The Student Room Group

Unsure what to do after my English lit degree?

So I'm currently in my second year of my English literature degree. I absolutely love studying the subject, however I am unsure what I want to do career wise after I graduate. I've always wanted to be a journalist and opted for an English degree rather than journalism because I thought it was the better option, especially if I changed my mind within 3 years. English definitely gives me more options. However I'm torn with what I want to do now. Part of me wants to do a postgrad in journalism or a PGCE in English, Media & Drama, all offered at my university. I have more experience in journalism so if I wanted to teach instead I would need to get more experience in that field.

I am keen on the idea of taking a year out before I start a postgrad course. I would continue to work at my part time job for 6 months and for the rest of the year go on a 6 month TEFL course in Thailand or China, teaching English as a foreign language. This seems like a good idea because not only would I be receiving more teaching experience but I would get to travel which is what I'm really passionate about at the moment. Also it is a paid internship! Has anyone got any experience of TEFL internships?

Writing has always been my passion and I've wanted to be a journalist since I was 14, however teaching seems like the more sensible route. What do you think I should do? Is it sensible taking a year out? Are TEFL courses good? Please help :smile:
Original post by me_
So I'm currently in my second year of my English literature degree. I absolutely love studying the subject, however I am unsure what I want to do career wise after I graduate. I've always wanted to be a journalist and opted for an English degree rather than journalism because I thought it was the better option, especially if I changed my mind within 3 years. English definitely gives me more options. However I'm torn with what I want to do now. Part of me wants to do a postgrad in journalism or a PGCE in English, Media & Drama, all offered at my university. I have more experience in journalism so if I wanted to teach instead I would need to get more experience in that field.

I am keen on the idea of taking a year out before I start a postgrad course. I would continue to work at my part time job for 6 months and for the rest of the year go on a 6 month TEFL course in Thailand or China, teaching English as a foreign language. This seems like a good idea because not only would I be receiving more teaching experience but I would get to travel which is what I'm really passionate about at the moment. Also it is a paid internship! Has anyone got any experience of TEFL internships?

Writing has always been my passion and I've wanted to be a journalist since I was 14, however teaching seems like the more sensible route. What do you think I should do? Is it sensible taking a year out? Are TEFL courses good? Please help :smile:

I have not even started my English degree yet, but I will try chip in.

How much time do you dedicate to becoming a Journalist?

Do you currently freelance or write for your university paper? How much time a week on average do you spend writing and submitting opinion pieces or running a blog?

Have you got any work experience or internships lined up at a magazine, newspaper or Broadcast station for this summer?

If Journalism is your passion, then follow it, but don't expect anyone to employ you if you have nothing to show for that passion and you are twirling around ideas of teaching in your head. The fact you've put more detail into your teaching intern plans and travelling would be a serious red flag for me as a employer in Journalism. No one is going to hire you, me, or anyone with an English degree for just having a 1st or 2:1 and interest.

This goes for your postgrad in Journalism too. If I had too people at my desk and one person had a successful blog, a bunch of published free lance articles and work experience working in an editorial department and the other just had a postgrad and barely any experience, I'd ask why the latter is wasting my time. Just my tuppence worth.
Both the journalism and teaching careers sound great. The gap year sounds exciting. I would say definitely take the year out after your degree. There is no better time to do it. It's hard to do these things when you're settled in a career and when you have your own family. You'll be able to find out what you really like and what you want to do. You can always go down the teaching route and change your mind later and become a journalist, for instance. Why not do both the teaching and journalism qualifications?
Reply 3
You can't get a legal visa to work in Thailand or China straight out of University any more.

Plus you have to remember that TEFL unless it is done at a higher level (universities, state 6th form equivalents) it is absolutely useless in terms of work experience.

TEFL in China is often you got a white face? You're hired, you are often hired as an entertainer and NOT as a teacher.

The experience is considered to be worthless.

Illegal is risky as illegal teachers now have bounties on them for dobbing them in (5000RMB which is 3 months wages for people so they do it). $10000 fine for school and you AND a life time ban from ever working in China for life and not being allowed to even visit China for 5 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending