Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i don't think it's your savings accounts per se that are looked at?

more your "income" which includes interest on savings if it's over a certain amount is taken into account.. which is only fair i think.
    My bad then! Certainly when I went to uni, parents savings were included over a certain threshold value - luckily mine were as poor as church mice!

ReputationRep:
    re: fees. From reading around on the internet, it looks like there's a loop hole whereby if you all (sibs) go to the same university, then your parents only pay one set of fees. This applies even if there are only two of you.

If you go to different unis (and there are 3 of you) then your contribution will be reduced, but at the discression of your LEA.

ReputationRep:
    i could be wrong..but i think when i did the mass of paperwork filling in, it doesn't ask for specific savings amounts, but has questions about various sources of income: interest on huge savings, property, trust funds..

i wish.. :rolleyes: lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i could be wrong..but i think when i did the mass of paperwork filling in, it doesn't ask for specific savings amounts, but has questions about various sources of income: interest on huge savings, property, trust funds..

i wish.. :rolleyes: lol.

lol! I kmow what you mean! When I went (and this was 9 years ago!) savings under £8k were safe, but you had to declare savings over that amount and they were used (both as a lump sum, and as an income generating source) to calculate the level of your grant.

I want a trust fund! Charlotte Church's would be nice

ReputationRep:
    hmm, yeah, i think there might still be some thing about savings over a certain amount..damn..

even though i lack the property income, investments & trust funds in my name :rolleyes: i've always been the saver type & am living like a poor student with some to spare from my loan & planning on working full time for ~2.5 months over the summer (at least £25,000 debt when i graduate from a 6 year course is a scary prospect!)

..hmm..might check what this maximum amount allowed is & live a bit more frivolously if otherwise my hard earned savings are taken into account!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    hmm, yeah, i think there might still be some thing about savings over a certain amount..damn..

even though i lack the property income, investments & trust funds in my name :rolleyes: i've always been the saver type & am living like a poor student with some to spare from my loan & planning on working full time for ~2.5 months over the summer..hmm..might check what this maximum amount allowed is & live a bit more frivolously if my hard earned savings are taken into account!

Or if you earn and save that much, a nice offshore savings account might work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Or if you earn and save that much, a nice offshore savings account might work
    i'm lucky in the terms are short here & my parents don't charge me rent in the holidays + i've worked full time all my past 2 summers & have an MOD admin job lined up for the summer so my saving is going reasonably..although i forsee an emergency expenditure soon (new ball dress for Queens' ? )..

but hmm..maybe i should just move somewhere nice & offshore instead..!

although to be honest Oxford is quite lovely now it's all sunny! shame i'm inside trying attempting to write an endocrine essay..

i've been responsible for this thread digressing, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    although to be honest Oxford is quite lovely now it's all sunny! shame i'm inside trying attempting to write an endocrine essay..

i've been responsible for this thread digressing, sorry!

I miss it a lot! Especially when the sun is shining!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)

I miss it a lot! Especially when the sun is shining!
    the first time i visited, it rained. over interviews, it rained.. surprised i ever picked the place!

but now it's very pretty. (did you ever walk round Adison's Walk?)

heaving with tourists already though.. slightly concerned about the spectacle i shall make of myself as i walk up the high street in sub fusc to sit prelims in just over a month :eek: = peak tourist season! there might be 'student rage' if i'm blocked in by vast numbers of slow walkers in my nervous state!

are you in the capital now then?

think i should close internet explorer & focus on ACTH..humph.

ReputationRep:
    Wheres Pencil Queen when you need her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    the first time i visited, it rained. over interviews, it rained.. surprised i ever picked the place!

but now it's very pretty. (did you ever walk round Adison's Walk?)

heaving with tourists already though.. slightly concerned about the spectacle i shall make of myself as i walk up the high street in sub fusc to sit prelims in just over a month :eek: = peak tourist season! there might be 'student rage' if i'm blocked in by vast numbers of slow walkers in my nervous state!

are you in the capital now then?

think i should close internet explorer & focus on ACTH..humph.
    Ahh! I don't miss 'Tourist Rage' The way they 'shuffle' down Cornmarket St and then stop dead for no reason at all!

Good luck in your Pre-lims! I'm sure you'll be more than fine! Have you started looking into your Part two research project yet?

Am in Dinium now - am back up to Oxford to do the Sheldonian thang in a few months though - bet it rains!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Wheres Pencil Queen when you need her?
    Yeah! They should make her work weekends! Having a life shouldn't come in to it

ReputationRep:
    yay! by the looks of that calculator on the studentfinancedirect website, i'll be getting the full loan of £4095!

always nice, like!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    yay! by the looks of that calculator on the studentfinancedirect website, i'll be getting the full loan of £4095!

always nice, like!!

Coola! The stuuupid thing doesn't work for 'independent' (aka mature)students though! As soon as you tick the mature box it says it can't give you a 'quote'. Stupid really as I know my own earnings, but if I were a 'dependent' student I owuld have to guess my parents earnings to get an answer!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    And where did they decide to put the Exams School??? Straight bang on the High Street next to University College!!! :mad: Getting there is almost as hard as the exams themselves!

The tourists aren't too bad though. Just keep away from Christ Church and Magdalen and things aren't too bad. Subfusc is the problem, at least you'd be a commoner and not one of us novelty acts!

ReputationRep:
    2. Help with fees

In 2004/05 the maximum amount that any student will be asked to contribute towards their fees is £1,150. Most students will be asked to contribute less than this depending on their household income.

Dependant students
    For 2004/05, students who depend financially on their parents and whose household residual income (income before deductions but minus certain allowances) is:

- less than £21,475 - make no contribution
    - between £21,475 and £31,972 - pay a part contribution, worked out on a sliding scale.
    - £31,973 or more - the full fee contribution of £1,150.

I think one of the allowances is for other children at uni.

The dfes site says:

Different rules apply if you have a brother or sister who is also receiving student support from the LEA. The LEA will work out your parents’ total contribution before they share it between yourself and your brother and sister. In normal circumstances, it will be shared out equally. However, the LEA is required to share out the parental contribution in unequal parts in certain circumstances. Your LEA will be able to give you more information.

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...i_guides.shtml

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.