Lainathiel
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hola!

I'm just looking through some exam questions before my mocks this week as well as the respective examiners' reports, and was a bit intrigued by one of the comments made:

Question - "Explain the concept of 'Ideals' in Plato's writings." (25)

Comment - "...More able answers did not merely relate the relationship of the Forms to theparticulars in the world, but were able to explain their implications for education,invention and the moral life."

I would consider myself to be reasonably sound on Platonic philosophy, but wasn't sure what the examiners were talking about in this particular point? I gather in terms of 'moral life', they mean Plato's Form of the Good being an absolute standard of goodness - especially as opposed to the relativism of the Sophists at the time - which you could then relate to absolutism from the ethics unit. However, what do they mean about 'education and invention'? I've tried researching it but have no idea what they mean?

Maybe it refers to irrelevance of teaching things in the empirical world, seeing as he considered true knowledge to not be present in experience-able things; with the exception of mathematical teaching, which is the closest one can be to the Forms (Divided Line).

Again, I don't know, but I wanted to be sure if there was anything else I could talk about as I'm sure there will be a Plato's Cave/Idealism question in my mock paper. Also, I just like philosophy, and was interested in talking about it with people, haha.

^_^
georgiakirk123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lainathiel)
Hola!

I'm just looking through some exam questions before my mocks this week as well as the respective examiners' reports, and was a bit intrigued by one of the comments made:

Question - "Explain the concept of 'Ideals' in Plato's writings." (25)

Comment - "...More able answers did not merely relate the relationship of the Forms to theparticulars in the world, but were able to explain their implications for education,invention and the moral life."

I would consider myself to be reasonably sound on Platonic philosophy, but wasn't sure what the examiners were talking about in this particular point? I gather in terms of 'moral life', they mean Plato's Form of the Good being an absolute standard of goodness - especially as opposed to the relativism of the Sophists at the time - which you could then relate to absolutism from the ethics unit. However, what do they mean about 'education and invention'? I've tried researching it but have no idea what they mean?

Maybe it refers to irrelevance of teaching things in the empirical world, seeing as he considered true knowledge to not be present in experience-able things; with the exception of mathematical teaching, which is the closest one can be to the Forms (Divided Line).

Again, I don't know, but I wanted to be sure if there was anything else I could talk about as I'm sure there will be a Plato's Cave/Idealism question in my mock paper. Also, I just like philosophy, and was interested in talking about it with people, haha.

^_^

Maybe it's referring to Plato's idea of anamnesis, which is the idea that the soul is non-forgetting. It doesn't forget what it has encountered in the World of Forms. Everything we know is just remembered we create no new ideas.
Lainathiel
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by georgiakirk123)
Maybe it's referring to Plato's idea of anamnesis, which is the idea that the soul is non-forgetting. It doesn't forget what it has encountered in the World of Forms. Everything we know is just remembered we create no new ideas.
Oooh, that's interesting; I'll have to look that up. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.78%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.85%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.47%

Watched Threads