The Student Room Group

Procrastinator's thread- HELP & Advice

:elefant::elefant: Procrastinators! :elefant::elefant:

This thread is for those who procrastinate, say they're going to work, but end up doing nothing. For those who are laid back, and relaxed, when exams are just round the corner. For those who don't take things seriously. For those who constantly give up, and suffer from perfectionism. It is, for you all really, because we all do go through this, once in a while. Some more than others, but this thread is just basically for you to get back on track!

So basically:

Name the subjects you do.
Point out the subject that worries you the most.
Explain your reasons for procrastinating.

-Why you can't pick yourself up, and push yourself to study?
-What is distracting you?
-Is it fear of getting things wrong that puts you down?
-Is it the lack of understanding or is it just not being bothered?

Then plan.

You need motivation, a drive and something to drive towards.
-What do you REALLY want to do in the future. Your dream.
-What University you REALLY want to go to.
-What grades you REALLY want to get.

How are you going to get what you REALLY want?

Remove distractions: Mobiles, laptops, ipads, eat before you study, take food with you etc.. What ever it is that distracts you, remove it. Then in the summer holidays, you will have time to chill and you'll have no regrets.

If it is the lack of understanding that puts you down, you have to push yourself to understand it. Once you have understood the content, it won't feel so daunting. You'd enjoy it more, and go over it more frequently. Ask your teachers, you're not alone. Ask TSR!!

And if you're just not bothered, firstly make sure you're organised. When your notes, books and folders are a total mess, you won't be bothered to go for a search, to find what you need. It would be must simpler, and less time consuming, if you're organised and neat.

Other things you could do:

Print out a picture of your dream's.
The University you desire to go to.. Your dream dob etc..
Stick it on your wall!

I am a procrastinator, that hasn't studied in 4 weeks. Mainly because I went away for a week, then felt awfully behind. I gave up, and my mocks are this week.

TRY GET YOUR HEAD DOWN! WE CAN DO IT :elefant:

New article: 10 ways to stop wasting revision time now
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Meh, I'll read this thread tomorrow.

thanks anyway
Reply 2
Original post by Nicholas Nelson

thanks anyway

Norty Norty D:
Original post by Dinaa
Norty Norty D:

In all serious I did read it and it was extremely good, thanks for putting it together :smile:
Actually the whole stick your dream job up is a good idea...ahh sucks though cus I fell massively behind in my Art GCSE and so have basically got to redo 200 hours of work before Easter...so I can't even think about revising until then...never mind. This will help when the time comes though!! I'm soooooooo bad. I'll come back to the thread and answer all the questions then...but yeah. THANKS XXX

thanks anyway

Basically this.

This is a good idea for a thread but I'm just too lazy to contribute.
Reply 6

thanks anyway

I see what you did there. :colone:
Yeah this thread is actually what I needed. I just had three mocks today, two went okay but economics omg I think I got a U :frown: it was THAT bad, mainly because I missed a whole topic cause I will ill and it was on that.

I procrastinate, well because when I start revision I feel so overwhelmed with everything I don't know and I fret over what needs to be done rather than doing it. I am fairly intelligent, or that's what I thought so until I sat my exams last year and didn't do that well. I told myself I was going to change but it didn't happen, now only 70 days away from my exams I've started. I don't know why but I can't seem to concentrate no matter how hard I try, chemistry comes naturally because well, once I learn the concepts I remember whereas you have to memorise for biology, a skill I need to develop.

Now, today is the day where I start properly, if I can't seem to understand or lose concentration I will try my best to take time out to carry on because otherwise I've already failed if I haven't given it my 100%

Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
story of my life.
Original post by TheGreatImposter
Yeah this thread is actually what I needed. I just had three mocks today, two went okay but economics omg I think I got a U :frown: it was THAT bad, mainly because I missed a whole topic cause I will ill and it was on that.

I procrastinate, well because when I start revision I feel so overwhelmed with everything I don't know and I fret over what needs to be done rather than doing it. I am fairly intelligent, or that's what I thought so until I sat my exams last year and didn't do that well. I told myself I was going to change but it didn't happen, now only 70 days away from my exams and i've barely started. I don't know why but I can't seem to concentrate no matter how hard I try, chemistry comes naturally because well, once I learn the concepts I remember whereas you have to memorise for biology, a skill I need to develop.

Now, today is the day where I start properly, if I can't seem to understand or lose concentration I will try my best to take time out to carry on because otherwise I've already failed if I haven't given it my 100%

Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
A2 economics, psycho and geog. Procrastinating with geog, i love doing economics cuz its not bad to me, but everything else is bleurgh.
I want to be basically a houseboyfriend and qualifications aren't gonna help with that

unfortunately I'm too ugly (physically and mentally) to fulfil literally my only dream so I'm gonna have to work to sustain myself

so I do need qualifications
but to reach my dream they're useless
:elefant:

subjects:
Product design- textiles, Art and Design, History, English literature/language

subject that worries me the most: ALL OF THEM

Explain your reasons for procrastinating:
:bubbles:
Fallen behind on work so I'm in a cycle because I keep being given more work. This then means that I keep thinking about all the work and not getting it done. I am also currently doing mocks and I'm disorganised.:facepalm::help:

-What is distracting you?
Everything

Original post by Dinaa

WE CAN DO IT :elefant:

YES WE CAN :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dinaa
:elefant::elefant: Procrastinators! :elefant::elefant:

Dinaa, you've done it again! This thread is awesome :rave:
Subjects- physix, biology, chemistry, maths, geography, english and french :tongue:

worries: english, french and geog

its just that there are sooooo much other fun stuff to do and even if i try to bring myself to do some revision i can't xD
Its kinda annoying since my REAL exams are only 2 months away :frown:
I cri evrytiem.

thanks anyway

LOL u literally just read my mind XD
Reply 17
Name the subjects you do. Unemployed Graduate Studies
Point out the subject that worries you the most. Life, Life, Women, Sex, Relationships, Employment, Living Alone, Talking to People, Working with People, Living with People, Death, Women, Life

Explain your reasons for procrastinating. Anxious, nervous, scared, depressed, obsessing, worrying, instant gratification, tiring, castration anxiety

-Why you can't pick yourself up, and push yourself to study? I could I'm just a bit of a lazy ****. Also I obsess. Finally I have no idea what to study.
-What is distracting you? Life
-Is it fear of getting things wrong that puts you down? The penalty for failure is death
-Is it the lack of understanding or is it just not being bothered? Both
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Name the subjects you do. Unemployed Graduate Studies
Point out the subject that worries you the most. Life, Life, Women, Sex, Relationships, Employment, Living Alone, Talking to People, Working with People, Living with People, Death, Women, Life

Explain your reasons for procrastinating. Anxious, nervous, scared, depressed, obsessing, worrying, instant gratification, tiring, castration anxiety

-Why you can't pick yourself up, and push yourself to study? I could I'm just a bit of a lazy ****. Also I obsess. Finally I have no idea what to study.
-What is distracting you? Life
-Is it fear of getting things wrong that puts you down? The penalty for failure is death
-Is it the lack of understanding or is it just not being bothered? Both

PRSOM :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest