How do you know if you have real depression? Watch

Justadude14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Like for about the past 7 years I've been trying to avoid pbvious reasons I want to die. But it's not like I want to think of these things I try to avoid them but it's wittled me down to simply nothing. I feel so old now being 21 and have done nothing with my life. And finally feel like I'm completely alone like it's all up to me. And I feel like I spent 21 years being mauled by a bear several bears and like its hard to try to pick up the pieces because I didn't take care of myself during that time and it's catching up with me and I will never be a decent person. I'm just depressed about life sometimes when I have known people who knew what normal was and lived with them I felt less depressed and like I can be like anyone else but now completely deserted I feel like I will never get myself to where I want to be which is just like anyone else. People look at me and don't like me I think because they can tell I'm not normal like them. But anyway how's one to know if they have real disordered depression or just situational?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You definitely have depression if you comment like this. :hugs: Do you have anyone to talk to about it?
Jay84
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sometimes it can be hard to objectively tell if it is yourself. The first time I had an episode of depression, I didn't really see it myself; I just thought I was physically ill and when the doctor said I was depressed, I just walked out the room and wouldn't listen.

That said, you could easily search and find some diagnostic criteria and see if any of them apply.
LouiseR1980
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It does sound like depression, I would speak to your GP and tell them how you are feeling. I know its easy for people to say go to gp but it can be a lot harder than that. You are only 21 and believe it or not that is young, the average uk life expectancy is about 78 for a man and 82 for a woman, if you seek help now you have plenty time to become the person you want to be, and you will be a decent person.

Depression still effects people whether it is situational or not, find someone you can talk to, a counsellor or gp.

I have felt exactly how you felt but with counselling and Cognative Behaviour Therapy, I have changed and I am happier with myself and my life. Three years ago Id never have thought I would be heading off to Uni in a matter of months, I have a new group of friends and my life is so different.

You can turn this around with the right support.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads