Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Hang on, can I get a PS2 emulator for the PC rather than fork out for a box?
    whaqt is that

ReputationRep:
    Why not, I've liked the others I've played (FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX) not to mention other square games (Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve 2) and probably some I've forgotten. The only square game that disappointed me was Final Fantasy Chronicles, AKA FFI and FFII rereleased for the PS1.
    FF are the best games to purchase, because they last so long, and give a great idea to players what they should expect from games.
    All Square games (Now Square Enix) i've played have been brilliant, and i do include chronicles in that (although that was more because the challenge of it made me really determined to complete it, regardless of the time i put into it).
    I can't wait for Star Ocean 3, as it merges Square, the greatest games company of all time, and Enix, the second greatest (And star ocean, the only game that i can say i prefer to Final Fantasy).

ReputationRep:
    Hang on, can I get a PS2 emulator for the PC rather than fork out for a box?
    Only if your machine is really really high specs, and it still isn't good as playing it on the PS2 in my opinion, but it is worth it to play FFX and X-2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    FF are the best games to purchase, because they last so long, and give a great idea to players what they should expect from games.
    All Square games (Now Square Enix) i've played have been brilliant, and i do include chronicles in that (although that was more because the challenge of it made me really determined to complete it, regardless of the time i put into it).
    I can't wait for Star Ocean 3, as it merges Square, the greatest games company of all time, and Enix, the second greatest (And star ocean, the only game that i can say i prefer to Final Fantasy).
    the reason they are so boring is becvause the last forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayrosser2004)
    the reason they are so boring is becvause the last forever
    Surely that means they are better, because, for example here, i bought MGS for £20, and it took me about 3 hours to complete first time. I played it a bit sinse, completed it a couple more times, but haven't got any more than 10 hours play out of it.
    Final Fantasy X, i bought for £40, i've completed twice and have played for over 200 hours.
    So thats £2 an hour for MGS, which i found boring anyway, and 20p an hour for FFX which i enjoyed immensly and will play again (after completing all the other FF's, as i work through them alot when i have nothing else to do).

ReputationRep:
    Well I have a dual P3 machine at home with 1.5Gb RAM but my video card is a pants NVidia thing with 64MB, I don't use it for games.
    You'd need to upgrade the graphics i think, but apart from that, you should be able to handle it i think.

ReputationRep:
    Surely that means they are better, because, for example here, i bought MGS for £20, and it took me about 3 hours to complete first time. I played it a bit sinse, completed it a couple more times, but haven't got any more than 10 hours play out of it.
    Final Fantasy X, i bought for £40, i've completed twice and have played for over 200 hours.
    So thats £2 an hour for MGS, which i found boring anyway, and 20p an hour for FFX which i enjoyed immensly and will play again (after completing all the other FF's, as i work through them alot when i have nothing else to do).
    yeh like it took you 3 hours to complete mgs

ReputationRep:
    yeh like it took you 3 hours to complete mgs
    Yeah, it did (MGS1 btw).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it did (MGS1 btw).
    yeh mgs1 is really easy. im on about mgs2

ReputationRep:
    yeh mgs1 is really easy. im on about mgs2
    Well i've borrowed it off my cousin for a bit, and it was just as boring as the first.
    Exactly the same sort of distinctly average gameplay, little worthwhile storyline, and generally nothing that i haven't played before.
    I played it for about 6 hours, don't know how far i am through, but i don't think i'll bother completing it.

ReputationRep:
    Well i've borrowed it off my cousin for a bit, and it was just as boring as the first.
    Exactly the same sort of distinctly average gameplay, little worthwhile storyline, and generally nothing that i haven't played before.
    I played it for about 6 hours, don't know how far i am through, but i don't think i'll bother completing it.
    took me 9 hours to complete

ReputationRep:
    Well I have a dual P3 machine at home with 1.5Gb RAM but my video card is a pants NVidia thing with 64MB, I don't use it for games.
    Remember, your machine will have to be alot more powerful than the PS2 to run the emulator.

Look at the Icarus, the Dreamcast emulator. It gets around 15 FPS on a 3 Ghz Machine...
    Maybe the emulators could be improved but i dont think there are many decent ones about (except for older consoles).

I was looking at XBox emulators the other day, and they are probably have the best chance of being successful on the pc because apparently the XBox runs a very cut down version of windows2000/XP mix with optimized DirectX and no GUI. The XBE files that the xbox run are meant to be really similar to EXE files aswell, so there wont be as much "emulation" that needs to take place.

There still arnt any decent ones about tho.

ReputationRep:
    I'm playing ff7 right now. I'm up to Kalm and the long flashback. I've completed 7-10 and played 5 and 6 to very close to the end. 5 is very good btw. You can get it on PSX or SNES...

I've seen the new trailer of advent chilren too and it looks very cool...www.adventchildren.net

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    Remember, your machine will have to be alot more powerful than the PS2 to run the emulator.

Look at the Icarus, the Dreamcast emulator. It gets around 15 FPS on a 3 Ghz Machine...
    Maybe the emulators could be improved but i dont think there are many decent ones about (except for older consoles).

I was looking at XBox emulators the other day, and they are probably have the best chance of being successful on the pc because apparently the XBox runs a very cut down version of windows2000/XP mix with optimized DirectX and no GUI. The XBE files that the xbox run are meant to be really similar to EXE files aswell, so there wont be as much "emulation" that needs to take place.

There still arnt any decent ones about tho.
    Yeah, the XBOX runs like a PC. You can even upgrade them like one, so they can be emulated pretty easy.
    I cant currentlt think of a good PS2 emulator. Usually they only come along after the next gen consoles turn up, because its only then that PC technology is good enough to play the games.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the XBOX runs like a PC. You can even upgrade them like one, so they can be emulated pretty easy.
    I cant currentlt think of a good PS2 emulator. Usually they only come along after the next gen consoles turn up, because its only then that PC technology is good enough to play the games.
    I downloaded a Xbox emulator and a 2gigabyte game but the emulator didnt like it. I don't think there are any decent ones yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    I downloaded a Xbox emulator and a 2gigabyte game but the emulator didnt like it. I don't think there are any decent ones yet
    Oh. I meant ones that run the disk on the machine.
    If they have to run a downloaded version, thats usually slightly different, so maybe there would have been problems.

ReputationRep:
    Did you run it as a DVD or from your hard disk, and would it make any difference if it was an original?
    I ran it from my harddisk. I have run games from my hard disk on other emulators fine.

The emulator said that it didnt work with very many games as it is still being developed. I also found a program that converts XBE files (Xbox game files) into exe's, but that didnt work either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    I ran it from my harddisk. I have run games from my hard disk on other emulators fine.

The emulator said that it didnt work with very many games as it is still being developed. I also found a program that converts XBE files (Xbox game files) into exe's, but that didnt work either
    Well the emulators are only in the early stages really.
    A good emulator usually takes years to get working for most games.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. I meant ones that run the disk on the machine.
    If they have to run a downloaded version, thats usually slightly different, so maybe there would have been problems.
    O i see. I dont actually have an xbox My mate asked me to download the game as he has one, I will try it on his machine when i go home in a few weeks

ReputationRep:
    Well the emulators are only in the early stages really.
    A good emulator usually takes years to get working for most games.
    yeh, because nobody gets paid for making them. Microsoft could make a xbox emulator pretty quickly if they wanted to, and could sell it and make money from it.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.