The Student Room Group

Advice for treating shin splints/pain?

For the past week I have been suffering with unbearable pain due to shin splints (they feel bumpy which I've never had before). I run 4-5km a day usually, but I have been doing this for few months so I don't really understand why this has just happened. Does anyone have any tips on how to treat it as I'm barely able to run 1km without extreme pain and I need to run as it helps with my CFS. I've tried painkillers and icing it but nothing seems to help, so any suggestions ? Thanks!
Do your shoes need replacing? When my shoes started getting old I got all sorts of little niggles.

I would keep icing them when they're sore, maybe take an anti-inflammatory and rest them.
Sounds like you need new trainers, ice/hot water bottle (you'll know what works better for you) and some rest! Certainly makes a world of difference any time I have shin splints.
My trainers are less than 6 months old and they weren't cheap (around £100) so I was unsure if it was them. Thanks the advice about hot water bottle was good it's really helping! I'm trying not to run and just use a cross trainer at the moment to see if it makes any difference. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kaleyelizabeth96
My trainers are less than 6 months old and they weren't cheap (around £100) so I was unsure if it was them. Thanks the advice about hot water bottle was good it's really helping! I'm trying not to run and just use a cross trainer at the moment to see if it makes any difference. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends how many miles you're doing in them. Should change them around the 500 mile mark. Less if you're heavier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kaleyelizabeth96
For the past week I have been suffering with unbearable pain due to shin splints (they feel bumpy which I've never had before). I run 4-5km a day usually, but I have been doing this for few months so I don't really understand why this has just happened. Does anyone have any tips on how to treat it as I'm barely able to run 1km without extreme pain and I need to run as it helps with my CFS. I've tried painkillers and icing it but nothing seems to help, so any suggestions ? Thanks!

Could also be a CFS flare up. When my ME is particularly bad I find myself suffering worse from other things (chilblains etc) than I do normally. I used to suffer quite badly with shin splints when I was running (I was doing 3 miles every other day) but never really worked out the cause. I gave up my running in the end as my ME got too bad.

Try running on grass rather than the pavement? That's what my partner was told to do when he got SS.

Quick Reply

Latest