Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In good old birmingham ive never personally been mugged
    When i was in year 7 though, I was on a bus to town and my mate was flashing us his new mobile - this 20yr old woman was sitting at the back of the bus, and shortly before we arrived in town she was on the phone.

When me and like 6 other mates got off the bus, we were immediately accosted by some scary looking guy (his eyes were massively dilated) who asked us the usual: 'U got a fone?'

We said no, and walked on, at which point the woman (from the bus reappeared) and the guy with her was getting visibly pissed off (v. scary - esp. to seven grammar school year 7s from nice houses).

It was really scary, one of my friends just legged it at this point, but i was too scared to do this/or to walk into a shop. We were telling passers-by and they simply ignored us/laughed.

The guy then told us to follow him and we were frogmarched (in broad daylight, 1pm, friday) up a fairly busy street for about 5mins, and then taken up a backstreet and on to a deserted and enclosed green by a church.

At this point we were proper *****ed up, afraid that the crackhead guy might rape and kill us all, while his moll stood there smiling at us (bloody *****). He stopped us on the green and asked for the phone again, after some deliberation it was produced. He was held up for a while - asking for the PIN etc.

At this point two guys, one white and one asian approached, they were seriously built and were surely rugger ppl. They approached us and asked us what was going on (kinda obvious really, seven uniformed schoolboys, gangster, gangster's moll). At this point they went right up to the mugger and asked for the phone - the mugger then came out with the biggest blag ever! Saying how my mate had stolen the phone from his little brother and he was simply retrieving it - fecking ********ter.

The two have-a-go-heroes werent buying this blag for ****, and instead ripped the phone out the mugger's hand and handed it over . We thanked the guys, as the mugger strolled off into the distance.

*****ed up about what to do next, we decided to go to the police station, through Birmingham's network of subways (not the greatest idea,eh, having just escaped from a mugger :rolleyes:, lol they have since been filled in because they were so notorious for crimes).

The police took us on a bit of a doomed mission in a squad car, looking for the mugger, who as you would expect - was not stupid enough to be lurking around the main streets of brum. After this, we stayed in the station from literallly about 2.30pm to 9.30pm (yes 9.30pm), fecking pigs and their bureacracy. As you would expect, the mugger was not found - which in a sense is lucky, because i wouldnt want to go to court and have him try and do me over.

Lesson 1: Dont Flash Your Phone esp. on public transport - even innocent looking women are sketchy criminals.
    Lesson 2: ALWAYS make a run for it, if you can (dont let fear stop you)
    Lesson 3: Look out for/have with you/pray for Rugger types to come and save you, because they are fearless (this applies to guys and gals, lol)
    Lesson 4: Avoid the police at all costs, they are timeconsuming *******s and make you feel incriminated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    In good old birmingham ive never personally been mugged
    When i was in year 7 though, I was on a bus to town and my mate was flashing us his new mobile - this 20yr old woman was sitting at the back of the bus, and shortly before we arrived in town she was on the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=phone&v=55">phone</a>.

When me and like 6 other mates got off the bus, we were immediately accosted by some scary looking guy (his eyes were massively dilated) who asked us the usual: 'U got a fone?'

We said no, and walked on, at which point the woman (from the bus reappeared) and the guy with her was getting visibly pissed off (v. scary - esp. to seven grammar <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=school&v=55">school </a> year 7s from nice houses).

It was really scary, one of my <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=friends&v=55">frien ds</a> just legged it at this point, but i was too scared to do this/or to walk into a <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=shop&v=55">shop</a>. We were telling passers-by and they simply ignored us/laughed.

The guy then told us to follow him and we were frogmarched (in broad daylight, 1pm, friday) up a fairly busy street for about 5mins, and then taken up a backstreet and on to a deserted and enclosed green by a church.

At this point we were proper *****ed up, afraid that the crackhead guy might rape and kill us all, while his moll stood there smiling at us (bloody *****). He stopped us on the green and asked for the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=phone&v=55">phone</a> again, after some deliberation it was produced. He was held up for a while - asking for the PIN etc.

At this point two guys, one white and one asian approached, they were seriously built and were surely rugger ppl. They approached us and asked us what was going on (kinda obvious really, seven uniformed schoolboys, gangster, gangster's moll). At this point they went right up to the mugger and asked for the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=phone&v=55">phone</a> - the mugger then came out with the biggest blag ever! Saying how my mate had stolen the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=phone&v=55">phone</a> from his little brother and he was simply retrieving it - fecking ********ter.

The two have-a-go-heroes werent buying this blag for ****, and instead ripped the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=phone&v=55">phone</a> out the mugger's hand and handed it over . We thanked the guys, as the mugger strolled off into the distance.

*****ed up about what to do next, we decided to go to the police station, through Birmingham's <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=network&v=55">netwo rk</a> of subways (not the greatest idea,eh, having just escaped from a mugger :rolleyes:, lol they have since been filled in because they were so notorious for crimes).

The police took us on a bit of a doomed mission in a squad <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=car&v=55">car</a>, looking for the mugger, who as you would expect - was not stupid enough to be lurking around the main streets of brum. After this, we stayed in the station from literallly about 2.30pm to 9.30pm (yes 9.30pm), fecking pigs and their bureacracy. As you would expect, the mugger was not found - which in a sense is lucky, because i wouldnt want to go to court and have him try and do me over.

Lesson 1: Dont <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=Flash&v=55">Flash</a> Your <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=Phone&v=55">Phone</a> esp. on public transport - even innocent looking women are sketchy criminals.
    Lesson 2: ALWAYS make a run for it, if you can (dont let fear stop you)
    Lesson 3: Look out for/have with you/pray for Rugger types to come and save you, because they are fearless (this applies to guys and gals, lol)
    Lesson 4: Avoid the police at all costs, they are timeconsuming *******s and make you feel incriminated!
    pigs? the police are the ones that are gonna save your ass if you get jumped by a gang

idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa7)
    pigs? the police are the ones that are gonna save your ass if you get jumped by a gang

idiot.
    But they really are utterly useless when it comes to muggings.

That's really scary that people will just carry on and continue laughing even if you say "Excuse me please help I'm being mugged."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    But they really are utterly useless when it comes to muggings.

That's really scary that people will just carry on and continue laughing even if you say "Excuse me please help I'm being mugged."
    Its pathetic, and its the kind of society that exists in the UK today. Ive heard of people getting stabbed on the tube and people simply sitting there doing nothing. Its really disgraceful, if this was a country like Germany - youd be arrested for not helping. Maybe something similar should be done in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    This is random, but if your a doctor or a nurse and you drive passed a scene of an accident and don't stop to help and someone sees you and reports it, you could be struck off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Its pathetic, and its the kind of society that exists in the UK today. Ive heard of people getting stabbed on the tube and people simply sitting there doing nothing. Its really disgraceful, if this was a country like Germany - youd be arrested for not helping. Maybe something similar should be done in the UK?
    scientists have done these tests to see how people react to situations involving others. the more people around the less likely someone is going to help, even if asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    scientists have done these tests to see how people react to situations involving others. the more people around the less likely someone is going to help, even if asked.
    Anyway, back on topic, next time, hit and run, got it mattg !?

ReputationRep:
    Well, hm, situations are complex. For example, the other day I was walking home. And I went into this alleyway to take a shortcut.

| |
    | |____
    | ____
    | |
    | |

Imagine that's the alleyway, I was walking up through the bottom, and I could see this guy and this woman walking together from the top. Then suddenly, this guy stepped out of the side alley, and was all "oi" ..his back turned to me so he couldn't see me. He was clearly talking to the woman and the guy. Now I have no clue what was happening but I saw something in the guy's hand. There was no way I was going to take any chances there, so I quickly did a turn around and took the long route home. There was no way I was going to walk into a potential armed attacker. But at the same time, if some older teenager was harassing some 12 year olds in broad daylight and they said "please help me.." I don't think I could condone walking off. If it was a couple of big guys, or one very big one I wouldn't physically intervene. Though I'd do *something*.

So in conclusion, I think society should demand that passers by do *something*, but not necessarily put themselves at risk.

ReputationRep:
    Well, hm, situations are complex. For example, the other day I was walking home. And I went into this alleyway to take a shortcut.

| |
    | |____
    | ____
    | |
    | |

Imagine that's the alleyway, I was walking up through the bottom, and I could see this guy and this woman walking together from the top. Then suddenly, this guy stepped out of the side alley, and was all "oi" ..his back turned to me so he couldn't see me. He was clearly talking to the woman and the guy. Now I have no clue what was happening but I saw something in the guy's hand. There was no way I was going to take any chances there, so I quickly did a turn around and took the long route home. There was no way I was going to walk into a potential armed attacker. But at the same time, if some older teenager was harassing some 12 year olds in broad daylight and they said "please help me.." I don't think I could condone walking off. If it was a couple of big guys, or one very big one I wouldn't physically intervene. Though I'd do *something*.

So in conclusion, I think society should demand that passers by do *something*, but not necessarily put themselves at risk.
    The point is, groups of you would absolutely destroy 1 person/attacker. If you had of waited around abit, and found that the guy was threatening the 2 people, and run up behind him, smacked him round the head, then the other 2 would certainly start pounding his face in as well. I dont know how many of you have been in fights before, but after 1 punch youre pretty disorientated, 2 is like being drunk, and 3 youre pretty much on the floor. You could of taken him easy. And the size of people has nothing to do with anything really, if you tried to wrestle him to the ground by rugby tackling him then obviously it would matter, but when it comes to punching, its all the same..

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, it wasn't as if we asked just the odd person, in all we probably asked about twelve people - nobody was of any help.

Although having said this, people are selfish creatures and will often avoid threats, perceived or real, to their safety.

A few weeks ago, I was on the top deck of the (notorious) number 11 bus coming from school in Birmingham, through a place called Cotteridge ("sket-central" to you and I).

It was a packed bus, with adults and schoolchildren, some skets at the back of the bus came past us on their way to decamp in Cotteridge. One of them brushed my friend and swore at him - saying that his feet had blocked him (yes, that petty). At this point, the largest sket turned around shouting abuse and walked up to my friend - saying that "When you see my brother (the little one who had complained over nothing) you treat him with respect".

My friend agreed and apologised, the big guy then lamped him between the eyes and his little brother smacked my friend in the eye. All this on a packed rush-hour bus, with adults, nothing was said - nobody challenged the skets. What is more, there were about 20 people on the upstairs of the bus from my school, nothing was done.

The skets simply walked off the bus and shouted their 'victory chant' of "pussyholes". My friends face bloated up massively and he had to get medical treatment for a damaged eye socket.

ReputationRep:
    The point is, groups of you would absolutely destroy 1 person/attacker. If you had of waited around abit, and found that the guy was threatening the 2 people, and run up behind him, smacked him round the head, then the other 2 would certainly start pounding his face in as well. I dont know how many of you have been in fights before, but after 1 punch youre pretty disorientated, 2 is like being drunk, and 3 youre pretty much on the floor. You could of taken him easy. And the size of people has nothing to do with anything really, if you tried to wrestle him to the ground by rugby tackling him then obviously it would matter, but when it comes to punching, its all the same..
    That's all a bit risky though, punching people, relying on others to join in.

It's like prisoner's dilemma, if you have a go, then they also have to have ago, otherwise you go down, and they guarantee their freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Trust me, it wasn't as if we asked just the odd person, in all we probably asked about twelve people - nobody was of any help.

Although having said this, people are selfish creatures and will often avoid threats, perceived or real, to their safety.

A few weeks ago, I was on the top deck of the (notorious) number 11 bus coming from school in Birmingham, through a place called Cotteridge ("sket-central" to you and I).

It was a packed bus, with adults and schoolchildren, some skets at the back of the bus came past us on their way to decamp in Cotteridge. One of them brushed my friend and swore at him - saying that his feet had blocked him (yes, that petty). At this point, the largest sket turned around shouting abuse and walked up to my friend - saying that "When you see my brother (the little one who had complained over nothing) you treat him with respect".

My friend agreed and apologised, the big guy then lamped him between the eyes and his little brother smacked my friend in the eye. All this on a packed rush-hour bus, with adults, nothing was said - nobody challenged the skets. What is more, there were about 20 people on the upstairs of the bus from my school, nothing was done.

The skets simply walked off the bus and shouted their 'victory chant' of "pussyholes". My friends face bloated up massively and he had to get medical treatment for a damaged eye socket.
    I guess this is where friends come in, if me or any of my mates got touched by anyone, wed all try and help, even if it meant us getting the crap beaten out of us..

ReputationRep:

It's like prisoner's dilemma, if you have a go, then they also have to have ago, otherwise you go down, and they guarantee their freedom.
    If hes being threatened, I guarantee hed help, if not, youd just smacked someone round the head cleanly(without them expecting it at all) 2/3 times, theyre gonna be in no state to do anything, just leg it.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this is where friends come in, if me or any of my mates got touched by anyone, wed all try and help, even if it meant us getting the crap beaten out of us..
    I feel really guilty, seeing as along with me were another 3/4 people who were pretty close to the guy who was attacked.

However, loyalty aside, these people looked distinctly dodgy and they obviously have nothing to live for outside of petty crime and pettier scrapes. What you also have to recognise is that, other than walking for 1.5 hours, I have to catch that bus and would be certain to run into them again.

I would say that of the four skets, all were skinny, but the oldest one was like 6'4", i would not have chanced taking him on for anybody other than (a family member, v. close friend, girl etc)

Had I/my friends got involved there was:
    a) A certainty that we would have been hit up
    b) A possiblility of being knived
    c) A certainty of reprisals from those skets, even if we did get away

ReputationRep:

Nightmare situation is that whilst you hit the attacker from behind, the victims leg it, and you are stuck with one pissed off mugger.

I've been mugged quite a few times, nothing much was taken. Just talk yourself out of the situation. There was once when this gang of about 5 (I think they were proper professionals because when they came up to me, 3 of them stood around me-all in a circle, whilst one went about 50m up front on a bike and another one 50m behind also on a bike (the bikes were most certainly stolen-they were girls bike)

Then using the gift of my gab I convinced them I didn't have any valuable things with me at the time. I don't know how I managed it, but they left with an acknowledgement of "respect" and the ritual bringing together of fists, that only chavs do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Nightmare situation is that whilst you hit the attacker from behind, the victims leg it, and you are stuck with one pissed off mugger.

I've been mugged quite a few times, nothing much was taken. Just talk yourself out of the situation. There was once when this gang of about 5 (I think they were proper professionals because when they came up to me, 3 of them stood around me-all in a circle, whilst one went about 50m up front on a bike and another one 50m behind also on a bike (the bikes were most certainly stolen-they were girls bike)

Then using the gift of my gab I convinced them I didn't have any valuable things with me at the time. I don't know how I managed it, but they left with an acknowledgement of "respect" and the ritual bringing together of fists, that only chavs do.
    Where were you when this happened?

Chapel Allerton is a good area, as long as you steer clear of Chapel Town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Absolutely, I would say that is the option of choice (so long as it does not incense the mugger), it also works with pissed off nightclub bouncers as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renaissance)
    Where were you when this happened?

Chapel Allerton is a good area, as long as you steer clear of Chapel Town.
    Strangely enough it was about 4.00pm in broad daylight in one of the busiest roads in Leeds...

ReputationRep:
    In the last 6 months my bro has been nearly mugged twice, I say nearly because both times my bro has scared them off, because they're cowards really. I don't even get why people pick on him though, he's like 6ft something and built...

He also nearly got mugged when he was 16 for his CD player by two guys, the guys ended up running off, it shows that they're wimps really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Strangely enough it was about 4.00pm in broad daylight in one of the busiest roads in Leeds...
    It's weird though, I live right near the Hawkie and I often go through there, walk/bus/car etc. and not once have I ever had a problem. I even go through their at night and it's been really safe, even with the townies.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.