEC’s are “idiots?” Nope. I know of a couple people who achieved 8 A/A*’s at GCSE, and chose to do BTEC performing arts. It’s all about personal preferences.
Reply 28
No. For some peoples' chosen career paths a vocational course could be the perfect choice. Doesn't make them an idiot.
Its quite hard to quantify to be honest. I'm studying Applied Science at the moment and will hopefully be going to York next year. It is true that BTEC is not equivalent to A level grade wise, a D* is NOT on the same level as an A* don't kid yourself. Compared to A level though BTEC gives you far more skills and hands on experience i have found, a lot of Uni's like this as they are trying to get out of standardized testing in favour of more hands on modules and research tasks
Now as someone who went down the BTEC route. I can say it definitely wasn't because of my intelligence. With my grades I would have gotten into a good sixth form, however I decided to take a BTEC because I needed a good change of pace. And the skills I've learnt on my Level 3 BTEC Extended in Games Design will be useful later in life, I mean, it has given me an outlet to practice programming for Computer Science.

Taking BTEC hasn't affected my University offers in the slightest, as having it sent yesterday, I have already received offers from Liverpool and De Montfort. To those who did not enjoy Secondary School like myself, BTECs are an excellent alternative, and it is foolish to categorise all BTEC applicants as "Idiots", much like the others in this thread.
OF COURSE NOT!

look say you got 4 grade 4's in GCSE than you would be be able to go into a level 2 BTECH

doing a level 3 BTECH diploma is the same as A level's

so in response to your question no if you want to do a BTECH instead of A levels than thats a personal choice

your only an idiot if you go for level 1 or entry level
Reply 32
Original post by Chaz254
People who are too lazy or dumb to get a good grade in a proper A-Level choose BTECs. Sorry if it's harsh but it's just the way it is.

Wow, this is where all the stigma comes from^. You obviously have a very limited understanding of a BTEC - just a small-minded comment. The assumption that BTEC is just for people like this is untrue.

First of all, a Level 3 BTEC is equivalent to 1 A-Level. Some people pick a BTEC in a subject simply because an A-level isn't offered in the same subject in their school for example. Some people also pick them because they prefer independent work and coursework rather than doing exams (although now some BTECS do have exams). For example, I picked BTEC applied science because I wanted to do all sciences combined rather than Bio, Chem, Physics individually. It suited me fine. I had the options to do several Alevels, but BTECs suit me just fine and I do plan on going to university.

Moreover, there are several advantages of choosing a BTEC over an A-level - and this all depends on your preference and the path you want to take for your future.
BTEC’s are not equivalent to A Levels, they are only equivalent in the sense they are both Level 3 qualifications because of the stage of education people decide to take them in, therefore they have equal UCAS points. That is not to say one is better than the other, they are unequal because they are needed for different things.

BTEC’s aren’t for idiots but an idiot with a solid work ethic could excel in them.
I say this because my schools BTEC average grade was a D*, and the average student gets D*D*D. While my schools A Level average is a C+ and a typical student gets BCC.
One of my friends took two BTEC’s and an A Level, achieving D*D*E.

A Levels require memory retention, an ability to deal with pressure, and executing specific techniques. I often see people say BTEC’s are A Levels for people good at exams, no that is not true. BTEC’s are essentially just project work as if you were doing a solo job. Time management and decent research skills is all that is required, but that suits the skills needed considering it’s a vocational qualification.

So yes, to excel at A Levels you need to be in some way intelligent. To excel at BTEC’s you don’t. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing, and it doesn’t mean people that do them are idiots at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GovernmentEarner
BTEC’s are not equivalent to A Levels, they are only equivalent in the sense they are both Level 3 qualifications because of the stage of education people decide to take them in, therefore they have equal UCAS points. That is not to say one is better than the other, they are unequal because they are needed for different things.

BTEC’s aren’t for idiots but an idiot with a solid work ethic could excel in them.
I say this because my schools BTEC average grade was a D*, and the average student gets D*D*D. While my schools A Level average is a C+ and a typical student gets BCC.
One of my friends took two BTEC’s and an A Level, achieving D*D*E.

A Levels require memory retention, an ability to deal with pressure, and executing specific techniques. I often see people say BTEC’s are A Levels for people good at exams, no that is not true. BTEC’s are essentially just project work as if you were doing a solo job. Time management and decent research skills is all that is required, but that suits the skills needed considering it’s a vocational qualification.

So yes, to excel at A Levels you need to be in some way intelligent. To excel at BTEC’s you don’t. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing, and it doesn’t mean people that do them are idiots at all.

Couldn't agree more besides the point on memory retention. It might be different for other BTECS and certainly different from A levels but you still need to be studying and remembering things to make sure you don't forgot stuff like calculations when it comes to your assignment. I am on an applied science BTEC rn and going to Uni next sepetember. The biggest drawback i would say for BTEC students going into Uni is that BTEC does not teach very good revision technique for exams. I am doing this in my own time to make sure i am ready..

Latest

Trending

Trending