The Student Room Group

Graduate Job Interview - Business Analyst

Hey guys,

I don't usually post on here but I'd really like some of your hints & suggestions on this.

Basically to cut it short, I went for a graduate assessment centre for a Graduate Business Analyst position & I've been informed that I was successful and through to the next stage.

They will now arrange another interview, either in the office or over skype with one of the managers.

At this point, how should I prepare for this interview?

Many Thanks
Original post by salawaat
Hey guys,

I don't usually post on here but I'd really like some of your hints & suggestions on this.

Basically to cut it short, I went for a graduate assessment centre for a Graduate Business Analyst position & I've been informed that I was successful and through to the next stage.

They will now arrange another interview, either in the office or over skype with one of the managers.

At this point, how should I prepare for this interview?

Many Thanks

Well depends on the firm though... If you haven't already (and if you haven't then I don't know what the hell you're playing at...) really research the firm, it's industry sector, SWOT, it's main clients and other than that just know your stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by natninja
Well depends on the firm though... If you haven't already (and if you haven't then I don't know what the hell you're playing at...) really research the firm, it's industry sector, SWOT, it's main clients and other than that just know your stuff.

Thank you for your input, yes before the assessment centre I did quite abit of research, but will do more now. This is the company: http://www.whiteclarkegroup.com/
Original post by salawaat
Thank you for your input, yes before the assessment centre I did quite abit of research, but will do more now. This is the company: http://www.whiteclarkegroup.com/

Business analysis is about turning the problem domain into software requirements. You are the middle man between the business needing a problem solving and the developers / engineers who solve it. So what is it about you that would be good at that job?

Also come up with answers to the stock, but annoying (and useless) questions - What achievement are you most proud of? What is your worst quality? (Frame this as a positive or make it irrelevant to the job i.e. I get annoyed by disruptive people - I support the blues, I bite my nails yada yada yada), Give an example of how you influenced a team situation? What is the worst mistake you made? (You can be honest on this one because everyone learns from their mistakes - make it a funny one)

Have some questions for them. In our desperation for a job we forget that an interview is a two way process. Get them to sell the company to you. What is it about their company that would make you want to work for them rather than all the other companies you have lined up? :smile:

Most importantly, be yourself. Grad interviews at this stage are mainly about personality fit. If you have it, great. If you don't, don't get too disheartened. Think of interviewing like dating. Do you necessarily want to jump into bed with the first person that comes along?

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
Business analysis is about turning the problem domain into software requirements. You are the middle man between the business needing a problem solving and the developers / engineers who solve it. So what is it about you that would be good at that job?

Also come up with answers to the stock, but annoying (and useless) questions - What achievement are you most proud of? What is your worst quality? (Frame this as a positive or make it irrelevant to the job i.e. I get annoyed by disruptive people - I support the blues, I bite my nails yada yada yada), Give an example of how you influenced a team situation? What is the worst mistake you made? (You can be honest on this one because everyone learns from their mistakes - make it a funny one)

Have some questions for them. In our desperation for a job we forget that an interview is a two way process. Get them to sell the company to you. What is it about their company that would make you want to work for them rather than all the other companies you have lined up? :smile:

Most importantly, be yourself. Grad interviews at this stage are mainly about personality fit. If you have it, great. If you don't, don't get too disheartened. Think of interviewing like dating. Do you necessarily want to jump into bed with the first person that comes along?

Good luck!

Thank you!
Reply 5
Right guys, so I did the 2nd interview and all I can say is that it went really well (Or atleast I think). I didn't stumble once, I believe I was very clear & concise in my answers and they seemed impressed overall.

Now at this stage, the only thing I'm probably (slightly) worried about is how many grads they are taking on. From the assessment centre there were 12 of us for the role, but I'm not sure how many they are taking on. What do you guys reckon?

Also, is it that because I got through the assessment centre, they've probably shortlisted the ones whom they want and the 2nd interview is just there to confirm if those candidates are suitable for the role?

Thanks!
It is in the hands of the Gods and there is nothing you can do. All the assessment centre does is put faces to generic CVs and those deemed worthy come forth for a formal interview. There could be 1 to n vacancies on offer and of the 12 who passed the assessment centre they could hire none of your, all of you or anywhere in between. All are valid options in the recruitment process.

If it is a no, do not get too disheartened. Think of getting a job as a journey. Sometimes you do it in one step. Other times you may need to stop along the way. Either way, you will get there in the end and each rejection gives you the opportunity to tweak your technique for the next time.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending