Death penalty given to ex-muslim Watch

The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-court-gi...094037909.html

Saudi court gives death penalty to man who renounced his Muslim faith

RIYADH (Reuters) - An Islamic court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced a man to death for renouncing his Muslim faith, the English-language daily Saudi Gazette reported on Tuesday.

The man, in his 20s, posted an online video ripping up a copy of Islam's holy book, the Koran, and hitting it with a shoe, the newspaper reported.
Saudi Arabia, the United States' top Arab ally and birthplace of Islam, follows the strict Wahhabi Sunni Muslim school and gives the clergy control over its justice system.
Under the Wahhabi interpretation of Sharia Islamic law, apostasy demands the death penalty, as do some other religious offences like sorcery, while blasphemy and criticism of senior Muslim clerics have incurred jail terms and corporal punishment.
Executions in Saudi Arabia are usually carried out by public beheading.
International rights groups say the Saudi justice system suffers from a lack of transparency and due process, that defendants are often denied basic rights such as legal representation and that sentencing can be arbitrary.
The Saudi government has taken some steps to reform its judicial system but has also defended it as fair.
Last year a court in Jeddah sentenced Saudi liberal Raif Badawi to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in prison for publishing criticism of the kingdom's ruling religious and political elite and calling for reforms in Islam.
The first of 50 of those lashes were carried out in January, but subsequent rounds of flogging have not occurred. Officials have not publicly commented on the case, but insiders say the lashing appears to have been quietly dropped.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wish I could be surprised by this story.

Saudi has once again confirmed that it is ran by ****ing nutters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SmallDuck
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds believable. This is just one of infinite reasons to keep sharia out of Europe.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ripping up the Qur'an probably didn't help his situation. But with that said, this is utterly barbaric - needless to say. I honestly don't know how they get away with this kind of execution; it violates the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. If this were pretty much any other country, we'd place sanctions on Saudi in an instant - but because we need their inexpensive oil, all the Western world is happy to turn a blind eye. It's a sad state of affairs.
gohz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
Ripping up the Qur'an probably didn't help his situation.
:yes: just like drawing cartoons of Prophet didn't help cartoonists situation
The_K1NG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He shouldn't have ripped the Quran in a Muslim country. He wasn't gonna get away with that.
al_94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The west should give him refugee status if possible but it may be too late for him now.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I wish I could be surprised by this story.

Saudi has once again confirmed that it is ran by ****ing nutters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You seem to be picking in Saudi here. The same has happened in otheridlim countrys.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
You seem to be picking in Saudi here. The same has happened in otheridlim countrys.
Saudi is ran by nutters. There is no denying that.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Saudi is ran by nutters. There is no denying that.
Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran tk name a few have done the same.

In fact, you'll find that unless it's a secular (ish) state, renouncing islam is a punishable act.

I'll put money on this guy being mentally ill. They normally are in cases like this.
DavidCuntron
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So long as they support the West's interests in the region I guess they have immunity.

:rolleyes:
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran tk name a few have done the same.

In fact, you'll find that unless it's a secular (ish) state, renouncing islam is a punishable act.

I'll put money on this guy being mentally ill. They normally are in cases like this.
Anyone who thinks that killing someone for renouncing their faith is a nutter.

If that guy had done the same thing in Britain he would probably have been arrested.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone who thinks that killing someone for renouncing their faith is a nutter.

If that guy had done the same thing in Britain he would probably have been arrested.
What's the pint you're trying to make.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's the pint you're trying to make.
I'm not making any point just as you aren't making any point.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not making any point just as you aren't making any point.
Merely highlighting that a Muslim converting is illegal and punishable by death on many Muslim countrys.

Saudi Arabia isn't alone in this.
ZolaCFC25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
US's best mates doing similar stuff to ISIS... such hypocrisy
catsis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)

The man, in his 20s, posted an online video ripping up a copy of Islam's holy book, the Koran, and hitting it with a shoe, the newspaper reported.
I don't believe in death penalties and I don't think it should ever be used. But one of the things I dislike are people who go out of their way to express their atheism. Look, if you're not a theist that is absolutely fine but to go out of your way to slam the religion is just a bit too much and attention seeking.

Why can't we respect each other from a distance?

Plus, he must have known what consequences he was risking.
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by catsis)
I don't believe in death penalties and I don't think it should ever be used. But one of the things I dislike are people who go out of their way to express their atheism. Look, if you're not a theist that is absolutely fine but to go out of your way to slam the religion is just a bit too much and attention seeking.

So posting an actual news article from a well regarded world renounced news source without changing even a word is 'going out of my way to express my atheism'.

I cannot help it if what's happening in the world is leading you towards atheism. I'm not an atheist myself but good for you.
catsis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
So posting an actual news article from a well regarded world renounced news source without changing even a word is 'going out of my way to express my atheism'.

I cannot help it if what's happening in the world is leading you towards atheism. I'm not an atheist myself but good for you.
What? I was talking about the guy 'ripping the Q'ran and hitting it with a shoe', not you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm not an atheist either.
AdvanceAndVanquish
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by catsis)

This appears to be classic victim-blaming of the "she shouldn't have worn such revealing clothes if she didn't want to be raped" variety.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads