The Student Room Group

Theology Reading?

I was wondering if you guys who have just applied to Theology for 2015 entry can give a 2016 hopeful a few suggested reads that show an interest in the subject. At the moment I've read David Ford's introduction to theology, Andrew Wilson's Deluded by Dawkins, and am to read "The Modern Theologians" by David Ford and a "Faithful Guide to Philosophy" by Peter S. Williams.

I'm particularly interested in liberation theology, apologetics and and philosophy of religion.

What sort of books are universities expecting me to read? Weighty academic works, or the kind you can find at a Christian book shop?

At the moment I quite like the look of St Andrews and Kings College, but it's still early days! Any suggestions really gladly appreciated.
Reply 1
Reply 2
Hi
I've got 5 offers for Theology entry this year (4 Russell Group), and I can tell you now that universities are not expecting you to have read lots of massive books. I read 'The God Delusion' by Dawkins and a book called 'We Don't Do God' by George and Andrew Carey, because I am interested in the challenges that religion faces in modern society. Neither of these books are particularly hard going. All you need to demonstrate to unis is that you are interested in Theology, and what you learnt from the books. You don't have to read loads. Just read something that you enjoy, it makes it a lot easier!
Original post by em241sa
Hi
I've got 5 offers for Theology entry this year (4 Russell Group), and I can tell you now that universities are not expecting you to have read lots of massive books. I read 'The God Delusion' by Dawkins and a book called 'We Don't Do God' by George and Andrew Carey, because I am interested in the challenges that religion faces in modern society. Neither of these books are particularly hard going. All you need to demonstrate to unis is that you are interested in Theology, and what you learnt from the books. You don't have to read loads. Just read something that you enjoy, it makes it a lot easier!

That's reassuring! I think I'm going to read some Hick & Swinburne just to have some contemporary stuff. Congrats on the 5 offers :smile:
Reply 4
Hi there. I'm (hopefully!) hoping to apply for Theology at Oxbridge (very hopefully!) for entry in 2016. Anyone else in my boat?
Reply 5
Hiya, I have an offer for philosophy and theology from Oxford and I've not read many serious theology books, one I recommend is "god is back: how the global rise of faith is changing the world" by mickelthwaite and wooldridge (I think their names are spelt that way!) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Great thank you very much, well done on your offer and good luck for your A2s. It certainly sounds a very good book.
Original post by sombm
Hi there. I'm (hopefully!) hoping to apply for Theology at Oxbridge (very hopefully!) for entry in 2016. Anyone else in my boat?

I would love to study theology at Oxbridge; the Oxford theology course looks amazing. Sadly, I don't think I would get accepted. I've looked at other unis, however, and St Andrews, Kings College, Durham, Exeter & Edinburgh look amazing.
Reply 8
Original post by surprisedcake
I would love to study theology at Oxbridge; the Oxford theology course looks amazing. Sadly, I don't think I would get accepted. I've looked at other unis, however, and St Andrews, Kings College, Durham, Exeter & Edinburgh look amazing.

Are you applying for 2016 entry? If so, what are your GCSEs cos mine aren't that good but they don't really matter that much for Theology.
Reply 9

I am also considering those five universities.
Original post by sombm
I am also considering those five universities.

Yeah, I'm a 2016 hopeful. I got 9 A* & 4A's at GCSE.

It doesn't really matter for theology though, it's strong AS grades and an interest in the subject that matters for Oxbridge; but, I'm sadly doubtful of getting 4 A's with 90%+ at AS.

King's college are doing some theology taster days this summer but they both fall on dates I have an exam :cool:.
Reply 11
Wow - I only got 3A*s, 5As and a B but I got 3As and a B in my AS mocks. What subjects are you taking at AS?
Original post by sombm
Great thank you very much, well done on your offer and good luck for your A2s. It certainly sounds a very good book.

Thanks, it's a really good book, relates well to the modern world so is great for interviews and showing knowledge of current affairs. If you decide to go for Oxford and have any questions about applying, I'm happy to answer them (obviously it's a slightly different course but I had specific theology interviews so hopefully could be of some help)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sombm
Wow - I only got 3A*s, 5As and a B but I got 3As and a B in my AS mocks. What subjects are you taking at AS?

I'm doing Philosophy, History, English Literature and Law - with a view to drop Law next year. I really wish I could have done religious studies but my college didn't offer it due to lack of interest. I'm hoping that doing Philosophy will be OK, as I'm considering doing a joint course in Philosophy and Theology anyway. How about you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Naomi12
Thanks, it's a really good book, relates well to the modern world so is great for interviews and showing knowledge of current affairs. If you decide to go for Oxford and have any questions about applying, I'm happy to answer them (obviously it's a slightly different course but I had specific theology interviews so hopefully could be of some help)!

Congratulations on the offer! Any advice for the Oxford written test? If I got the grades I would definitely be persuaded by the joint Philosophy & Theology course but the written assessment scares me.
Congratulations on the offer! Any advice for the Oxford written test? If I got the grades I would definitely be persuaded by the joint Philosophy & Theology course but the written assessment scares me.

There's no real way to prepare for it unfortunately - there was only one past paper online and other than the structure the one that I sat had nothing in common with it! The first part wants to test how quickly you can pick concepts up and understand philosophical writing, so mine had an excerpt about Aristotle's prime mover. The second section had a choice of three essay questions, and they want to see how well you can argue, but the questions were really different from what I had expected! One was asking to describe the difference between three similar words, I can't remember the second and I answered one about free speech. If you've ever done any debating it would come in handy for the essay there as it's that style of argument :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I agree with em241sa. Universities are not interested in the number of books you have read. I was fortunate to be offered a place at Cambridge and during my interviews I wasn't asked about anything I read. However, I would find a couple of books that interest you and make notes on them because they can come in very handy for personal statement/interviews. If you can relate the books to what you're currently studying it shows that you're able to analyse text and make synoptic links. I would recommend buying a reader on a particular subject within theology or philosophy e.g. philosophy of religion which contains essays by different scholars and pick out a few that interest you. That way you can gain a more comprehensive understanding without reading 50,000 pages! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and good luck with the application :smile:
Original post by Naomi12
There's no real way to prepare for it unfortunately - there was only one past paper online and other than the structure the one that I sat had nothing in common with it! The first part wants to test how quickly you can pick concepts up and understand philosophical writing, so mine had an excerpt about Aristotle's prime mover. The second section had a choice of three essay questions, and they want to see how well you can argue, but the questions were really different from what I had expected! One was asking to describe the difference between three similar words, I can't remember the second and I answered one about free speech. If you've ever done any debating it would come in handy for the essay there as it's that style of argument :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by G700
I agree with em241sa. Universities are not interested in the number of books you have read. I was fortunate to be offered a place at Cambridge and during my interviews I wasn't asked about anything I read. However, I would find a couple of books that interest you and make notes on them because they can come in very handy for personal statement/interviews. If you can relate the books to what you're currently studying it shows that you're able to analyse text and make synoptic links. I would recommend buying a reader on a particular subject within theology or philosophy e.g. philosophy of religion which contains essays by different scholars and pick out a few that interest you. That way you can gain a more comprehensive understanding without reading 50,000 pages! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and good luck with the application :smile:

Thank you both for your advice :smile:
Reply 18
I'm doing Philosophy, History, English Literature and Law - with a view to drop Law next year. I really wish I could have done religious studies but my college didn't offer it due to lack of interest. I'm hoping that doing Philosophy will be OK, as I'm considering doing a joint course in Philosophy and Theology anyway. How about you?

I am studying Economics, Government and Politics, History and Religious Studies for AS. If I get the same grades in all of them at AS, I will drop Government and Politics, For Theology ad Religion at Oxford, I need to be predicted at least 3As at A-Level and they pretty much require all As at AS. My school didn't offer R.S. either. I go to Merchant Taylors' Boys' School in Crosby and have to go to the Girls' School down the road and unfortunately I only get half the lessons. Good luck.

My daughter had 5 offers to read Theology including one from Cambridge. She couldn't take Religious Studies for GCSE or A'level as it isn't offered at her school but this hasn't been a problem. She took English Literature, History, Psychology and Art for AS and dropped the Art. You possibly need to do a bit more reading around the subject to show motivation if you haven't been taught it. She was lucky to get the chance to do an IB extended essay so chose to do that on a theological theme. In addition she read just a handful of books including one by Rowan Williams which they did ask her about at one of her interviews. Hope this helps. Best of luck with your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending