Cookies46234623
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Okay, so I'm taking Double BTEC business studies and A level Theatre Studies. I'm predicted Distinction* Distinction* A by the end of the A levels. I was wondering, because Distinction* is equivalent to A*, could I just say A*A*A if someone was to ask me what I got at A level?
I know theres a certain attitude that BTEC are not as good as A levels. I can understand that, because admittedly it is more relaxed, but that being said it's not easy due to the nature of some of the units. For double business, you end up writing 15,000-20,000 words per unit (there are 12 units in double BTEC), so theres a fair amount of work involved. THAT'S why a Distinction is equal to an A.
Someone once said to me that A levels and BTECS are like this:

'Imagine two friends walking along a dirt path. They wish to reach the top of this mountain, and eventually come to a split in the road. One road leads off into a forest, with towering trees and the call of birdsong. Another path leads off across a large chasm, with a wooden bridge secured by thick rope. One friend argues that they should take the path through the forest, as it leads upwards and he reckons that even though the path will be longer it will be safer than taking the bridge. The other friend argue they should take the bridge, as it held people before and it will not crumble if they cross it. It also means they do not have to go off course.
Eventually the two friends agree to go their seperate paths, and hopefully meet up later. The forest path is riddled with hidden roots and the one friends trips often. The other friend narrowly misses a hole in one of the planks.
Hours pass and soon, both friends reach the end of their paths. They look and see that the two paths have once again merged together into one. The friends wave at each other and walk towards each other. They speak quickly to eachother, relieved to see one another unharmed. Silently, they glance up. They have reached the base of the mountain.'

So, as you can see, the two friends both took different paths but they both came out with the same outcome, they both reached their goal. Another variation of the story is:

'One friend decided to go to North Pole on an expedition and found an ancient relic: a frozen skeleton, dated back as far as 10,000BC. It still has all it's skin intact and frozen stone weapons in his hands. Scientists back home offer to pay £100,000 for this ancient human.
Another friend travelled to the lush Amazon and spent hours combing the grounds for rare treasure. Eventually he stumbles across a stone statue of a monkey sitting down, it's mouth grinning cruelly. It has green gems for eyes, sparkling and winking in the sunlight. Back home, historians offer to pay £100,000 for this Aztec relic.'
So as you see the friends went on a treasure hunt, went to different locations and found different relics, they both ended up with the same achievement: £100,000.
It's the same with BTEC's and A levels. I my case BTEC business and A level business. We're both on different paths but eventually we'll end up with the same outcome: Distinction*/A*

Does that make sense?
Anyway....uh....what was I saying?
Oh yeah, what I can/can't say.

So the main question was this: Can I say A*A*A if someone asks what my A levels are? It's just such a mouthful to say Distinction*Distinction* A.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah that makes sense, and you can say it bit I don't really know why unless the person you were talking to didn't know about BTEC, most people know or can work out the equivelences.

However you shouldn't write A*A*A on your CV or any job application because it isn't correct information, you could write:

BTEC Diploma: Business
Grade: D*D* (equiv to A*A* at A level)

But seriously in the real world BTEC is more valuable then A levels, so you don't have anything to worry about, and you have good grades, university is the samr , if you applied to do a Business degree you would be viewed in the same light as someone who had business related A levels, I'm sure it covers the same content.

Hope this helps
Cookies4623
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
Yeah that makes sense, and you can say it bit I don't really know why unless the person you were talking to didn't know about BTEC, most people know or can work out the equivelences.

However you shouldn't write A*A*A on your CV or any job application because it isn't correct information, you could write:

BTEC Diploma: Business
Grade: D*D* (equiv to A*A* at A level)

But seriously in the real world BTEC is more valuable then A levels, so you don't have anything to worry about, and you have good grades, university is the samr , if you applied to do a Business degree you would be viewed in the same light as someone who had business related A levels, I'm sure it covers the same content.

Hope this helps
Thank you, you've put my mind at ease on a couple of questions I've had haven't you? thanks for your patience :P
The only reason I ask is (I've mentioned it before) is that in general if someone hears that someone got A*A*A it'd be impressive. But if someone got D*D*A* they'd instantly think 'not exactly smart enough are you?' Which REALLY annoys me, because if I was to say DDA they would look down on me and instantly loose respect simply because I took 2 BTECS. So if I say the equivalent instead they'd be a little more impressed. That being said I would, of course, put my true grades up on my CV. Like you said, BTECS are more valued by employers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%
Italy (34)
8.25%
Netherlands (14)
3.4%
Other (Tell us who) (25)
6.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise