The Student Room Group

M4 (Logic problem)

In Ex2B Q. 14, sphere A initially has a velocity 2i+5j and sphere B has 2i-2j, after collision sphere A has velocity 3i+4j.
But when I tried to calculate the coefficient of restitution, I found that using (Vb-Va)/(Ua-Ub)=e would get me a negative answer, and then I realized this would be physically impossible, as A would have to go through B to have a velocity of 3i+4j.
Sorry there isn't a question here, it's just that this question is bothering me.
Original post by simonli2575
In Ex2B Q. 14, sphere A initially has a velocity 2i+5j and sphere B has 2i-2j, after collision sphere A has velocity 3i+4j.
But when I tried to calculate the coefficient of restitution, I found that using (Vb-Va)/(Ua-Ub)=e would get me a negative answer, and then I realized this would be physically impossible, as A would have to go through B to have a velocity of 3i+4j.
Sorry there isn't a question here, it's just that this question is bothering me.

Hey, I only do M2 and M3 but this is relevant to what I've done thankfully. From looking at the velocity vectors, you have A coming in from the south towards the north, with the same horizontal component of velocity as B, only B is moving north to south and slower in the j-axis.

The final velocity vector of A shows that it continues to move north, simply at a slower speed (which is logically what you would expect), and you would then assume that the direction of B in the j-axis is reversed (from negative j value to positive).

So to get the final speed of B, use COLM (Conservation of Linear Momentum).

And for NLR, (Newton's Law of Restitution) if you say -e = u1-v2/u+v, taking north as positive.

Not seen a problem exactly like this in M2/M3 (Edexcel) but I gave it my best shot.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by simonli2575

State Newtons Law of Restitution in words. Apply it to the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest