Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Just thought I'd distract ya'll from coursework and exam revision!

I'm a first year undergrad student, so I just wanted to know perhaps from KS4-KS5, what was your most favourite and least favourite books that you studied?

KS4
    Least favourite(s): The Hound of the Baskervilles and Of Mice and Men. I disliked these ones because I just never had an interest in Crime literature. Of Mice and Men was just annoying as hell because Lennie was just so thick as pig poo, it was unbelievably annoying!

Most favourite(s): Great Expectations, The Woman in Black and To Kill a Mockingbird. GE is what made me adore Victorian fiction; the way that love can hit us, especially young people is still the same as it was 200 years ago and it related to my life at the time. Also from being nothing, to being something is what a lot of adolescence go through at their 14-18 stage - well I know I did when it got to Year 11. WiB was just pure excitement! I loved the suspense of it and I thought it was just ace. TKaM was brilliant. I read it every single year because I just adore Scout and how Harper Lee counteracts the theme of injustice in the world with justice too.

KS5
    Least: Enduring Love. Absolutely couldn't stand the way McEwan drowns on and on about things. Wuthering Heights is just, eww. Enough said.

Most: Birdsong. Big novel, but it was good cause it really depicts the horrors of WW1. Picture of Dorian Gray was brilliant. I read it a year before A2 for pleasure and when I got told we could pick a third text for our A2 c/w, I jumped at the chance and thoroughly enjoyed analysing that text.

Yours doesn't have to be as long as mine. But it's just nice to elaborate. Maybe it will give you some motivation to love Literature and reading again .

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.