MSc Investigative and Forensic Psychology

Watch
lydellen93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I couldn't find a thread already regarding the MSc Investigative and Forensic Psychology course, so I thought I'd start one

I am starting the course this September and just wondered if anyone had any books that are relevant to the course. I've taken a year out and want to get myself back into the rhythm of studying.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Lydia
rosenhan73
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

I'm starting this course in September as well At what uni did you do your undergrad degree? There is a list here:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/info/portal/pls...ule_id%3D60988

Doug
lydellen93
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks for the list of reading materials. I did my undergrad at Uni of Birmingham - how about you?
rosenhan73
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm currently in my final year at Aberdeen. What other unis did you apply to for the MSc?
dftbkatie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've also received an offer for the MSc but haven't firmed yet... My main issue is that I'm concerned with patient/offender advocacy, and Liverpool seems centered on the policing side of things. I'm tempted to attend anyway, but having a lot of trouble deciding between my other offers.
rosenhan73
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dftbkatie)
I've also received an offer for the MSc but haven't firmed yet... My main issue is that I'm concerned with patient/offender advocacy, and Liverpool seems centered on the policing side of things. I'm tempted to attend anyway, but having a lot of trouble deciding between my other offers.

Nice, where else did you apply?
dftbkatie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Almost too many to list.. I was stuck in the US mindset of 'apply to as many schools as possible so you have a better chance of getting in somewhere'.

I hold offers from Birmingham, York, Liverpool, Southampton, East London and Columbia stateside. I also applied to Edinburgh (top choice), Sussex, Manchester, and Queen Mary. Haven't heard back from those four yet.
rosenhan73
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Almost too many to list.. I was stuck in the US mindset of 'apply to as many schools as possible so you have a better chance of getting in somewhere'.

I hold offers from Birmingham, York, Liverpool, Southampton, East London and Columbia stateside. I also applied to Edinburgh (top choice), Sussex, Manchester, and Queen Mary. Haven't heard back from those four yet.
Oh wow yeah that's a lot. I applied to 6. Do Edinburgh do Forensic Psychology or is it for Criminology?
dftbkatie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I actually applied to Edinburgh's counseling studies MSc.

How bout you? What other schools did you apply to?
rosenhan73
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I actually applied to Edinburgh's counseling studies MSc.

How bout you? What other schools did you apply to?
I applied to Forensic for all at Liverpool, Glasgow-Cal, Kent, Portsmouth, York, and Leicester.
dftbkatie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Very nice!

Do you have any advice as far as accepting offers goes? I want to wait until I've received offers from all my schools, but I feel like I'm running out of time.
rosenhan73
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Very nice!

Do you have any advice as far as accepting offers goes? I want to wait until I've received offers from all my schools, but I feel like I'm running out of time.
Well I guess it depends if you have to respond to offers soon or not. I was lucky that I got an offer to the one I wanted before the others even came through. The other consideration is living, accommodation can be a problem the longer you leave accepting a place. Do you have close deadlines for accepting?
lydellen93
Rep:
?
Sorry for the delayed reply. I looked into UCL and York but Liverpool was where I wanted to go, so applied there and waited to hear back before I applied anywhere else... Luckily I didn't need to apply anywhere else
rosenhan73
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lydellen93)
Sorry for the delayed reply. I looked into UCL and York but Liverpool was where I wanted to go, so applied there and waited to hear back before I applied anywhere else... Luckily I didn't need to apply anywhere else
Nice, I applied to quite a few places but I got accepted to Liverpool first which was a major relief. Have you had much correspondence from Liverpool about the course?
haralesk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am most likely accepting my offer for this programme at the university of Liverpool as well, but as a Norwegian (I count as an international and not a EU citizen) it sure is crazy expensive.
ZoeyM
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, I am a third year Psychology student (at the Uni of Liverpool) and I am applying for the MSc in Investigative and Forensic Psychology at Uni of Liverpool.
I wanted to ask, since some of you applied there, how were the entry requirements and the process? I've also heard that they prioritise students who had 65% overall for each module in 2nd year- did you find that to be true? Any other tips you have would be valuable.
Clstron
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey I have applied for this too and looking to start in sept. How is the interview? I have a Skype one next Friday and I'm so scared. Also what experience and grades did you all have? X
laurensl94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I had a skype interview back in December and was notified of the decision a week later. The interview is very straight forward with the following questions;
1) why this course
2) why liverpool
3) what forensic/clinical experience do you have
4) if you were collecting data in a prison and the subject died what would you do
5) Describe a project you conducted, the methodology and statistical analysis used
I applied with a 2,1 in Psychology from the University of St Andrews. I had no formal work experience but referred to a series of structured discussions I had with the head of security at a private firm.
Good luck!
Clstron
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by laurensl94)
Hi, I had a skype interview back in December and was notified of the decision a week later. The interview is very straight forward with the following questions;
1) why this course
2) why liverpool
3) what forensic/clinical experience do you have
4) if you were collecting data in a prison and the subject died what would you do
5) Describe a project you conducted, the methodology and statistical analysis used
I applied with a 2,1 in Psychology from the University of St Andrews. I had no formal work experience but referred to a series of structured discussions I had with the head of security at a private firm.
Good luck!
Did you get on the course? X
laurensl94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes i did. How did your interview go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (20)
18.35%
I'm not sure (2)
1.83%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (31)
28.44%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (53)
48.62%

Watched Threads