The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

What's Norwich like?

My sister can't choose between Liverpool or UEA for Biological Sciences. Liverpool is really nice according to her.

Thanks for any replies :smile:
Original post by BCMFM16
My sister can't choose between Liverpool or UEA for Biological Sciences. Liverpool is really nice according to her.

Thanks for any replies :smile:

Personally I love it- two shopping centres, three cinemas, a bowling alley, many pubs and several clubs all within walking distance once your in the city (a 15-20 mins bus ride from campus)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Personally I love it- two shopping centres, three cinemas, a bowling alley, many pubs and several clubs all within walking distance once your in the city (a 15-20 mins bus ride from campus)

Thanks for you reply :smile:
Reply 3
I can only talk about the teaching in bio at UEA but it's genuinely really good. There is so much support available to you, lecturers are really approachable oh and the biology department has it's own cafe!

Norwich as a city is amazing (to the point I couldn't leave it when it came to going to uni!) I'm never bored if I'm in the city. It's definitely coffee shop culture, you're never too far way from a coffee outlet in the city (or on campus really!) Also, you have the theatre and the playhouse (alongside the LCR & Waterfront) which add to live entertainment if that's up her street. We get pretty good comedy and there are a lot more shows coming on tour, we also get a lot of new and upcoming bands. I don't think it's on par with Liverpool when it comes to live entertainment; Norwich isn't as big of a city and we don't get so many 'big' bands which is a downside so it really depends on what's preferred!
Reply 4
Original post by DoDoBeDo
I can only talk about the teaching in bio at UEA but it's genuinely really good. There is so much support available to you, lecturers are really approachable oh and the biology department has it's own cafe!

Norwich as a city is amazing (to the point I couldn't leave it when it came to going to uni!) I'm never bored if I'm in the city. It's definitely coffee shop culture, you're never too far way from a coffee outlet in the city (or on campus really!) Also, you have the theatre and the playhouse (alongside the LCR & Waterfront) which add to live entertainment if that's up her street. We get pretty good comedy and there are a lot more shows coming on tour, we also get a lot of new and upcoming bands. I don't think it's on par with Liverpool when it comes to live entertainment; Norwich isn't as big of a city and we don't get so many 'big' bands which is a downside so it really depends on what's preferred!

Thanks for your reply!:biggrin:
Norwich is a great city, there are two shopping malls, an area full of restaurants such as TGI Fridays, Las Iguanas and Nandos, two cinemas and more! We have good travel links with the rest of England mainly by coaches and trains (there is a direct train to London).

In terms of nightlife there is something to suit everyone whether you enjoy a quiet bar, a gig or a club.

Norwich is around 30 minutes from the nearest coast.

As of Autumn 2015, we will also have an ikea!

The UEA itself sits in the research park in Norwich which is excellent for biological sciences and we are also a short journey away from Cambridge with yet more scientific influence.

Hope this helps!
My best friend is in Liverpool, and I'm in Norwich, so we've been up to visit each other and both preferred our own cities! Personally, I'd say Norwich is safer and friendlier. It's definitely a more hipster-y town, smaller and tightly packed with independent shops and cafes. You won't miss out on any facilities, but you will be able to walk just about anywhere.
Some things to consider:
- different types of campuses - Liverpool is kinda inside the city, whereas UEA is self-contained just outside
- Liverpool will have more central transport links
- Mersey vs the Broads (obvs. the broads win. We go boating)
- medieval city vs more contemporary industrial city
- student accommodation - UEA's housing is much nearer to the uni and to city facilities

Pricewise I'd say they're fairly similar, although the cost of living is a bit lower up north. In the end, it's such a personal choice. Norwich is gorgeous; it has little bits of history and stories bursting out of every corner, it has incredible people, and it's a really individual city, so I'd definitely recommend it!
whats the diversity like and are there gyms on campus?
Norwich is quite diverse! I'm not sure about gyms on campus, the sportspark probably has one but in the city there is a 24 hour gym!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrawlx101
whats the diversity like and are there gyms on campus?

Unless she's a keen weightlifter the gym is really good, and has everything you need. Definitely prefer the SP gyms over some of the ones I've been to in the city where I sometimes feel intimidated using a machine near a bunch of guys ladding each other up where as at the SP it just feels more welcoming.

Also considering how far out Norwich is compared to most cities it is very diverse (I mean it's no london!), I'm mixed race and have never felt out of place. There are also lots of societies centred around most cultures.

Won't repeat what everyone else has said. But I'll add that even though BIO are our sworn enemies (ENV student) the department is highly respected and everyone I know in BIO loves their course/being here. Also if your sister is interested in taking modules from other science dept, because the whole of the science faculty is linked (both physically and interdisciplinary) it's very easy to take modules in those areas.

I've been here four years and I don't want to leave :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending