The Student Room Group

How I got into Medical School & guides/tips/tricks that helped me!

To those who think the hike into med school is beginning to wear them down, don't quit! Read my mini story and what tactics I used to maximise my chances of getting in. Hopefully it can help any of you out there who feel like you will never get in, or those who don't know where to start.

My story

Secondary school

I didn't do so great at secondary school.
A Levels: B Psychology, B Biology, C Maths & AS B Chemistry C English

I started sixth form with the idea that I wanted options to decide which career path to take, I mean, I was just 16, who really knows anything at 16??

I thought if I take the staples of education i.e. maths, english and biology I would be fine. I also took psychology because it looked awesome. I did Iove psychology and was on track for an A, but missed out in the final exam by 1 mark (something that keeps happening to me).

After a year of deep thought I decide I wanted to go into a career in medicine, I knew I needed to take AS chemistry at least…

So, after getting a C (half a mark off of a B) in English Lit I decided to drop AS English and pick up AS Chemistry - everyone told me people usually drop an AS level as A2 gets harder and it’s easier to concentrate, but I knew I needed some chemistry to stand a chance. It wasn’t an easy year and I ended up getting a B in Chemistry AS (originally a C, but I knew I did well and got it remarked).

Only a mad man would apply to med school with BBC!! they said, and they were right. I needed another plan. I looked into going Biomedical science, then after talking to some people at Newcastle Uni, they told me I could transfer into Medicine after my first year if I achieve high enough. “I have my chance!” I thought to myself.

Biomedical science

I applied to to study Biomedical science at Newcastle, with Plymouth as my back up Univsersity. I got rejected from Newcastle. I was gutted. If I can’t study Biomed at Newcastle, how can I ever get into Medicine?? I asked myself. Determination and tactical applying is the answer.

So, off to Plymouth to study Biomedical science I went. Three hard, fun, emotional and well spent years I graduated with a first class honours. There was times on that course that I didn’t think I would even get a 2:1.

*Note: Doing a dissertation was what saved me, I got 95% in it (which was actually the highest in the year - a combination of hard work, dedication, some sneaky tactics and luck). I have a little guide for my tips for excelling in your dissertation that I’ll be posting soon.

I want to highlight that in my third year, I applied to study medicine. I was unprepared, I had no idea what I was doing and I’m not surprised I got rejected without any interviews. I was also predicted a 2:1, which didn’t help.

Health care assistant

Now starting to feel old and with a degree under my belt I thought I could go and work in an NHS lab as a biomedical scientist and save up more money for medical school whilst applying. BUT, we all know the gold standard of work experience is NHS health care assistant work. I’ll repeat that again, THE GOLD STANDARD IS NHS HCA WORK.

UCAS application

My next hurdle was the personal statement. My biggest piece of advice for this is to really understand the importance of understanding the key skills. No really, break them down (I’ll show you how to use the key skills to your advantage below). I really think this is the essential method to understanding the interviewer/medical school and what they want.

Another area of importance is that of extracurricular activities. Were you on the school council? Did you join any societies? Do you have any hobbies? Remember that club you went to? Write them all down and start thinking of the skills and abilities each have given you. By the time you have finished your first draft, you need to think about getting it below that word count. Once I did this and redrafted a million times with the help of anyone who would help, I sent off my application.

If every sentence is of absolute necessity and you don’t know what would could possibly remove, then you’re doing it right. (Just to give you some insight into how bad my Biomed application was) I actually used the Carl Sagan quote Advances in medicine and agriculture have saved vastly more lives than have been lost in all the wars in history in my personal statement.

The UKCAT

I think the UKCAT is disgusting. The fact that every medical applicant must use the private company ‘Pearson’, that makes you pay a huge amount of money to take a ridiculous one-time test, that is only valid for one year. I think it’s unethical and I’m going to spend the rest of my medical career lobbying against it. But as you HAVE to sit it, I recommend either of these:

ISCMedical 600 UKCAT Practise Questions

Score Higher on the UKCAT: The expert guide from Kaplan

The first time I took the UKCAT, I got almost 700, but was predicted a 2:1, so didn’t get an interview. The second time I took it, when I already had a 1:1, I got 625. This meant I had to totally reevaluate my options! I made an excel spreadsheet with every medical school, whether A level chemistry was required even with a degree and if there was a UKCAT cut off (and what that cut off was).

I was left with only a small handful of medical schools, so I looked at the applicant:tongue:lace ratios, to see which Uni’s I stood the best chance with and chose strategically - I would study medicine in a warzone if it meant I could be a doctor!!

The interview

Months later, I get an interview from Plymouth and an interview from Keele (my dream University). My dreams were getting closer and closer. I read the ISC med school book (essential), I even read another book called “Do No Harm” because I read that some med schools ask “Tell us about a book you’ve read”, and I know this sounds bad, but I didn’t really read. Like ever. Unless it was a scientific paper, wikipedia or reddit.

I learned what the Uni’s were looking for and I made sure I showcased those traits through my own accomplishments and experiences (see below for more details on interview preparation).

But the old saying of “Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail” couldn’t be more true.

Some time after the interview, I get a phone call asking if I can email over scans of my certificates because the “med school” wanted to make me an offer… Which medical school is this? I asked, Keele she replied. I said to the lady on the phone, Did you say you were going to make me an offer? and she replied Yes”. I jumped with joy. That was the best news I had received in my whole life.

The week afterwards, I couldn’t stop smiling. I would be doing the most disgusting work in the ward, cleaning faeces from the floor with a patient shouting at me and I would be in bliss because I knew I was going to medical school. It’s an amazing feeling.

So, after picking the wrong A levels, getting poor results, doing a 3 year degree, being rejected from medicine, working as a HCA for 6 months and reapplying… I finally did it. And it was worth every second of hardship!

****************************************************************************************************************************

My guide/tips to help the process to be a bit easier for those who are a bit clueless:

How to get NHS or care work experience

I needed a job as a HCA in the NHS, so I got applying. Here’s how:

Use any work experience with care to say why you want the job and make sure you put that in your jobs/experience. They really like candidates who have done caring work before.

Apply to multiple HCA jobs - I went for them all around my area (within reason as I had to catch a bus there).

Really spend the time making a strong application, as you can save it on word and paste this into all of the job applications.

If you get an interview there, it will most likely be a couple of nurses and a ward clark/secretary, so don’t worry too much as they will expect you to be nervous (plus nurses are usually lovely).

Make sure you understand the role, have examples of times you’ve cared/shown teamwork and have a quick read about the ward/hospital you will be going to (see my guide below).

If you can’t get a full time HCA job, HCA work is brilliant if you have a gap year, but if you’re still at University, or at school and can’t have a fill time job, then no worries. Call up your local hospital’s human resources department and ask them how you can get health care assistant work as a flexi bank, or if they do NHS professional (apply here: http://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/Pages/Join-Us.aspx). This allows you to work as a HCA, but not directly for a ward with shifts. You actually get to choose your hours (provided you work at least 1 shift per 6 months), which is perfect for most people!

If you can’t get NHS work at all, then apply to an agency (http://www.hclnursing.com/candidates/mydetails.aspx) that the NHS will use when they can’t get their “flexi bank” workers to cover a shift.

If you can’t get ANY work in a hospital for whatever reason, you need to expand your look to nursing homes. Before I could get a HCA job when I was desperate for ANY care experience, I made a list of every nursing home/hospice/disabled children’s home within a 10 mile radius of my house and called every single one for volunteer work. One lady was so impressed with my enthusiasm and motivation that she offered me a job at a nursing home, where I could just leave for Uni and come back and work in the holidays.

And if you can’t get a job in a nursing home/hospice/disabled children's homes… Volunteer. And if you can’t convince someone to let you volunteer anywhere, then maybe rethink medicine lol.

How to prepare for interviews (SUPER QUICK TIPS)

This can be broken down into 6 important steps:

1. Know what the medical school wants

Look on their page for what their “entry requirements” are for the type of applicant. If you can’t find this (most medical schools have this), then use what’s laid out in “Tomorrows doctors”.
Use the list of what they’re looking for to ensure you have an example of why you meet every criteria.

2. Understand the role of a doctor fully (CAMP)
You must know what a doctor does on an average day, what responsibilities they have, what’s the difference between a hospital doctor and a GP, how long it takes to become a consultant etc. The medicalcareers.nhs.uk and BMA is very helpful with these sorts of things. If in doubt, use CAMP:
Clinical - Ward rounds, prescribe medicines, consult with hospital staff, talk to patients, audits
Academic - Teaching other doctors. Eg Consultants teach FY2’s, FY2’s teach med students
Management - Drs have to manage other doctors, their staff and team. So they’re managers.
Personal - They have a role in society, the community and they have a LIFE!!

3. Research the course structure/content
This is self explanatory. Go to the med school website/prospectus and learn whether it’s PBL, integrated, system based, lecture based whatever. You need to know it and you need to understand the pros and cons.

4. Understand the NHS and health news
TSR has an excellent page on current medical issues. I recommend http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health/

5. Know how to answer an ethical question
Firstly, you must understand the four ethical principles, and some of the laws around consent (mental capacity) and confidentiality.

Ethical principles:

Beneficence - do what's in the patients best interest

Non-maleficence - do not harm the patient

Respect for Autonomy - the patient has the right to make decisions about his own body

Justice (equity) - Treatment should be the same for everyone

Here is a link to help get a good grip on medical ethics:
www.bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/medical-students-ethics-tool-kit

Depending on the question, I used two strategies for the two types of ethical question.

First off, define the question, highlight which ethical principles are relevant, bring in any background knowledge you have and I like to say "Well, this is a complex issue because..." before going into it, as it shows you don't take the decision lightly.

Then, this is where we have a difference:

1. If the question is about a patient/dilemma remember address ALL the issues/implications of the decision around it. Use this framework to help:

I'm using a super simple example of "A man is a smoker, discuss the issues?"
- Physical - eg lung, CVD, cancer risk, addiction in brain
- Psychological - addiction, stress, is there emotional reason he smokes?
- Social issues - family, his friends view of it, how people view smokers
- Financial/Economical - the cost of smoking, effecting his job

But ALWAYS remember that your loyalty is with the patient and the patient is ALWYS at the centre of your decision.

2. If the question is just asking about an ethical hot topic, then think about ALL the issues surrounding it, going over the pros and the cons on the subject, showing you've thought laterally (indirectly) as well. I would recommend making a decision at the end if they have asked you too instead of sitting on the fence, unless they've said "Discuss the issues surrounding X".

As long as you keep an open mind completely, weight up the pros and cons fully and ALWAYS put the patient at the centre of your concern, then there is no way they can criticise you.

6. Know your skills & experiences (STARR) (most time should be spent here IMO)

For my interview I had a document for every skill e.g. empathy, teamwork, leadership etc, which broke it down like I did below with communication and also had one or two experiences/stories that happened to me where I demonstrated that skill. I recommend you have one yourself, like a bank of experiences you can break down.

When you’re writing about an experience you’ve had so you can showcase a skill, lets use communication skills as an example, you need to first know what communication skills are:

How to break down the “key skills”

For example, communication is a skill you can say you have developed (never say “gained”, say “developed” or “enhanced”) in one of your jobs/roles. But what does that even mean? What are communication skills? Let’s break it down. I’ve used * asterisks for the most important ones IMO.

Communication:
Listening ability*
Reacting in caring/inattentive manner
Positive + open body language*
Nodding in right places*
Maintaining eye contact*
Repeating what they said - so they feel heard (clarification)***
Trying different approaches (flexible) seeing what works
Simplifying complex concepts*
Using appropriate visual aids in presentations + breaking up info
Using easy to digest pieces of info/not dense and boring monologues
Using appropriate tone
Appearance is communicating who you are
Being aware of others emotions/feelings
Avoid + overcome barriers in communication (jargon, disabilities & taboo topics)

Here is an awesome link for understanding key interpersonal skills, what they are and what they actually mean: http://www.skillsyouneed.com/

Note: If anyone wants me to upload my HUGE document with all the skills broken down with my personal experiences, then just let me know and I might put it on here if people will find it helpful as a template.

Now we have broken communication skills down, we need to use this information to better our experience that we can talk about at interview.

Use the STARR technique for any question asking for examples e.g. "Give us an example...", "Describe a time when you displayed good leadership", "Tell us about how you handled a crisis", especially if you have to think off the cuff, but it’s good to be prepared.

Situation - What is the situation? What story are you about to explain?
Task - What was the obstacle to be overcome? What was the challenge?
Action - What did you do to overcome the obstacle? How did you complete the challenge?
Result - What was the outcome? Were you successful or not?
Reflection - What do you feel about the this? Would you do anything differently?

Once you’ve written out your story, see where you did use the broken down skills and put them into the story like here:

Before:
I was able to calm the lady down effectively with my use of good communication skills.
After:
I maintained good eye contact whilst maintaining relaxed and positive body language to put the lady at easy, I repeated back some things she told me so she felt I was listening to her.

Check out these links too:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_at_University
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112295
http://bma.org.uk/developing-your-career/medical-student/entry-to-medical-school/quick-questions/applying-to-medical-school
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12177084 (NHS reform)
http://www.skillsyouneed.com/
http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/interview-questions-medical-school-interviews.aspx

Hope this was helpful, I had been meaning to write it and have finally got around to it. I start my course in September and I can’t wait. But I thought before I am bogged down with Uni work, I will write down everything that I found helpful and pieces of advice I would have loved to have as an applicant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kane92
To those who think the hike into med school is beginning to wear them down, don't quit! Read my mini story and what tactics I used to maximise my chances of getting in. Hopefully it can help any of you out there who feel like you will never get in, or those who don't know where to start.

My story

Secondary school

I didn't do so great at secondary school.
A Levels: B Psychology, B Biology, C Maths & AS B Chemistry C English

I started sixth form with the idea that I wanted options to decide which career path to take, I mean, I was just 16, who really knows anything at 16??

I thought if I take the staples of education i.e. maths, english and biology I would be fine. I also took psychology because it looked awesome. I did Iove psychology and was on track for an A, but missed out in the final exam by 1 mark (something that keeps happening to me).

After a year of deep thought I decide I wanted to go into a career in medicine, I knew I needed to take AS chemistry at least…

So, after getting a C (half a mark off of a B) in English Lit I decided to drop AS English and pick up AS Chemistry - everyone told me people usually drop an AS level as A2 gets harder and it’s easier to concentrate, but I knew I needed some chemistry to stand a chance. It wasn’t an easy year and I ended up getting a B in Chemistry AS (originally a C, but I knew I did well and got it remarked).

Only a mad man would apply to med school with BBC!! they said, and they were right. I needed another plan. I looked into going Biomedical science, then after talking to some people at Newcastle Uni, they told me I could transfer into Medicine after my first year if I achieve high enough. “I have my chance!” I thought to myself.

Biomedical science

I applied to to study Biomedical science at Newcastle, with Plymouth as my back up Univsersity. I got rejected from Newcastle. I was gutted. If I can’t study Biomed at Newcastle, how can I ever get into Medicine?? I asked myself. Determination and tactical applying is the answer.

So, off to Plymouth to study Biomedical science I went. Three hard, fun, emotional and well spent years I graduated with a first class honours. There was times on that course that I didn’t think I would even get a 2:1.

*Note: Doing a dissertation was what saved me, I got 95% in it (which was actually the highest in the year - a combination of hard work, dedication, some sneaky tactics and luck). I have a little guide for my tips for excelling in your dissertation that I’ll be posting soon.

I want to highlight that in my third year, I applied to study medicine. I was unprepared, I had no idea what I was doing and I’m not surprised I got rejected without any interviews. I was also predicted a 2:1, which didn’t help.

Health care assistant

Now starting to feel old and with a degree under my belt I thought I could go and work in an NHS lab as a biomedical scientist and save up more money for medical school whilst applying. BUT, we all know the gold standard of work experience is NHS health care assistant work. I’ll repeat that again, THE GOLD STANDARD IS NHS HCA WORK.

UCAS application

My next hurdle was the personal statement. My biggest piece of advice for this is to really understand the importance of understanding the key skills. No really, break them down (I’ll show you how to use the key skills to your advantage below). I really think this is the essential method to understanding the interviewer/medical school and what they want.

Another area of importance is that of extracurricular activities. Were you on the school council? Did you join any societies? Do you have any hobbies? Remember that club you went to? Write them all down and start thinking of the skills and abilities each have given you. By the time you have finished your first draft, you need to think about getting it below that word count. Once I did this and redrafted a million times with the help of anyone who would help, I sent off my application.

If every sentence is of absolute necessity and you don’t know what would could possibly remove, then you’re doing it right. (Just to give you some insight into how bad my Biomed application was) I actually used the Carl Sagan quote Advances in medicine and agriculture have saved vastly more lives than have been lost in all the wars in history in my personal statement.

The UKCAT

I think the UKCAT is disgusting. The fact that every medical applicant must use the private company ‘Pearson’, that makes you pay a huge amount of money to take a ridiculous one-time test, that is only valid for one year. I think it’s unethical and I’m going to spend the rest of my medical career lobbying against it. But as you HAVE to sit it, I recommend either of these:

ISCMedical 600 UKCAT Practise Questions

Score Higher on the UKCAT: The expert guide from Kaplan

The first time I took the UKCAT, I got almost 700, but was predicted a 2:1, so didn’t get an interview. The second time I took it, when I already had a 1:1, I got 625. This meant I had to totally reevaluate my options! I made an excel spreadsheet with every medical school, whether A level chemistry was required even with a degree and if there was a UKCAT cut off (and what that cut off was).

I was left with only a small handful of medical schools, so I looked at the applicant:tongue:lace ratios, to see which Uni’s I stood the best chance with and chose strategically - I would study medicine in a warzone if it meant I could be a doctor!!

The interview

Months later, I get an interview from Plymouth and an interview from Keele (my dream University). My dreams were getting closer and closer. I read the ISC med school book (essential), I even read another book called “Do No Harm” because I read that some med schools ask “Tell us about a book you’ve read”, and I know this sounds bad, but I didn’t really read. Like ever. Unless it was a scientific paper, wikipedia or reddit.

I learned what the Uni’s were looking for and I made sure I showcased those traits through my own accomplishments and experiences (see below for more details on interview preparation).

But the old saying of “Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail” couldn’t be more true.

Some time after the interview, I get a phone call asking if I can email over scans of my certificates because the “med school” wanted to make me an offer… Which medical school is this? I asked, Keele she replied. I said to the lady on the phone, Did you say you were going to make me an offer? and she replied Yes”. I jumped with joy. That was the best news I had received in my whole life.

The week afterwards, I couldn’t stop smiling. I would be doing the most disgusting work in the ward, cleaning faeces from the floor with a patient shouting at me and I would be in bliss because I knew I was going to medical school. It’s an amazing feeling.

So, after picking the wrong A levels, getting poor results, doing a 3 year degree, being rejected from medicine, working as a HCA for 6 months and reapplying… I finally did it. And it was worth every second of hardship!

****************************************************************************************************************************

My guide/tips to help the process to be a bit easier for those who are a bit clueless:

How to get NHS or care work experience

I needed a job as a HCA in the NHS, so I got applying. Here’s how:

Use any work experience with care to say why you want the job and make sure you put that in your jobs/experience. They really like candidates who have done caring work before.

Apply to multiple HCA jobs - I went for them all around my area (within reason as I had to catch a bus there).

Really spend the time making a strong application, as you can save it on word and paste this into all of the job applications.

If you get an interview there, it will most likely be a couple of nurses and a ward clark/secretary, so don’t worry too much as they will expect you to be nervous (plus nurses are usually lovely).

Make sure you understand the role, have examples of times you’ve cared/shown teamwork and have a quick read about the ward/hospital you will be going to (see my guide below).

If you can’t get a full time HCA job, HCA work is brilliant if you have a gap year, but if you’re still at University, or at school and can’t have a fill time job, then no worries. Call up your local hospital’s human resources department and ask them how you can get health care assistant work as a flexi bank, or if they do NHS professional (apply here: http://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/Pages/Join-Us.aspx). This allows you to work as a HCA, but not directly for a ward with shifts. You actually get to choose your hours (provided you work at least 1 shift per 6 months), which is perfect for most people!

If you can’t get NHS work at all, then apply to an agency (http://www.hclnursing.com/candidates/mydetails.aspx) that the NHS will use when they can’t get their “flexi bank” workers to cover a shift.

If you can’t get ANY work in a hospital for whatever reason, you need to expand your look to nursing homes. Before I could get a HCA job when I was desperate for ANY care experience, I made a list of every nursing home/hospice/disabled children’s home within a 10 mile radius of my house and called every single one for volunteer work. One lady was so impressed with my enthusiasm and motivation that she offered me a job at a nursing home, where I could just leave for Uni and come back and work in the holidays.

And if you can’t get a job in a nursing home/hospice/disabled children's homes… Volunteer. And if you can’t convince someone to let you volunteer anywhere, then maybe rethink medicine lol.

How to prepare for interviews (SUPER QUICK TIPS)

This can be broken down into 6 important steps:

1. Know what the medical school wants

Look on their page for what their “entry requirements” are for the type of applicant. If you can’t find this (most medical schools have this), then use what’s laid out in “Tomorrows doctors”.
Use the list of what they’re looking for to ensure you have an example of why you meet every criteria.

2. Understand the role of a doctor fully (CAMP)
You must know what a doctor does on an average day, what responsibilities they have, what’s the difference between a hospital doctor and a GP, how long it takes to become a consultant etc. The medicalcareers.nhs.uk and BMA is very helpful with these sorts of things. If in doubt, use CAMP:
Clinical - Ward rounds, prescribe medicines, consult with hospital staff, talk to patients, audits
Academic - Teaching other doctors. Eg Consultants teach FY2’s, FY2’s teach med students
Management - Drs have to manage other doctors, their staff and team. So they’re managers.
Personal - They have a role in society, the community and they have a LIFE!!

3. Research the course structure/content
This is self explanatory. Go to the med school website/prospectus and learn whether it’s PBL, integrated, system based, lecture based whatever. You need to know it and you need to understand the pros and cons.

4. Understand the NHS and health news
TSR has an excellent page on current medical issues. I recommend http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health/

5. Know how to answer an ethical question
Firstly, you must understand the four ethical principles, and some of the laws around consent (mental capacity) and confidentiality.

Ethical principles:

Beneficence - do what's in the patients best interest

Non-maleficence - do not harm the patient

Respect for Autonomy - the patient has the right to make decisions about his own body

Justice (equity) - Treatment should be the same for everyone

Here is a link to help get a good grip on medical ethics:
www.bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/medical-students-ethics-tool-kit

Depending on the question, I used two strategies for the two types of ethical question.

First off, define the question, highlight which ethical principles are relevant, bring in any background knowledge you have and I like to say "Well, this is a complex issue because..." before going into it, as it shows you don't take the decision lightly.

Then, this is where we have a difference:

1. If the question is about a patient/dilemma remember address ALL the issues/implications of the decision around it. Use this framework to help:

I'm using a super simple example of "A man is a smoker, discuss the issues?"
- Physical - eg lung, CVD, cancer risk, addiction in brain
- Psychological - addiction, stress, is there emotional reason he smokes?
- Social issues - family, his friends view of it, how people view smokers
- Financial/Economical - the cost of smoking, effecting his job

But ALWAYS remember that your loyalty is with the patient and the patient is ALWYS at the centre of your decision.

2. If the question is just asking about an ethical hot topic, then think about ALL the issues surrounding it, going over the pros and the cons on the subject, showing you've thought laterally (indirectly) as well. I would recommend making a decision at the end if they have asked you too instead of sitting on the fence, unless they've said "Discuss the issues surrounding X".

As long as you keep an open mind completely, weight up the pros and cons fully and ALWAYS put the patient at the centre of your concern, then there is no way they can criticise you.

6. Know your skills & experiences (STARR) (most time should be spent here IMO)

For my interview I had a document for every skill e.g. empathy, teamwork, leadership etc, which broke it down like I did below with communication and also had one or two experiences/stories that happened to me where I demonstrated that skill. I recommend you have one yourself, like a bank of experiences you can break down.

When you’re writing about an experience you’ve had so you can showcase a skill, lets use communication skills as an example, you need to first know what communication skills are:

How to break down the “key skills”

For example, communication is a skill you can say you have developed (never say “gained”, say “developed” or “enhanced”) in one of your jobs/roles. But what does that even mean? What are communication skills? Let’s break it down. I’ve used * asterisks for the most important ones IMO.

Communication:
Listening ability*
Reacting in caring/inattentive manner
Positive + open body language*
Nodding in right places*
Maintaining eye contact*
Repeating what they said - so they feel heard (clarification)***
Trying different approaches (flexible) seeing what works
Simplifying complex concepts*
Using appropriate visual aids in presentations + breaking up info
Using easy to digest pieces of info/not dense and boring monologues
Using appropriate tone
Appearance is communicating who you are
Being aware of others emotions/feelings
Avoid + overcome barriers in communication (jargon, disabilities & taboo topics)

Here is an awesome link for understanding key interpersonal skills, what they are and what they actually mean: http://www.skillsyouneed.com/

Note: If anyone wants me to upload my HUGE document with all the skills broken down with my personal experiences, then just let me know and I might put it on here if people will find it helpful as a template.

Now we have broken communication skills down, we need to use this information to better our experience that we can talk about at interview.

Use the STARR technique for any question asking for examples e.g. "Give us an example...", "Describe a time when you displayed good leadership", "Tell us about how you handled a crisis", especially if you have to think off the cuff, but it’s good to be prepared.

Situation - What is the situation? What story are you about to explain?
Task - What was the obstacle to be overcome? What was the challenge?
Action - What did you do to overcome the obstacle? How did you complete the challenge?
Result - What was the outcome? Were you successful or not?
Reflection - What do you feel about the this? Would you do anything differently?

Once you’ve written out your story, see where you did use the broken down skills and put them into the story like here:

Before:
I was able to calm the lady down effectively with my use of good communication skills.
After:
I maintained good eye contact whilst maintaining relaxed and positive body language to put the lady at easy, I repeated back some things she told me so she felt I was listening to her.

Check out these links too:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_at_University
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112295
http://bma.org.uk/developing-your-career/medical-student/entry-to-medical-school/quick-questions/applying-to-medical-school
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12177084 (NHS reform)
http://www.skillsyouneed.com/
http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/interview-questions-medical-school-interviews.aspx

Hope this was helpful, I had been meaning to write it and have finally got around to it. I start my course in September and I can’t wait. But I thought before I am bogged down with Uni work, I will write down everything that I found helpful and pieces of advice I would have loved to have as an applicant.

Thanks kane! Great advice.
Reply 2
Original post by cannotdecide
Thanks kane! Great advice.

You didn't need to quote the whole post haha, but thank you :biggrin:.

I know exactly what it's like to be on the other side of the fence for years, so I wanted to give something back as this forum and others online have helped me a great deal.
Reply 3
Wow, thanks for sharing your story and advice and congratulations for getting in! It was a very inspirational read.

If you could upload the document with the key skills broken down, it would be much appreciated.

+rep
Reply 4
Original post by F4N
Wow, thanks for sharing your story and advice and congratulations for getting in! It was a very inspirational read.

If you could upload the document with the key skills broken down, it would be much appreciated.

+rep

Hello and thanks for the feedback, I'm really happy you enjoyed it.

And yes of course, I've attached it.

Please keep in mind that when I made this it was never meant to be seen by anyone except me, so some things might be worded strange so that I remember things for me.
Reply 5
This is a condensed version of what you learn at med school about communication and reflection.

TBH i think it is unfair for admissions to use criteria that would be taught at med school anyway... Such is life i guess.

In your interviews please be human and not a robot with drilled and rehearsed answers too! It's a fine balance.
How are you funding your studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by DrID
This is a condensed version of what you learn at med school about communication and reflection.

TBH i think it is unfair for admissions to use criteria that would be taught at med school anyway... Such is life i guess.

In your interviews please be human and not a robot with drilled and rehearsed answers too! It's a fine balance.

Well I must be doing something right if this is similar to what's being taught, but I really found this method of preparation to be very effective for me!

I want to stress that I am not trying to get people to not be who they really are... I'm just trying to help people to be their BEST self on the day.

Some people find it easy to express how an experience made them feel on the spot, but other people may be the types of people that like to quietly process information first.

In any case, I completely agree and I don't think rehearsed answers are any good. Although, thinking about a story that actually happened to you and thinking about the skills around that are obviously advantageous and not what I consider rehearsed IMO.
Reply 8
Original post by kane92
Well I must be doing something right if this is similar to what's being taught, but I really found this method of preparation to be very effective for me!

I want to stress that I am not trying to get people to not be who they really are... I'm just trying to help people to be their BEST self on the day.

Some people find it easy to express how an experience made them feel on the spot, but other people may be the types of people that like to quietly process information first.

In any case, I completely agree and I don't think rehearsed answers are any good. Although, thinking about a story that actually happened to you and thinking about the skills around that are obviously advantageous and not what I consider rehearsed IMO.

Absolutely agree.

I did essentially no prep for my interviews, i honestly didn't know how. The stuff you have here is exactly what GP SpRs have to do. The reflection guide you have is almost a cut and paste from the UK Foundation Program reflection form!

If only i'd seen this post years ago when i had applied! :biggrin:
Reply 9
How do you manage to get the qualifications to become a HCA? Are employers ready to train someone while being employed (I was thinking of doing this during my gap year)
Reply 10
Original post by Zahid~
How do you manage to get the qualifications to become a HCA? Are employers ready to train someone while being employed (I was thinking of doing this during my gap year)

What qualifications do you need to be a HCA? I work with HCAs that don't even have any GCSE, but just experience.

Yes, employers are willing to train someone, but they prefer if you have had some care work experience. I was trained with the NHS how to take vital signs, life support (CPR etc), take ECGs, blood glucose monitoring and many more.

When I applied for my first care job in a nursing home, after a week or so they made me watch a couple videos about manual handling and health and safety, then I was good to go.
Reply 11
Original post by DrID
Absolutely agree.

I did essentially no prep for my interviews, i honestly didn't know how. The stuff you have here is exactly what GP SpRs have to do. The reflection guide you have is almost a cut and paste from the UK Foundation Program reflection form!

If only i'd seen this post years ago when i had applied! :biggrin:

Haha are you joking? Most of this stuff I either figured out myself, or was advised from books/online articles. Glad to hear it :biggrin:
rep for effort
I love reading stuff like this. I feel as though I have NO UK med school options though.
I didn't do great at school. C grades and only got a D in my English language so had to resit that.
ALevels also didn't do great, had no ambitions so got C grades in Law, Sociology and Health and Social Care
I now have a degree (due 2016, dissertation results pending) in Social Work but only at a 2.2 (had a rough time personally and grades suffered).

I've got a lot of experience, worked in a mental health hospital for a year, qualified phlebotomist, worked with disabled children for 3 years, nursing home for 4 etc.

However. NO med school will touch me with no science academically and rubbish grades. Even if I did my ALevels again, I believe all universities will look at my 2.2 and shun me?

I also don't qualify for foundation courses only Lambeth and Manchester access courses but even with that, I'm aware they'd look at my degree and shun me again!

Any input would be great! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by kwalsfaa
I love reading stuff like this. I feel as though I have NO UK med school options though.
I didn't do great at school. C grades and only got a D in my English language so had to resit that.
ALevels also didn't do great, had no ambitions so got C grades in Law, Sociology and Health and Social Care
I now have a degree (due 2016, dissertation results pending) in Social Work but only at a 2.2 (had a rough time personally and grades suffered).

I've got a lot of experience, worked in a mental health hospital for a year, qualified phlebotomist, worked with disabled children for 3 years, nursing home for 4 etc.

However. NO med school will touch me with no science academically and rubbish grades. Even if I did my ALevels again, I believe all universities will look at my 2.2 and shun me?

I also don't qualify for foundation courses only Lambeth and Manchester access courses but even with that, I'm aware they'd look at my degree and shun me again!

Any input would be great! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've read that some people do access to medicine courses. Maybe have a look at that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did have a look but because I have a degree I need a good few years gap between them otherwise they still take into account my degree!

Infuriating!
Reply 16
Thank you for sharing this. :-)

Currently, i'm in the same boat - GCSE's that don't cut it, Access (no A-levels) and I have a First Class in Nursing (mental health).

Currently, revising for the UKcat! :-/

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest