The Student Room Group

graduates how are you funding 5 year course

As the title says..

Happy I have offer..but time is running out to raise cash. The only help ill get is some maintenance loan which barely covers the cost of living...

How are you all funding the course??
Reply 1
Original post by drifter_skylight
As the title says..

Happy I have offer..but time is running out to raise cash. The only help ill get is some maintenance loan which barely covers the cost of living...

I am in the same situation!! I have been looking into career development loans although the max they will lend is £10,000. So I still have £26,000 to find!
I funded mine with part time work and a career development loan back when tuition fees were 3k a year. At the price they are now i don't know that it's possible without a very rich family i'm afraid.
Reply 3
I've spent the past 2 years working in Australia to save enough for tuition fees :smile: just need to get an offer now :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by drifter_skylight
As the title says..

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/38414.aspx#38414
Reply 5
Yes sponsorship from the Army of RAF is an option. Although I think you need to be in the last 2-3
years of med school before you apply.
Reply 6
Original post by grad835
[Yes sponsorship from the Army of RAF is an option. Although I think you need to be in the last 2-3
years of med school before you apply].

I haven't looked into it much so don't know all the details, just thought it might be an option worth looking into
Am also worrying about this.....have 2 offers for 5yr courses which is great but as a mature student with a mortgage, husband & child I'm really not sure how this is going to work....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand why so many people were applying for 5 year courses without figuring out how they were going to fund it first? Seems like a waste of an application, might as well have tried for GEP.
Original post by hoonosewot
I don't understand why so many people were applying for 5 year courses without figuring out how they were going to fund it first? Seems like a waste of an application, might as well have tried for GEP.

I think the reason people apply for the 5 year courses is because they're considerably less competitive than GEM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
[I don't understand why so many people were applying for 5 year courses without figuring out how they were going to fund it first? Seems like a waste of an application, might as well have tried for GEP.]

I think because GEP has far fewer places and is more competitive, especially with the fact that there is talk of GEP courses possibly being stopped in the future. Leicester and St Georges have cut their intake for GEP this year and it is the last year that Leicester will be taking students onto GEP course. By applying to both GEP and the 5 year course chances are increased. Who knows where that offer will come from and I'm sure those that want it enough will find different ways of funding it - so don't think its a waste of an application, I guess people are just trying to find out how others are funding it.
Original post by JenniB22
I think the reason people apply for the 5 year courses is because they're considerably less competitive than GEM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not always. Med schools often have a certain number of places set aside for graduate on the 5 year courses so you could still be competing for a very small number of places.
Original post by JenniB22

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by OU#50
[I don't understand why so many people were applying for 5 year courses without figuring out how they were going to fund it first? Seems like a waste of an application, might as well have tried for GEP.]

I think because GEP has far fewer places and is more competitive, especially with the fact that there is talk of GEP courses possibly being stopped in the future. Leicester and St Georges have cut their intake for GEP this year and it is the last year that Leicester will be taking students onto GEP course. By applying to both GEP and the 5 year course chances are increased. Who knows where that offer will come from and I'm sure those that want it enough will find different ways of funding it - so don't think its a waste of an application, I guess people are just trying to find out how others are funding it.

Pointing out that the courses are less competitive doesn't answer the question of why you would apply if you can't afford it though. Better to apply for 4 competitive courses you can afford to go to than 4 less competitive ones you can't envisage any way to pay for. We're talking about £36,000 here.

I applied to a 5 year way back when and you can be damn sure i costed it out and figured out how i would feasibly afford it first.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by hoonosewot
Pointing out that the courses are less competitive doesn't answer the question of why you would apply if you can't afford it though. Better to apply for 4 competitive courses you can afford to go to than 4 less competitive ones you can't envisage any way to pay for. We're talking about £36,000 here.

I applied to a 5 year way back when and you can be damn sure i costed it out and figured out how i would feasibly afford it first.

Well good for you, would you like a medal?

I personally am a firm believer in 'where there is a will, there is a way' and have already started to formulate a plan as to how I am going to fund my studies.

This thread should be a place for people to offer genuine advice and support for one another. Comments like yours are completely unhelpful.
Reply 14
Original post by grad835
Well good for you, would you like a medal?

I personally am a firm believer in 'where there is a will, there is a way' and have already started to formulate a plan as to how I am going to fund my studies.

This thread should be a place for people to offer genuine advice and support for one another. Comments like yours are completely unhelpful.

I came across this website - don't know if its useful to anyone or not but as well as discussing armed forces bursaries (which seem to be for the final 3 years of study) there are also links to other suggestions such as charitable trusts.

http://www.money4medstudents.org/armed-forces-bursaries
Reply 15
Original post by OU#50
I came across this website - don't know if its useful to anyone or not but as well as discussing armed forces bursaries (which seem to be for the final 3 years of study) there are also links to other suggestions such as charitable trusts.

http://www.money4medstudents.org/armed-forces-bursaries

That is a really good website, thank you.

For anyone who is interested, HSBC seem to offer the largest interest free overdrafts to students (up to £3000) - it's not much but every little helps!
In addition to the suggestions above, look into whether the med schools offer bursaries or hardship funds; at some universities these can be for quite significant amounts. I am managing to pay my way by a combination of full time work during holidays, a bursary and a discretionary fund award, along with the maintenance loan.

If you work during holidays you may also be able to claim working tax credits during those times if you meet the minimum number of hours a week - I mention this because a lot of people seem to be unaware that they could qualify and it's not peanuts, I get over £500 in tax credits during a summer of full time work.
While I can't speak for medicine, my own course has given me a lot of saving tips. Stay as close to home as possible, as in parents, partners, whatever. If you can't stay at home, stay as close to uni as possible to reduce commute costs. Don't buy any books, libraries have them. Shop bulk at cheap supermarkets. A lot of uni's have hardship funds, as suggested above, but as far as I know King's is about to get rid of theirs. If possible get a HCA job. They are very flexible, pretty decent money and if you're in London then you'll have lot's of shifts available. My mum was not able to give me any money as she's retired and I have too much pride to ask her. But my sisters and friends were ridiculously kind during birthdays and Eid/Xmas etc. If I think of more things I'll write them
I have an offer from King's for their 5 year course. I applied for GEM, but they gave me an alternative offer. I'm hoping to get into grad this year, but if not, King's have said I can defer for a year. I'd use that year to earn money, I have some savings and I'd get a job whilst studying.

Some places may be more willing to let you defer than others, but it was really simple with King's, otherwise there's no way I'd manage...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending