A2 ocr psychology - options in applied psychology help! Watch

Nemo.1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey all!
New to this, always loved this website with the useful tips and extra help given by everyone!

I am studying OCR A2 psychology and can't seem to get my head around it! There are so many studies to remember and the fact i have to write it all under 2hrs is a joke!

Could anyone help me on useful revision tips? Also does anyone have the 2014 paper? Trying to predict what will be on this exam :confused:
Thank you!
Claros
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nemo.1)
Hey all!
New to this, always loved this website with the useful tips and extra help given by everyone!

I am studying OCR A2 psychology and can't seem to get my head around it! There are so many studies to remember and the fact i have to write it all under 2hrs is a joke!

Could anyone help me on useful revision tips? Also does anyone have the 2014 paper? Trying to predict what will be on this exam :confused:
Thank you!
It's nice to finally see someone on the same exam board as me!

I got an A* in this mock exam (though I was only tested on half of the paper, the health and clinical section) so I will give you my revision tips:
  • I first made revision cards for all of the studies during the holidays, but I would get into the habit of doing these cards after you complete three studies (so every sub-section)
  • I then got my mum and my friends to keep testing me on the information so that I would remember the key points and be able to recall them in the exam
  • For the 15 mark questions, I looked at general points that could be made on the studies. Then, using the information that I learnt from my revision cards I was able to just make up more specific points. General points could be on validity, generalisability, ethics, usefulness, reliability, ethnocentrism etc.

Are you also doing Health and Clinical and Forensic Psychology? I do have access to the 2014 paper but I don't want to give you the questions to an irrelevant section (I'm also not entirely sure if I'm allowed to give you the questions either because I've seen people asking around the site for 2014 papers and them being told that they're not allowed to know due to mock exams etc.)

In my mock if I remember correctly there were questions on lack of control, biological treatments for a disorder, cognitive explanations for a disorder and the combined approach. My teacher said that these questions served as a prediction for what they think will come up.

Hope this helps
Nemo.1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claros)
It's nice to finally see someone on the same exam board as me!

I got an A* in this mock exam (though I was only tested on half of the paper, the health and clinical section) so I will give you my revision tips:
  • I first made revision cards for all of the studies during the holidays, but I would get into the habit of doing these cards after you complete three studies (so every sub-section)
  • I then got my mum and my friends to keep testing me on the information so that I would remember the key points and be able to recall them in the exam
  • For the 15 mark questions, I looked at general points that could be made on the studies. Then, using the information that I learnt from my revision cards I was able to just make up more specific points. General points could be on validity, generalisability, ethics, usefulness, reliability, ethnocentrism etc.

Are you also doing Health and Clinical and Forensic Psychology? I do have access to the 2014 paper but I don't want to give you the questions to an irrelevant section (I'm also not entirely sure if I'm allowed to give you the questions either because I've seen people asking around the site for 2014 papers and them being told that they're not allowed to know due to mock exams etc.)

In my mock if I remember correctly there were questions on lack of control, biological treatments for a disorder, cognitive explanations for a disorder and the combined approach. My teacher said that these questions served as a prediction for what they think will come up.

Hope this helps
Finally! I always looked at other thread but seeing they weren't on the same board it wasn't very useful

Well done for your grade!

I have done my revision cards for each section and started practicing them. I think the real issue is now knowing I HAVE to revise all the content, so I am slacking in that aspect as I already know I have done the cards
The tip on the 15 marker is very useful! I would try doing that. I have taught myself in finding similar evaluation points in each sub section so that I can generally state the strengths and weaknesses then go on to link it with a specific study and my conclusion always being how useful the research is applying it to the question

Regarding the sections; yes I am doing health/forensic. They are very interesting topics
Also im not too sure if you are allowed to give out the 2014 paper, I agree with that it may be mocks for some people?
I would appreciate a heads up on what to revise in depth

Many thanks for your help!
Claros
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would appreciate a heads up on what to revise in depth

Many thanks for your help!
Like I said, the questions that I got in my mock exam were meant to serve as predictions from my college. The two questions I can definitely remember were on describing the combined approach and assessing the validity of measures of stress, and the other one was outlining the cognitive explanation for a disorder and comparing the different explanations.

For the other 2 that came up I can't completely remember, I think one was on how lack of control is a cause of stress and the limitations into research on causes of stress. For the fourth one I can't remember- in my last post I said it was about biological treatments for a disorder but that came up last year, so I can't be sure.

Hope this helps just a bit.
Nemo.1
Rep:
?
ahh i see! Well thank you for those!
Much appreciated!
Claros
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ahh i see! Well thank you for those!
Much appreciated!
Here's another update...
These are the topics that haven't come up since 2010 or earlier:
Combined approach
Behavioural treatment for stress
Characteristics of a psychotic disorder
Lack of control as a cause of stress
Cognitive explanations for a disorder
Cognitive treatments for dysfunctional behaviour
Physiological measures of non adherence

I would focus on these, it still seems like a lot but it narrows it down a bit.

Obviously revise all of them because you never know, they might do a repeat of a study that appeared later, but these haven't appeared in 4 or so years so this is your best bet.
Nemo.1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claros)
Here's another update...
These are the topics that haven't come up since 2010 or earlier:
Combined approach
Behavioural treatment for stress
Characteristics of a psychotic disorder
Lack of control as a cause of stress
Cognitive explanations for a disorder
Cognitive treatments for dysfunctional behaviour
Physiological measures of non adherence

I would focus on these, it still seems like a lot but it narrows it down a bit.

Obviously revise all of them because you never know, they might do a repeat of a study that appeared later, but these haven't appeared in 4 or so years so this is your best bet.
That is extremely helpful, thank you very much!
Will focus mainly on what has not come up, but also look over the other stuff!
Thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.19%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (171)
35.7%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.38%
No, I chose not to (139)
29.02%