The Student Room Group

University Advice

Hi Everyone, i have applied to Cardiff, Chester, Essex, East Anglia and Westminster to study Business Management and Marketing. I already got 4 out 5 offer still waiting for Essex.

I am currently on the confusion stage on which iniversity if the best to study. I have decided to drop both cardiff and chester. So, if i got my offer/rejection from essex those are my top 3 choices. I am so confused and i have looked each uni online and went to open days because of the student life and campus. :confused::confused::confused:

My sister is currently studying at westminster and she said that it is a good environment especially for business students because IT IS IN LONDON. Also, she said i can further study my mandarin so i can be more fluent to it because they offer that extra course to all their student which frankly i think essex and east anglia do not offer. :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Also, all of them have the scholarship that i am eligible for academic excellence. I am very confident with my grade its just that i do not know if those 3 gives me scholarship and grant separately or all together.

What uni do you think is best and why to study business management and marketing. i know that i will make the decision, but i need to ask other people's opinion about East Anglia, Essex and Westminster.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rolierol
Hi Everyone, i have applied to Cardiff, Chester, Essex, East Anglia and Westminster to study Business Management and Marketing. I already got 4 out 5 offer still waiting for Essex.

I am currently on the confusion stage on which iniversity if the best to study. I have decided to drop both cardiff and chester. So, if i got my offer/rejection from essex those are my top 3 choices. I am so confused and i have looked each uni online and went to open days because of the student life and campus. :confused::confused::confused:

My sister is currently studying at westminster and she said that it is a good environment especially for business students because IT IS IN LONDON. Also, she said i can further study my mandarin so i can be more fluent to it because they offer that extra course to all their student which frankly i think essex and east anglia do not offer. :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Also, all of them have the scholarship that i am eligible for academic excellence. I am very confident with my grade its just that i do not know if those 3 gives me scholarship and grant separately or all together.

What uni do you think is best and why to study business management and marketing. i know that i will make the decision, but i need to ask other people's opinion about East Anglia, Essex and Westminster.

I'm not an expert on Business management but I know UEA looks really great (It's one of the places I'm considering going to) student life there looks fantastic, I also have a friend who's going to firm UEA for business economics next year even though he has offers from Bath who are ranked second for business.

Hi,

Cant help on a choice of uni im afraid but can assure you wherever you end up - you'll love it. I have friends at Coventry, and sorry to anyone that lives there, its a bit of a dump - yet they love it there. Think that just reinforces the point if you are surrounded by like-minded students and doing a course that interests you - it doesnt matter where you are.
(edited 9 years ago)

personally I would recommend you reconsider your decision to drop Cardiff. there are 2 unis in Cardiff Cardiff uni and Cardiff met. if you do hold an offer for Cardiff and not Cardiff net please reconsider as it is a highly prestigious uni. of the 5 mentioned east Anglia and Cardiff are highest ranked then Essex then the other 2. the big difference between Essex and east Anglia and Cardiff is the city. Cardiff has everything a large city would. a vibrant shopping centre and is one of the best nightlife cities in the uk. the uni itself is very close to the centre. it boils down to what you want. if you want a quiet environment east Anglia. if you want more of a city environment then go to Cardiff. I think either would be a better choice than Westminster unless you particularly wish to study I london
Reply 4
Thank you for the advice..yes i have dropped cardiff.. i am juat undecided between uae and westminster.. the thing that make me want to study in westminster is their additional language course which i feel that i want to do.. i am just unsure if uae is offering that as well..
Thank you for the advice..yes i have dropped cardiff.. i am juat undecided between uae and westminster.. the thing that make me want to study in westminster is their additional language course which i feel that i want to do.. i am just unsure if uae is offering that as well..

to be honest east Anglia has a far higher reputation than Westminster. in most university tables it is top 20 in the uk and would be the better option. however you need to decide where you will settle best. in the middle of London or a smaller city. have you thought of asking east Anglia about mandarin. part of the reason for suggesting you look again at Cardiff is firstly uni reputation top 30 uni top 10 for research and also being a large city it will be very diverse and is acknowledged for being one of the leading cities in the uk
UEA does offer extra language modules, including Chinese https://www.uea.ac.uk/lcs/learning-a-new-language

It's actually really common for unis to have this sort of programme, but they're often not well advertised, so you have to do your research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Essex also allow you to learn a language for free

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I had a offer for business management for Westminster but rejected it to the really bad reviews I read about it and the schools are all spread out which I don't like. I would reconsider dropping Cardiff, it is the capital of Wales so must have a good night life and it is a Russell group so it has a better reputation. East Anglia is also very high up on the league tables aswell. I would recommend you chose Cardiff and east anglia or if you are really against Cardiff then East anglia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank for both of your comments
Reply 10
You did not like westminster?! I went there and see some bad points of tbe uni as well.. that is why i have been thinking. I know cardiff is a good uni overall, but i have been thinking of going to UEA cuz its like cardiff but in a smaller scale.. thank you..

Original post by r-t
I had a offer for business management for Westminster but rejected it to the really bad reviews I read about it and the schools are all spread out which I don't like. I would reconsider dropping Cardiff, it is the capital of Wales so must have a good night life and it is a Russell group so it has a better reputation. East Anglia is also very high up on the league tables aswell. I would recommend you chose Cardiff and east anglia or if you are really against Cardiff then East anglia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
You did not like westminster?! I went there and see some bad points of tbe uni as well.. that is why i have been thinking. I know cardiff is a good uni overall, but i have been thinking of going to UEA cuz its like cardiff but in a smaller scale.. thank you..

No I just found it too big and international in my opinion. Yeh UEA is high up on the league table. I suggest putting UEA as your firm choice and Cardiff or Essex as your insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Definitely.. you have a point there.. i am thinking of essex to be my insurance because i feel that cardiff is not for me i do not why but just a hunch.

Original post by r-t
No I just found it too big and international in my opinion. Yeh UEA is high up on the league table. I suggest putting UEA as your firm choice and Cardiff or Essex as your insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Definitely.. you have a point there.. i am thinking of essex to be my insurance because i feel that cardiff is not for me i do not why but just a hunch.

Yeh UEA and Essex sound like good choices. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Thank you very much!!! this has helped me a lot with my decision!

Original post by r-t
Yeh UEA and Essex sound like good choices. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you mind me asking whether you have visited Cardiff and what about cardiif you don't like as most people really love it
Reply 16
yes i have visited cardiff, i love cardiff always go there during summer. i like the environment around it. IDK just for me i dont i can focus studying in there with lots of going round the city.. sorry :'(

Original post by swanseajack1
do you mind me asking whether you have visited Cardiff and what about cardiif you don't like as most people really love it
yes i have visited cardiff, i love cardiff always go there during summer. i like the environment around it. IDK just for me i dont i can focus studying in there with lots of going round the city.. sorry :'(

fair enough it has everything going on there a smaller version of London which also suggests you are better not going to Westminster as there is even more going on
Reply 18
yes totally.. visited there.. double the amount people in cardiff.. ~~ i just feel that i cant focus studying in an environment where there is a lot goingg around..

Original post by swanseajack1
fair enough it has everything going on there a smaller version of London which also suggests you are better not going to Westminster as there is even more going on
yes totally.. visited there.. double the amount people in cardiff.. ~~ i just feel that i cant focus studying in an environment where there is a lot goingg around..

Surely this rules out Westminster then too?

Either way, Cardiff is your best bet if you want to excel in your career.

Also scholarships are incredibly difficult to get so I wouldn't bank on being awarded one. Also most universities will have a language centre where you could pick up mandarin as an evening class, and they are also likely to have language societies you can get involved with

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending