The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Primary education at Edinburgh - is it as bad as unistats/the student hut say?

Hi, I'm wait in to hear back from Edinburgh after my interview for primary education with history (hopefully not jinxing this...). The place seems great, and I've only heard good things from individuals, but on unistats and the student hut (are they related? They're very similar) it doesn't seem too positive, especially for student satisfaction. Is this wildly inaccurate, or is there actually an issue? Thank you :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hello there! First of all, good luck with your application! Primary Education is such a magical degree. I actually started the BEd programme in 2013, so can only comment on my experience in relation to that degree. Moray House is a fantastic place to study, with everyone being super friendly and the course tutors being readily accessible whenever you truly need them. The only downsides that I can think of is that the place is a tad disorganised, so results and feedback take a while to come back! Also, the education modules are a killer! Make sure you attend every class and do all the reading you can! I'd say that my experience at Edinburgh has been a really positive one and whilst the course is really demanding, the rewards totally outweigh this. Hope this has helped you and again, good luck!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by itsmaaarc
Hello there! First of all, good luck with your application! Primary Education is such a magical degree. I actually started the BEd programme in 2013, so can only comment on my experience in relation to that degree. Moray House is a fantastic place to study, with everyone being super friendly and the course tutors being readily accessible whenever you truly need them. The only downsides that I can think of is that the place is a tad disorganised, so results and feedback take a while to come back! Also, the education modules are a killer! Make sure you attend every class and do all the reading you can! I'd say that my experience at Edinburgh has been a really positive one and whilst the course is really demanding, the rewards totally outweigh this. Hope this has helped you and again, good luck!

Thanks, thats really helpful :smile: Sorry for all the questions, but is making friends (oh god that sounds so stupid when typed out) easy enough? I'd be coming from NI and would know no one :/
Hi, I am trying to transfer there from Aberdeen and honestly I feel every education dept is unorganized. I dont think they can help this..
Original post by Gib1997
Thanks, thats really helpful :smile: Sorry for all the questions, but is making friends (oh god that sounds so stupid when typed out) easy enough? I'd be coming from NI and would know no one :/

Making friends was probably the easiest part of the university experience. If you stay in student accommodation, you'll make great friends there and everyone on the course will be lovely, I'm sure of it!
Reply 5
Original post by itsmaaarc
Making friends was probably the easiest part of the university experience. If you stay in student accommodation, you'll make great friends there and everyone on the course will be lovely, I'm sure of it!

Thats fantastic, now just need an offer haha, thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Gib1997
Thats fantastic, now just need an offer haha, thanks :smile:

I'm from NI and waiting on an offer for primary teaching at Edinburgh too!:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Anna-22
I'm from NI and waiting on an offer for primary teaching at Edinburgh too!:smile:

Woo, high five :P when was your interview?
Reply 8
Original post by Gib1997
Woo, high five :P when was your interview?

It was feb 18th :smile: wbu?
Reply 9
Original post by Anna-22
It was feb 18th :smile: wbu?

Feb 19th haha. What'd you think of it?
Reply 10
Original post by Gib1997
Feb 19th haha. What'd you think of it?

Ah right haha! I really like that I can study history with teaching but I don't like the sound of a year long placement! I don't think my interview went particularly well so I doubt I'll get an offer. Is Edinburgh your first choice? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Anna-22
Ah right haha! I really like that I can study history with teaching but I don't like the sound of a year long placement! I don't think my interview went particularly well so I doubt I'll get an offer. Is Edinburgh your first choice? :smile:

History is my 'with subject too' :smile: I quite like the idea of a year long placement though. I don't like saying it's my first choice because it's like I'm jinxing it; Glasgow was my first choice, and I got myself all hyped up just to be rejected :/ but it probably would be. Have you got offers/ interviews anywhere else? I've got a conditional for Strathclyde
Reply 12
Original post by Gib1997
History is my 'with subject too' :smile: I quite like the idea of a year long placement though. I don't like saying it's my first choice because it's like I'm jinxing it; Glasgow was my first choice, and I got myself all hyped up just to be rejected :/ but it probably would be. Have you got offers/ interviews anywhere else? I've got a conditional for Strathclyde

Good choice haha :smile: I was the same with Stranmillis. I got myself hyped up to and got rejected. So my offers are glasgow + dundee. I'm not sure which to go for. If I get Edinburgh it will probably be between it and Glasgow. Well done on your Strathclyde offer!
Reply 13
Original post by Anna-22
Good choice haha :smile: I was the same with Stranmillis. I got myself hyped up to and got rejected. So my offers are glasgow + dundee. I'm not sure which to go for. If I get Edinburgh it will probably be between it and Glasgow. Well done on your Strathclyde offer!

Ah I got rejected from stran too, as did my friend, it's super tough and the interviews are awful. I withdrew from Dundee (loooong story) but Glasgow was the toughest to hit. Would love an offer from Edinburgh but don't wanna get cocky. And thank you :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Gib1997
Ah I got rejected from stran too, as did my friend, it's super tough and the interviews are awful. I withdrew from Dundee (loooong story) but Glasgow was the toughest to hit. Would love an offer from Edinburgh but don't wanna get cocky. And thank you :smile:

Yeah the Stran interviews were awful and I really think it turned me off the university, especially after seeing what's in Scotland. Yeah, Edinburgh city was amazing! We were told offers would be given in 2-3 weeks so we should hear soon hopefully? I've been checking my emails basically every 30 mins haha.
Reply 15

Original post by Anna-22
Yeah the Stran interviews were awful and I really think it turned me off the university, especially after seeing what's in Scotland. Yeah, Edinburgh city was amazing! We were told offers would be given in 2-3 weeks so we should hear soon hopefully? I've been checking my emails basically every 30 mins haha.

I know, they were so badly run and my interviewers were super grumpy :/ I've been doing the same haha, any day now....may I ask, what school are you at at the minute?
Reply 16
Original post by Gib1997

I know, they were so badly run and my interviewers were super grumpy :/ I've been doing the same haha, any day now....may I ask, what school are you at at the minute?

Yes, it's so annoying. I go to Portadown College. Wbu? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Anna-22
Yes, it's so annoying. I go to Portadown College. Wbu? :smile:

Sullivan, in all it's prerentious glory haha. Looking forward to leaving NI tbh
Reply 18
Original post by Gib1997
Sullivan, in all it's prerentious glory haha. Looking forward to leaving NI tbh

haha!! That's not too far from where I am! Same actually. I thought Scotland was brilliant when I was over. But i don't think I'll feel ready to leave in September :/
Reply 19
Original post by Anna-22
haha!! That's not too far from where I am! Same actually. I thought Scotland was brilliant when I was over. But i don't think I'll feel ready to leave in September :/

I'm torn. On one hand, I love my friends and my family (always envisioned having a 'modern family' esque close extended family when I'm older). On the other, I hate NI. I think regardless of how stran went, I was gonna wind up leaving anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending