Trigonometry problem

Watch this thread
Melanie Leconte
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I would really appreciate your help with this problem :

arctan x + arccos x = pi/4

Thank you
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Melanie Leconte)

Thank you
What have you tried?
math42
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You can use compound angle formulae; for instance try taking the tangent of both sides of the equation.
Melanie Leconte
Rep:
Thank you. I have tried using some of the trigonometric identities including the sum & difference formulas for sin, cos and tan.
atsruser
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Thank you
Assuming that you want to solve for x, then this question would be easier if it were all in terms of, say, arctan. So suppose that \phi=cos^{-1} x and try to find an expression that introduces \tan somehow. (Hint: draw an appropriate right angled triangle).
Melanie Leconte
Rep:
(Original post by Mr M)
What have you tried?

Thank you. I have tried using some of the trigonometric identities including the sum & difference formulas for sin, cos and tan.
Mr M
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The easiest way is to tan both sides and use the expansion of tan (A+B).

Look at the identities on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse...tric_functions
atsruser
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Thank you
Did you manage to solve this? I get the only solution to be x=1 but that's by way of a messy quartic, one of whose roots I had to find via Wolfram alpha, and which can be ruled out by a non-trivial argument about the behaviour of \arctan x +\arccos x over [-1,1] (or which in fact I did by checking its graph)

This seems far too tricky for A level - is it a STEP question?
Melanie Leconte
Rep:
(Original post by atsruser)
Did you manage to solve this? I get the only solution to be x=1 but that's by way of a messy quartic, one of whose roots I had to find via Wolfram alpha, and which can be ruled out by a non-trivial argument about the behaviour of \arctan x +\arccos x over [-1,1] (or which in fact I did by checking its graph)

This seems far too tricky for A level - is it a STEP question?

I don't know if it is from step paper. I was set it as a brain teaser for year 11.
I have managed to solve it and I can see what you mean about the quartic
atsruser
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't know if it is from step paper. I was set it as a brain teaser for year 11.
I have managed to solve it and I can see what you mean about the quartic
Where do you study that you do this in year 11? Hogwarts?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (63)
66.32%
No (25)
26.32%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed