happyhero
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey
I'm gonna take HL Physics, Chem and Maths, can anyone tell me if it is extremely difficult? What is hard about HL physics??

My second option is HL Bio, Chem and Maths...

which one is easier to cope with?
Neverme
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both are difficult choices. Chemistry and Maths at HL are considered two of the most difficult IB courses. I take Chem HL, and it is definitely my most difficult subject. Maths at SL is difficult enough.
Having said that, if you are a good student either option should be manageable, but be prepared to work.
HL Bio is A LOT of memorisation -- not a lot of understanding or application.
HL Physics, as far as I know, is more of a mix of memorisation, understanding and application.
Bio is probably considered easier by most, but I know someone who hated bio, switched to physics, and found it much easier. At the end of the day it's a personal choice -- you need to ask yourself what you're best at.

Also, consider what you'd find more interesting. You need to live with this subject for two years, choosing subjects which interest you will really help you maintain motivation.

Good luck with whichever you choose
happyhero
Rep:
?
OMG thnx so much... <3
im facing a problem where I love all the sciences very much but I don't want to sacrifice one of the sciences away. I love chem, phys and bio but probably more of chem than anything else. omg i love everything its such a hard decision but I have to say im not too logical...

anyways what r u planning to do in uni? with hl chem???
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A lot of people in my class (myself included) found HL physics by far the hardest class in the whole program. We had an incompetent teacher but even so, the material was quite a bit above what our Physics 1 class had taught us the year before. If you've had a solid foundation at your school with it, then I think you'll be able to manage well if you just study it a lot. Looking back now the concepts are super easy but back then a lot of them just flew over my head. I still ended up with a 5 in it and that was with damn near no work at all so you definitely have a chance if you just study well!

HL chem one of the easier ones imo, but I graduated in 2012 so they might've changed it since then. I did AP chem in 10th grade so that may also be why I found it good. As I remember it, it was a lot of memorization, a tiny bit of simple math and just grouping things together, like what types of reactions happen in what conditions, what compounds cause them, what compounds are more likely to do 'x', etc. If you're really into chemistry, which it seems you are, I'd go for that I did SL math but my friends doing it at HL had it rough, they had massive IAs to learn in addition to just a lot of extra topics to cover.

I only did SL math but my friends that did HL math hated it, you do quite a few IAs in math (still don't know how the hell essays on math work) and they teach you a whole lot of subjects. SL is a total walk in the park but if you're mathematically inclined, again don't see why you can't do it. Again, looking back now it's actually pretty easy, but you really need to focus on what's going on and stuff.

Really depends on what you want to study, I knew I wanted to do engineering so bio was useless to me. However, if you don't need either to get into the course you wanna do, I'd drop physics for bio simply because it's less stressful, and those little differences help A TON over the next two years. Hope this helped kinda!
happyhero
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexschmalex)
A lot of people in my class (myself included) found HL physics by far the hardest class in the whole program. We had an incompetent teacher but even so, the material was quite a bit above what our Physics 1 class had taught us the year before. If you've had a solid foundation at your school with it, then I think you'll be able to manage well if you just study it a lot. Looking back now the concepts are super easy but back then a lot of them just flew over my head. I still ended up with a 5 in it and that was with damn near no work at all so you definitely have a chance if you just study well!

HL chem one of the easier ones imo, but I graduated in 2012 so they might've changed it since then. I did AP chem in 10th grade so that may also be why I found it good. As I remember it, it was a lot of memorization, a tiny bit of simple math and just grouping things together, like what types of reactions happen in what conditions, what compounds cause them, what compounds are more likely to do 'x', etc. If you're really into chemistry, which it seems you are, I'd go for that I did SL math but my friends doing it at HL had it rough, they had massive IAs to learn in addition to just a lot of extra topics to cover.

I only did SL math but my friends that did HL math hated it, you do quite a few IAs in math (still don't know how the hell essays on math work) and they teach you a whole lot of subjects. SL is a total walk in the park but if you're mathematically inclined, again don't see why you can't do it. Again, looking back now it's actually pretty easy, but you really need to focus on what's going on and stuff.

Really depends on what you want to study, I knew I wanted to do engineering so bio was useless to me. However, if you don't need either to get into the course you wanna do, I'd drop physics for bio simply because it's less stressful, and those little differences help A TON over the next two years. Hope this helped kinda!

yess that helped A LOT omfg afkdlsjafkljds thx love ya

I have decided to do bio, maths and chem.

Just wanna ask, so you got a 5 in physics HL and u didn't do maths HL how did you end up doing engineering? which uni are u studying in?
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by happyhero)
yess that helped A LOT omfg afkdlsjafkljds thx love ya

I have decided to do bio, maths and chem.

Just wanna ask, so you got a 5 in physics HL and u didn't do maths HL how did you end up doing engineering? which uni are u studying in?
Some unis don't really care about it HL/SL, I even got a personal email from the head of department at Hull saying I could go straight into the course! I really wanted to go to Sheffield tho because they have a top course but I had to do a foundation year there...was really a waste because I knew like 80% of the stuff already and then we went over everything in 1st year again :banghead: Ultimately no regrets tho
Kisuke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took HL Physics and Chemistry. Basically a lot of studying and practice papers, but turned out fine at the end of it. Unless things have changed since I took IB, the grade boundaries for HL physics are significantly lower than for chemistry. uhhh HL math is a pain though.
happyhero
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kisuke)
I took HL Physics and Chemistry. Basically a lot of studying and practice papers, but turned out fine at the end of it. Unless things have changed since I took IB, the grade boundaries for HL physics are significantly lower than for chemistry. uhhh HL math is a pain though.
I'm aiming for like a 6,6 in physics and chem as it is required for imperial. So... you said fine as in.. what score did u get in the end? thnx <3
Kisuke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm aiming for like a 6,6 in physics and chem as it is required for imperial. So... you said fine as in.. what score did u get in the end? thnx <3
7s for both. Are you thinking of doing engineering?
happyhero
Rep:
?
materials science engineering probs, which uni did u get into?
Kisuke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
materials science engineering probs, which uni did u get into?
I'm not from the UK actually, but I haven't applied to any at the moment.
chiligrinder95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey
I'm gonna take HL Physics, Chem and Maths, can anyone tell me if it is extremely difficult? What is hard about HL physics??

Any idea what you want to do? I'd stick with Physics. Fields of engineering are the future. Bio (at IB level) can be caught up on easier and is more memorisation than understanding. Physics and Maths are too subjects I wish I'd stuck with. Big companies like Tesla, Space X and Google all are interested in Electrical and computer engineers and people in physics/maths based fields, they are the purer and more widely applicable sciences (unless you specifically want to do materials or biomedical sciences.)

At the end of the day though, go with what you know you prefer doing.
sena98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

which programme were you involved before ib? you got 7 from both chem and physics it is amazing!
choppedzombie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey

Make sure these subjects are the ones you will study in undergrad.Otherwise you will put in useless effort in bringing a good score in them affecting your overall predicted score.They are very demanding but manageable if you have good foundations of each of the subjects.
Tip:choose easy SL subjects (business management,stay away from economics)
curiousstudent8
Rep:
?
Report 1 minute ago
(Original post by choppedzombie)
Make sure these subjects are the ones you will study in undergrad.Otherwise you will put in useless effort in bringing a good score in them affecting your overall predicted score.They are very demanding but manageable if you have good foundations of each of the subjects.
Tip:choose easy SL subjects (business management,stay away from economics)
i have heard economics is helpful for engineering, is that true? or do we just need the required subjects, phy chem and math?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads