The Student Room Group

Can I be fired from working little overtime?

I work at a tesco express and most weeks I get asked to to do 2-3 days of overtime and sometimes some longer hours overtime on my already working days( I usually say yes to this)
But during the week when they ask me about overtime on new whole days I usually say no. So My question is will I be fired for saying no over and over again to the majority of overtime? I've been there for over 4 months now, and have signed the contract and everything. Thanks!
Original post by Guy96
I work at a tesco express and most weeks I get asked to to do 2-3 days of overtime and sometimes some longer hours overtime on my already working days( I usually say yes to this)
But during the week when they ask me about overtime on new whole days I usually say no. So My question is will I be fired for saying no over and over again to the majority of overtime? I've been there for over 4 months now, and have signed the contract and everything. Thanks!

They cant fire you for not doing overtime.
Id double check your contract to make sure it doesnt say anything in there about over time, but normally, they dont mention anything about it.
If you cant do the overtime, then you cant do the overtime. Simple. Yes, its nice to help out and do a bit of overtime when you can, but they wont expect you to be able to do it all the time. You mention about staying longer and doing overtime on the days you are already in, so at least you are doing some.
How come you are worried about it? Have they ever said anything to you?
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
They cant fire you for not doing overtime.
Id double check your contract to make sure it doesnt say anything in there about over time, but normally, they dont mention anything about it.
If you cant do the overtime, then you cant do the overtime. Simple. Yes, its nice to help out and do a bit of overtime when you can, but they wont expect you to be able to do it all the time. You mention about staying longer and doing overtime on the days you are already in, so at least you are doing some.
How come you are worried about it? Have they ever said anything to you?

I guess it could just be in my head. But honestly I just feel guilty because they ask me 3+ times a week and I usually say no( sometimes because I can't be bothered etc.) Last Saturday I had family round (who live far away) and i wanted to stay at home to stay with them as I see them maybe once a year. Anyway they called me up at 10 am( I let it go to voicemail), but I didn't call back till 1 pm hoping they might've found someone by then(I knew what they were calling for. When I phoned up the team leader guy said "tell me you've got good news for me" and I began to say that I couldn't do it and why(do I even have to tell them why? I feel like I need to anyway) but he then began talking to me for 5 minutes about how he needed me and I was the last person to ask, the "lynch pin" or there would only be 2 people on shift when 3 is needed. (Tried to make me feel guilty and it worked. Anyway that's why I was asking.

Sorry for the paragraph and the most likely awful structure and grammar but I wrote it quickly in one go! Thanks anyway!
P.s how do I check my contract? Lol
Original post by Guy96
I guess it could just be in my head. But honestly I just feel guilty because they ask me 3+ times a week and I usually say no( sometimes because I can't be bothered etc.) Last Saturday I had family round (who live far away) and i wanted to stay at home to stay with them as I see them maybe once a year. Anyway they called me up at 10 am( I let it go to voicemail), but I didn't call back till 1 pm hoping they might've found someone by then(I knew what they were calling for. When I phoned up the team leader guy said "tell me you've got good news for me" and I began to say that I couldn't do it and why(do I even have to tell them why? I feel like I need to anyway) but he then began talking to me for 5 minutes about how he needed me and I was the last person to ask, the "lynch pin" or there would only be 2 people on shift when 3 is needed. (Tried to make me feel guilty and it worked. Anyway that's why I was asking.

Sorry for the paragraph and the most likely awful structure and grammar but I wrote it quickly in one go! Thanks anyway!

You are not obliged to do overtime unless there is some clause in your contract which I highly doubt. Just tell them straight what you can do and don't let them blackmail you into doing what you can't manage. It is the managers responsibilty to sort out staffing even if it means recruiting new people and not yours. So don't feel guilty you are entitled to a life outside work. This how they get away with so little staff. Customers already are forced to use the horrible self service machines and no staff to help when required. They simply should recruit to meet demand and not pay fat cats so much money. Be strong.
Original post by Guy96

When you signed your contract they should have given you a copy. So you can check that. If you havent got a copy of it, then you can ask them for a copy- you are entitled to do that.
But i wouldnt worry about it. Most contracts dont have anything in there to do with overtime. And you shouldnt feel under pressure to do what you cant manage. You already do overtime on the days you are already in, so at least you are doing some.Its nice to help out when you can and all that, but you cant be punished for not doing overtime.
You don't have to do overtime but some managers see it as "do us a favour and we'll do you a favour". I have seen this many times in my supermarket when people want their break at a certain time or want holidays at short notice. They can't fire you though!
you say you cant be bothered but do the odd extra day every few weeks because you never know when YOU might need the overtime and thats when they have you, because they most likely wont give it to you out of spite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending