Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm in year 11 and currently doing my GCSEs, which means that in summer I'll have absolutely NOTHING to do. Yay!!! So I figured it'd be useful to get a summer job. But the problem is- most people who are in year 11 looking for summer jobs will be 16, but as my birthday isn't until the very end of August, for the whole summer holidays (bar a few days) I'll only be 15.

What types of jobs do you think I should try to get? Ideally, I'd like either a job in a nursery school or something (which I think is unrealistic at 15) or a cleaning job- as I'm quite shy, so a cleaning job would mean I don't have to deal with customers in the same way as I would if I were a waitress. Would these jobs be attainable for a 15 year old? If so, how would I go about getting them- especially a cleaning job? If not, what types of jobs are attainable? Thanks in advance!!!

ReputationRep:
    One of my teachers reccomended to me that I look into getting a cleaning job. I just have no idea how to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

That was last year for me. Ask local companies about summer jobs - there are usually lots going. If you can't find anything, look at the local paper. If you still can't find anything, all the large shops are always looking for temporary staff. A few things you might want to consider first though:

1. Don't forget that this is probably the longest summer holiday you've had for a while - do make the most of it to spend time with friends, doing things you want to do (don't work for all of it!).

2. Better to find a job that you find slightly interesting than just any going, otherwise you might find yourself more bored than if you weren't working at all. Don't expect a huge rate of pay either.

3. You said you were quite shy - perhaps that would be more reason to find a job where you will be talking to people, as this could be a great help in the long term.

Just my thoughts, I hope they help a bit.

Best of luck with your GCSEs; collecting the results in August is much worse than sitting the exams.

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly the same as you r.e. wanting to work. The problem is unless you have a national insurance number few places will want to legally take you on. Insurance for a company costs more if they employ people under 16, and the places that may take you on may not be very professional. There is also no minimum wage for your age group, so be cautious about where you work.

Good luck though! When i was your age i did a lot of voluntary work until i was old enough to get a paid job. The voluntary work was good experience for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I was exactly the same as you r.e. wanting to work. The problem is unless you have a national insurance number few places will want to legally take you on. Insurance for a company costs more if they employ people under 16, and the places that may take you on may not be very professional. There is also no minimum wage for your age group, so be cautious about where you work.

Good luck though! When i was your age i did a lot of voluntary work until i was old enough to get a paid job. The voluntary work was good experience for me.
    Where did you do the voluntary work?

ReputationRep:
    I do voluntary work already at a centre for disabled children. This is a weekly thing, but will not be run during the summer holidays, so I can't do that. What my plan was for the summer, is to do a weeks' (unpaid) work experience somewhere, and then paid work for the rest of the time. Trouble is- I don't know how to go about getting a cleaning job, or what other types of job I could get....

ReputationRep:
    So- anyone any suggestions how I would go about getting a cleaning job?

ReputationRep:
    when i was 15 i worked in sainsbury! look in to your local store, and see if they too employ from 15... its an ok job and the pay is quite decent especially if you stay with them for a while. i.e. for more than one year.

ReputationRep:
    my local college ran a series of courses for children over the summer, and i was part of the team that took care of the kids. it was fun and paid well- it might be worth seeing if your local college does anything similar....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    my local college ran a series of courses for children over the summer, and i was part of the team that took care of the kids. it was fun and paid well- it might be worth seeing if your local college does anything similar....
    Good idea- thanks!

ReputationRep:
    you should get your national insurance number like 2 months before your birthday so you could see if you could get work then. Are there any restaurants/cafes/golf clubs near you as they usually employ under 16s in their kitchens.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got your NI Number, a lot of work places will accept you. All you have to do is ask them for a job.

ReputationRep:
    I think this summer holidays all jobs will be full as many immigrants especially from Eastern European countries, who r in EU, r coming to UK for a work and earning money. They r doing many low paid jobs and i think you have not got a lot of chance of getting the work. I am 15 yeas old as well, I thought about getting work in summer holidays as well, but I think I dont have that much chance

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm in year 10 and currently doing my GCSEs, which means that in summer I'll have absolutely NOTHING to do. Yay!!! So I figured it'd be useful to get a summer job. But the problem is- most people who are in year 10 looking for summer jobs will be 15, but as my birthday isn't until the very end of August, for the whole summer holidays (bar a few days) I'll only be 14.

What types of jobs do you think I should try to get? Ideally, I'd like either a job in a nursery school or something (which I think is unrealistic at 14) or a cleaning job- as I'm quite shy, so a cleaning job would mean I don't have to deal with customers in the same way as I would if I were a waitress. Would these jobs be attainable for a 14 year old? If so, how would I go about getting them- especially a cleaning job? If not, what types of jobs are attainable? Thanks in advance!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abijah)
    Ok, so I'm in year 10 and currently doing my GCSEs, which means that in summer I'll have absolutely NOTHING to do. Yay!!! So I figured it'd be useful to get a summer job. But the problem is- most people who are in year 10 looking for summer jobs will be 15, but as my birthday isn't until the very end of August, for the whole summer holidays (bar a few days) I'll only be 14.

What types of jobs do you think I should try to get? Ideally, I'd like either a job in a nursery school or something (which I think is unrealistic at 14) or a cleaning job- as I'm quite shy, so a cleaning job would mean I don't have to deal with customers in the same way as I would if I were a waitress. Would these jobs be attainable for a 14 year old? If so, how would I go about getting them- especially a cleaning job? If not, what types of jobs are attainable? Thanks in advance!!!
    Are you stalking my posts????? Quit copying me!

http://www.uk-learning.net/t51681.html

ReputationRep:
    this isnt a permanent way of income but it puts a bit or a lot of extra cash in ur pocket ok this only really works in non eu countrys as they charge taxs like we do. But every time i go on holiday i buy as many cigarettes as i can and when i come bak home i sell them to my friends because theres a big difference to wat other countrys charge cigarettes and we do we charge 4.50 per box of 20 whilst in the us they charge 19 dollars 4 a pack of 100!! I usally sell them at 3.00 or 3.50 pack and u can c by the price differences that u can spend a small amount and get bak as much as u want and if ur under 16 (i am) just explain the thing to ur mum and dad and they should understand and buy them 4 u

ReputationRep:
    Sainsburys employ 15 year olds, as do WHSmith (i think!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flynny)
    this isnt a permanent way of income but it puts a bit or a lot of extra cash in ur pocket ok this only really works in non eu countrys as they charge taxs like we do. But every time i go on holiday i buy as many cigarettes as i can and when i come bak home i sell them to my friends
    This is illegal in the UK, probably illegal in the EU, and possibly illegal in many more countries. Don't land yourself in jail!

You can't really put it down on your CV either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally45)
    when i was 15 i worked in sainsbury! look in to your local store, and see if they too employ from 15... its an ok job and the pay is quite decent especially if you stay with them for a while. i.e. for more than one year.
    Hey, i'm 15 2, i went sainsbury's yeterday, to ask bout a job ant they sed u have to be at least in yr 11 and done ur GCSE's and then u hav a pretty gd chance

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.