What do universities base their offers on? Watch

szabi97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So, last year my higher exams didn't go well. I am quite a smart student, usually get Bs or As but my there was a loss in my family during the exams which has impacted me mentally and I simply couldn't achieve my best. I ended up getting CCCCC. I am currently in S6 studying Adv. Higher Maths, Adv. Higher Applied Maths Mechanics, Higher Physics and Higher Engineering Science. I am predicted an A in physics, B in Engineering Sci, B in Mechanics and a C in Adv. Higher maths. I have applied to University of Aberdeen to study Civil Engineering for which the entry requirements are ABBB. Looking at my predicted grades I should have the required grades but the university hasn't given me an offer yet. All my friends that have applied to that uni have already gotten their unconditionals and thats making me think that Im gonna get a rejection. I have gotten offers from other universities but Aberdeen would be the best as my family lives there.

Do universities base their offers entirely on the grades achieved in S5 or do they also look at the predicted grades?
Do universities only give out conditional offers once all the uncoditionals were given out?
Do you think I still have a chance of getting an offer from them? If so, when?

I have also done 2 weeks of work experience at a local Civil engineering firm which apparently increases my chances...

Thank you!
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by szabi97)
Do universities base their offers entirely on the grades achieved in S5 or do they also look at the predicted grades?
Do universities only give out conditional offers once all the uncoditionals were given out?

I have also done 2 weeks of work experience at a local Civil engineering firm which apparently increases my chances...

Thank you!
Universities will usually have a standard offer which they will give out to most students. They will usually have a standard "contextual offer" for students with extenuating circumstances, which may be one or two grades lower, depending on these circumstances.

They will look at both your achieved and predicted grades, and read what your referee has written to justify their predictions. I am slightly confused by this portion of your post, as you say the entry requirements are ABBB and your predicted grades are ABBC but you say you meet the entry requirements.

It's likely it's taking longer for you to get your offer as the university are thinking carefully about your circumstances, which makes your application more complex than those of your friends. It's also possible they consider you a borderline candidate, and are waiting to see what responses they get from other candidates before giving you an offer. If they were just going to give you a rejection, they would have done it by now.

The work experience is most likely to give you an advantage against other candidates with a similar academic profile. It probably won't make up for your grades being significantly lower than another candidate.

Unfortunately, you will just have to wait and see whether you get an offer or not. In this sort of situation, it's very hard to second guess unis.
szabi97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi. My predicted grade in Advanced Higher Maths is a C which is the same as an A in higher and by other predicted B is also in an advanced higher.
That should give me AAAB. The fact you said that universities would have rejected me by now makes me feel a lot better. For me, going to Aberdeen uni would be so important that even if they wanted AAAA, I would still take that offer/challange.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by szabi97)
So, last year my higher exams didn't go well. I am quite a smart student, usually get Bs or As but my there was a loss in my family during the exams which has impacted me mentally and I simply couldn't achieve my best. I ended up getting CCCCC. I am currently in S6 studying Adv. Higher Maths, Adv. Higher Applied Maths Mechanics, Higher Physics and Higher Engineering Science. I am predicted an A in physics, B in Engineering Sci, B in Mechanics and a C in Adv. Higher maths. I have applied to University of Aberdeen to study Civil Engineering for which the entry requirements are ABBB. Looking at my predicted grades I should have the required grades but the university hasn't given me an offer yet. All my friends that have applied to that uni have already gotten their unconditionals and thats making me think that Im gonna get a rejection. I have gotten offers from other universities but Aberdeen would be the best as my family lives there.

Thank you!
Woah, we are like the same person!! My grand mother passed away during my exams last year and thus I underperformed and got ABBCC in my Highers - 1 mark away in each subject from AAABB!!

I'm doing AH Maths, AH Physics, AH French and H Computing. I was predicted CCCa because of my grades last year, I was so pissed off about this that I contacted the unis I applied to and stated that my extenuating circumstances have caused my predictions to be distorted - my guidance teacher also sent them confirmation of this.

Anyway, I ended up with 3/5 offers and one unconditional. So, there's still hope!

I've just got back my prelim grades and they were AABa - a big f u to the teachers.

You should be fine a B at AH is equivalent to an A at higher. You have AABB so far, there's still time to improve on those. On the bright side, if you get all As and take a gap year you will definitely get in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads