The Student Room Group

PGCE experience

Hi,

I am currently in my second year at uni and I am hoping to apply for a early years/KS1 PGCE later this year.

So far experience wise, I teach a dance class twice a week to 4-9 year old children, I worked at a summer camp last summer for special needs children, I have volunteered in a reception class one day a week for 6 weeks, and volunteered in a special needs school twice a a week for around 8 weeks. I will also be working at a camp with young children for two months this summer.

Do you think this experience would be sufficient?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heya, I am starting my SCITT course in September ( schools centred initial teacher training) after having my interview in October. I think you have more than enough experience under your belt! They do say that your experience has to be within the last year though but it sounds like you have that!

My experience was- during my MA I volunteered at Kensington palace as family learning and schools volunteer, then when I moved back home I started a job teaching as a interpreter demonstrator for museums (teaching school groups) and then after a year of doing that and working at local post office I decided to get a job as a teaching assistant, which I am doing now until I start my course! Sounds like you have plenty of experience!

Where would you apply for PGCE? And why did you choose that over SCITT/ITT or teach direct?

X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I've too been accepted into a SCITT course to start in September. I had my interview in January. I can't wait to start!

I'm currently volunteering in my old primary school in the afternoons. I am aiming to do this tues, weds, thurs, as I will be working nights.

I think the more days you candidate the better.

Lisa xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lmshephard
Hi

I've too been accepted into a SCITT course to start in September. I had my interview in January. I can't wait to start!

I'm currently volunteering in my old primary school in the afternoons. I am aiming to do this tues, weds, thurs, as I will be working nights.

I think the more days you candidate the better.

Lisa xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oo which SCITT course are you on? I can't wait to get started either! Seems like a very full on and hard year but so worth it. How did you find your interview? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilysavage1991
Oo which SCITT course are you on? I can't wait to get started either! Seems like a very full on and hard year but so worth it. How did you find your interview? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on the WRPITT (Wakefield Partnership for Initial Teacher Training) Course. What about you?
Yeh from what I have read it is very hard and stressful but like you say it will be worth it :smile:
The interview went well, I had to do a 10 min presentation from an area of the KS1 curriculum, plus an interview with 3 Headteachers and a maths and emglish test (in addition to pro skills tests) How was yours?
Have you passed Skills tests yet?

Lisa xx
I'm on the WRPITT (Wakefield Partnership for Initial Teacher Training) Course. What about you?
Yeh from what I have read it is very hard and stressful but like you say it will be worth it :smile:
The interview went well, I had to do a 10 min presentation from an area of the KS1 curriculum, plus an interview with 3 Headteachers and a maths and emglish test (in addition to pro skills tests) How was yours?
Have you passed Skills tests yet?

Lisa xx

Yeah at my interview had a 10 min presentation, then a teach to a group of children, then group discussion and then then sent half of the people home and then had maths and English tests and interview with headteachers! Was such a long day! I had my interview in October and had to pass the professional skills tests within a month so I passed them! They weren't too bad.

I'm going to South Coast SCITT :smile:

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by emilysavage1991
Yeah at my interview had a 10 min presentation, then a teach to a group of children, then group discussion and then then sent half of the people home and then had maths and English tests and interview with headteachers! Was such a long day! I had my interview in October and had to pass the professional skills tests within a month so I passed them! They weren't too bad.

I'm going to South Coast SCITT :smile:

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!!

Sorry for butting in your conversation! I have a SCITT interview in a weeks time! I have to teach 4 yr 1 or 2 students for ten mins too. Any ideas on what to do!? I obviously want something engaging and fun! I've been pulling my hair out thinking about it - its so stressful!
I have a presentation to prepare for aswell!! any help or tips would be much appreciated xx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by R28
Hi!!

Sorry for butting in your conversation! I have a SCITT interview in a weeks time! I have to teach 4 yr 1 or 2 students for ten mins too. Any ideas on what to do!? I obviously want something engaging and fun! I've been pulling my hair out thinking about it - its so stressful!
I have a presentation to prepare for aswell!! any help or tips would be much appreciated xx

Hi

I did a materials lesson to 10 year 2s with glass, wood and metal. I taught them the properties and why they would be used for different objects. At the end I printed 3 gold stars out and asked them to stick the stars on the objects in the classroom that were made from the materials.

Get them to feel the objects (apart from glass) and get them to describe how they feel and what they look like.

The kids loved it and really engaged.

Advice - look at the curriculum and whatever you chose to teach make sure it's on there.

Good Luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi

I did a materials lesson to 10 year 2s with glass, wood and metal. I taught them the properties and why they would be used for different objects. At the end I printed 3 gold stars out and asked them to stick the stars on the objects in the classroom that were made from the materials.

Get them to feel the objects (apart from glass) and get them to describe how they feel and what they look like.

The kids loved it and really engaged.

Advice - look at the curriculum and whatever you chose to teach make sure it's on there.

Good Luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh Thanks so much!! That sounds fab! I have been going over the curriculum all day today! :frown: As I only have ten minutes with the kids I was thinking of a starter activity - at the moment I'm thinking of something to do with phonics.

I've also been going over the new SEN code of practice, did they ask you about this in your interview at all? There's just so much to read about!!

xx
Original post by R28
Ahh Thanks so much!! That sounds fab! I have been going over the curriculum all day today! :frown: As I only have ten minutes with the kids I was thinking of a starter activity - at the moment I'm thinking of something to do with phonics.

I've also been going over the new SEN code of practice, did they ask you about this in your interview at all? There's just so much to read about!!

xx

You're Welcome :smile:
Yeah I had 10 minutes, I think I went over though by a few minutes though.
I practised and timed each time. I got it exactly 10 mins but when you are with the kids you need an extra 5 mins for questions ha.

Yeah phonics sounds great :smile:
What about a poem or a rhyming story with the phonics sounds they are learning or a big CH.... On the board and get them to say as many words as they can think of with CH in.

They focused a lot on safeguarding in my interview. Also, how I would differentiate between learning abilities. Plus the usual why do I want to teach etc.

what SCITT are you doing x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm planning on practicing it with four of my nieces and newphews who are year 2!! Lol! Once I've finalised my idea that is!

I've applied for the Leicester one, i've also applied for a pgce at bishop grosseteste university, I have that interview on Tuesday!

Would much rather do the scitt though as it's more school based! I'd find it better to get hands on experience, I just hope I don't let my nerves get the better of me!! Xx
Original post by R28
I'm planning on practicing it with four of my nieces and newphews who are year 2!! Lol! Once I've finalised my idea that is!

I've applied for the Leicester one, i've also applied for a pgce at bishop grosseteste university, I have that interview on Tuesday!

Would much rather do the scitt though as it's more school based! I'd find it better to get hands on experience, I just hope I don't let my nerves get the better of me!! Xx

Haha that's a good idea. Ask them what they are learning too.

I only applied to SCITTs and SD. I wanted more time in schools :smile: Plus I think it's better when applying for jobs as you have more hands on experience.

My interviewers were lovely. You have to remember they want you to succeed 😊
In the lesson just forget about the assessor, focus on the kids and the time will fly. You will be fine

Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by R28

Good luck, I am doing secondary SCITT History at Rushey Mead! And will be a part of the Uni. of Leicester! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by SpenceHarris1589
Good luck, I am doing secondary SCITT History at Rushey Mead! And will be a part of the Uni. of Leicester! :smile:

Thats great! Well done :-) I still have my interview..any tips!? Im really not sure how to prepare for the interview, its so hard to try and cover everything!
Original post by R28
Thats great! Well done :-) I still have my interview..any tips!? Im really not sure how to prepare for the interview, its so hard to try and cover everything!

I have a document of stuff that could help you :smile: PM me an email address :smile:
Reply 15
Hi. I know this is a rather old post but just wondered if you could give me any more information on the South Coast Scitt interview process? I found out yesterday I have an interview on Tuesday and am not feeling prepared at all! Any ideas on the 5 minute micro teaching? Are you given the teaching activity for the children? All help appreciated. Many thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lisa3261
Hi. I know this is a rather old post but just wondered if you could give me any more information on the South Coast Scitt interview process? I found out yesterday I have an interview on Tuesday and am not feeling prepared at all! Any ideas on the 5 minute micro teaching? Are you given the teaching activity for the children? All help appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi Lisa,

There is a facebook group that has been set up to support people going through the application process for teacher training so it might be worth asking on there. The link is below

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1718/?multi_permalinks=1514322555274461%2C1514272855279431%2C1514268155279901&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1485119211580565
Reply 17
Original post by nottreece
Hi Lisa,

There is a facebook group that has been set up to support people going through the application process for teacher training so it might be worth asking on there. The link is below

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1718/?multi_permalinks=1514322555274461%2C1514272855279431%2C1514268155279901&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1485119211580565

Great - thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending