Advanced Higher Maths or Advanced Higher Statistics

Watch
blackberrybucket
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I got an A in my higher maths prelim and I would like to take an advanced maths next year. However, my school run maths and statistics and I do not know which one to pick.. Any advice??
Ecasx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blackberrybucket)
I got an A in my higher maths prelim and I would like to take an advanced maths next year. However, my school run maths and statistics and I do not know which one to pick.. Any advice??
If you have to do one, do not do Statistics. The core subject will teach you so much more useful maths in the generic sense. It will be significantly harder, so if you don't care about learning maths too much then just do Statistics. I do expect that universities will also look more fondly on the core maths.

Also, I have been told that Statistics is very easy (personally, I'm doing Mechanics this year). If you can cope with the core maths quite well, I assume you could succeed in Statistics simultaneously without much bother. I'm not speaking from experience with the subject though.
andrew157
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blackberrybucket)
Hi, I do Advanced Higher Pure Maths and Advanced Higher Statistics. I would say that the two subjects are of roughly equal difficulty, and which one you take depends mostly on where your interests lie. If you want to extend the stuff you do in the Higher, go for Pure. If you're more interested in applying mathematical techniques to real-life situations, go for Stats. You should also consider what you'll need to take as far as universities are concerned. Many courses in England require that you have Advanced Higher Pure Maths and are less worried about Statistics.

If you have the opportunity, I would recommend that you actually take both subjects, as they are both very interesting and challenging.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise