The Student Room Group

which area of maths do you LOATHE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
The problem with numerical methods is that it can be done on pretty much everything throw A2 calculus out of the window you can do it all by numerical approximations and thats what is so annoying about it you can invent your own numerical methods but it will always be a way to do more advanced maths using simpler methods.

I agree. There are lots of problems that you can solve easily using numerical methods, but require a huge amount more skill and knowledge to solve using other methods.
I understand the need for using them though as it makes a lot of problems much easier to solve, I just don't like it as much as other methods.

What I really hate about Maths is visual mathematics I really can't visualise things, they say Mathematicians have a lot of spatial awareness but this is only really true if you are really good at Geometry,Vectors and Mechanics(more of the applied questions that can't be done by rote learning or algebra.I am really good with Algebra and Calculus I actually find a lot of the hard challenge Geometry questions that you use to be given in GCSE Maths classes very hard now I really can't see it and I find it really hard to work out what is going on in Mechanics I have had to work really hard to do well and rote learn a lot of it, for Relative Motion I am using my own very complicated algebraic methods instead of using a diagram that takes about two pages while the mark scheme has a couple of lines:colondollar:

For me, some of this is very easy to visualise, some of it is very difficult. Stuff like relative motion and complex numbers I can visualise easily. Stuff like 3+ dimensional spaces and vectors I find much more difficult.
Mechanics is one of my better areas and I generally find that easy to visualise.

I also hate a lot of Decision Maths but I quite like Game Theory(not doing Simplex as part of it though, this might be to do with it contains Statistics) as it is just tonnes of simplistic calculations that get tiring and it is so easy to mess it all up.

I enjoyed D2 more than D1 as it was more difficult and required a bit more thought than D1.
Still, I think that's nothing compared to actual discrete mathematics, where you create the algorithms.
I also think it's better when you can use a computer to do all of the tedious calculations, that's what they're for after all.

i really love Statistics though I don't know why people hate it so much probability is really interesting and can be applied to the real world eg. Poisson to model hurricanes,Binomial hitting targets and I am really starting to love the Hypothesis Testing(although I originally wasn't that much of a fan) in S3 because it gives you the tools to test things that you are told like you could carry out your own investigation to see whether the mass of something is really 10kg to 5% significance.In S3 you learn why something you have always assumed(large samples are good) is true with a good mathematical proof and in S2 you learn how to convert between different probability distributions and calculus of continuous random variables.

I don't really enjoy or understand statistics at the moment, but I think it'll improve. I've only done up to S2, although I'm thinking of studying S3-4 over the summer.
From what I've heard of the later statistics modules, you learn why things are the way they are, it's not just rote learning as it is in S1-2. in S1-2 you just learn the methods with very little understanding of why they work or why the results are useful. This is why I think that the later modules might be more enjoyable.

My favourite area is probably differential equations due to the mathematical beauty of solving the equations and finding particular integrals and you can apply these to real life situations like acceleration,velocity etc(I dislike Mechanics in general but I like Coefficient of Restitution and of of course the real world Calculus elements its all the complicated visual stuff and diagrams that I hate).

My favourite area of maths so far is differential equations too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Statistics. Probability Theory seems to be extremely interesting, but the type of stats that is taught in A-Levels just bores me.
Anything with graphs
Decision Maths and Mechanics! Pure maths, on the other hand :biggrin:
Trigonometry, just no
Lebesgue integration, and adding up.
I absolutely hate vectors and all the Mechanics modules - they're vile!
Reply 27
I haven't done stats yet, but I know it will be vile (and so will decision)

Complex numbers, and stretching graphs I just can't seem to get my head around :angry:
Reply 28
So far in my degree, abstract linear algebra can sometimes be a bit of a pain.

Oh, and difference equations, it's quite hard to find resources on them..
Some aspects of probability theory (stochastic processes, martingales etc)
Original post by -sashadasha-
Trigonometry, just no

Agreed. For me, compound angles and differentiating/integrating trig was the worst part of A-level maths.
Logic can be so beautiful but soooooooo painful
series/analysis can smd
For me? I don't really dislike any of it.. Sure the difficulty gives me sleepless nights sometimes.. Quite like today. If I needed to pick though it'd be the list provided in the quote below! :smile:
Original post by TajwarC
Decision (Algorithms, networks etc)
Vectors
Matrix algebra
Also not a massive fan of mechanics either

As for why... Not sure. I just prefer calculus to be honest

Everything I'm doing right now! :cry:

Restless rights..
Original post by Jooooshy
Logic can be so beautiful but soooooooo painful

Understatement!! It's almost like having your eyes gouged out with a blunt pencil.. Or even pulling your own nails out with a pair of pliers.. With no pain killers whatsoever.. :tongue:
Original post by Binary Freak
Understatement!! It's almost like having your eyes gouged out with a blunt pencil.. Or even pulling your own nails out with a pair of pliers.. With no pain killers whatsoever.. :tongue:

Somebody really doesn't like logic!
Chapter 6.
Whooooa is that stuff complicated.
Original post by Jooooshy
Somebody really doesn't like logic!

I like it, I really do. But there's a nice line between intuitive logic, and mathematic logic, and when you get on the highly mathematical side of logic it is, as you say painful, well beyond painful, but it is nice, and really satisfying when you understand it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest