Why are fat people increasingly becoming proud of their fatness?

Watch
capitalismstinks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Fat power, fat liberation, fativism.....these terms are , believe it or not, all part of a movement called 'fat acceptance'

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance_movement

The question is WHY? Being fat is bad for health. It's depressing. It's a symptom of, not a cause of, emotional issues. It's only possible because of an addiction. There is nothing good about being fat.

I put on weight a few years ago and the only thing which got me out of it was a refusual to accept the situation. Surely accepting fatness is the worst of all scenarios for fat people. It's like being proud of poverty, or failure.

I'm struggling to understand this fat 'acceptance' movement. Maybe others out there have explanations?
howitoughttobe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm so glad someone has finally made a post about this. Being fat is not ok unless it is down to genuine medical problems. Seems the world has gone from encouraging girls to be healthy (ie. not the skinny image the media told them to look like) to telling them that being fat is ok. It isn't.
sultanina9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by capitalismstinks)
Fat power, fat liberation, fativism.....these terms are , believe it or not, all part of a movement called 'fat acceptance'

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance_movement

The question is WHY? Being fat is bad for health. It's depressing. It's a symptom of, not a cause of, emotional issues. It's only possible because of an addiction. There is nothing good about being fat.

I put on weight just a few years ago and the only thing which got me out of it was a refusual to accept the situation. Surely accepting fatness is the worst of all scenarios for fat people. It's like being proud of poverty, or failure.

I'm struggling to undestand this fat 'acceptance' movements. Maybe others out there have explanations?
Being fat shouldnt be accepted, their lazy and they eat junk all day why should they be accepted.
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I suppose its because what is fat and what is just larger is hard to define. I mean personally I think size 18+ is typically in the realms of unhealthy. But I never wear that size so I don't know for sure.
Borgia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because they are too lazy to change and to arrogant to feel the need to change
KrazyKoala
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Life's too short to be worried about what others think. Yes being fat can be unhealthy? But is it right to shame them? What business is it of yours? We're very much caught up in media ideals and the constant pressure to be beautiful and thin. It's hard to be perfect, few are born with those ideals. And even if you are, you age and you lose them. Hence it's not a sustainable goal to pursue.

Being fat is a choice IMO. If people want to be fat, you can't stop them. It's just the same if someone wants to have alcohol or smoke. The health benefits of being thin should be promoted, and we should focus in schools giving healthy diets and regular exercise to prevent obesity in schools and show children how to lose weight and/or stay healthy weight. But past that, really it's up to that person to do something about it.

We're so critical of others, ourselves in the world, but I do wonder what's the point. The only thing that seems real really is the kindness of someone's heart. The rest is just superficial, meaningless. Yet somehow we (and myself) included can't stop chasing after the superficial as it's drummed into us, from the environment around us, and perhaps genetics, it's just ingrained into us.
capitalismstinks
Rep:
?
(Original post by KrazyKoala)
Life's too short to be worried about what others think. Yes being fat can be unhealthy? But is it right to shame them? What business is it of yours? We're very much caught up in media ideals and the constant pressure to be beautiful and thin. It's hard to be perfect, few are born with those ideals. And even if you are, you age and you lose them. Hence it's not a sustainable goal to pursue.

Being fat is a choice IMO. If people want to be fat, you can't stop them. It's just the same if someone wants to have alcohol or smoke. The health benefits of being thin should be promoted, and we should focus in schools giving healthy diets and regular exercise to prevent obesity in schools and show children how to lose weight and/or stay healthy weight. But past that, really it's up to that person to do something about it.

We're so critical of others, ourselves in the world, but I do wonder what's the point. The only thing that seems real really is the kindness of someone's heart. The rest is just superficial, meaningless. Yet somehow we (and myself) included can't stop chasing after the superficial as it's drummed into us, from the environment around us, and perhaps genetics, it's just ingrained into us.

No, being fat is never a choice. It's an outward manifestation of addiction. People become addicted to food for all sorts of reasons, but it's never a choice ( 99.99% of the time ).

Accepting their fatness is the worst of all possible messages that healthy people who somehow got themsleves fat need to hear.
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do people feel the need to tell people whether or not they should feel good about themselves?

I'd rather they were self confident in themselves, they have self confidence and lose the weight for the right reasons rather than yo-yo diet, have an unhealthy relationship with food or feel depressed about their weight therefore eat even more to numb the pain. Like the vast majority of overweight and obese people do.
Magistl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sultanina9)
Being fat shouldnt be accepted, their lazy and they eat junk all day why should they be accepted.
This. Unless there's a good reason, I don't think one should advocate it
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
Why do people feel the need to tell people whether or not they should feel good about themselves?

I'd rather they were self confident in themselves, they have self confidence and lose the weight for the right reasons rather than yo-yo diet, have an unhealthy relationship with food or feel depressed about their weight therefore eat even more to numb the pain. Like the vast majority of overweight and obese people do.
If it's a loved one you care about. Trying to help em so they don't die prematurely will only have a positive affect on both parties.
KrazyKoala
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, being fat is never a choice. It's an outward manifestation of addiction. People become addicted to food for all sorts of reasons, but it's never a choice 99.99% of the time.

Accepting their fatness is the worst of all possible messages that healthy people who somehow got themsleves fat need to hear.
It's a choice to eat those foods and not to exercise. Being fat is just a result of that. Once fat, it's also their choice whether to do something about it.

I'm all for promoting the health benefits of being thin, of exercise and healthy eating. But shaming I don't think is the answer. We shouldn't think any less of a person whether he or she is fat or not.

I'd like government to take stricter controls of foods, ban the unhealthier foods from the shops and have strict guidelines. Food companies are often pressured to put loads of this unhealthy stuff in foods in order to make them as desirable as possible for the customers so they buy more. And to make them cheaper. With strict guidelines in place, no one food company can get the advantage over another food company in that way, hence they will be forced to compete with healthy foods.
Magistl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a choice to eat those foods and not to exercise. Being fat is just a result of that. Once fat, it's also their choice whether to do something about it.

I'm all for promoting the health benefits of being thin, of exercise and healthy eating. But shaming I don't think is the answer. We shouldn't think any less of a person whether he or she is fat or not.

I'd like government to take stricter controls of foods, ban the unhealthier foods from the shops and have strict guidelines. Food companies are often pressured to put loads of this unhealthy stuff in foods in order to make them as desirable as possible for the customers so they buy more. And to make them cheaper. With strict guidelines in place, no one food company can get the advantage over another food company in that way, hence they will be forced to compete with healthy foods.
Would never happen.

Additionally, negative reinforcement is quite an effective motivator at times.
KrazyKoala
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Soundly agree with this.

Fat people should be losing weight for the right reasons. If they are truly happy with being fat it's none of our business really (even if those might be few cases). We should fat shame them into oblivion and make them feel bad about themselves.
Chris Cartner
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For most cases, it's just people being too lazy, so they try and justify being fat. People are always aloud to say things about skinny people, but when it comes to fat people it's like whoaaa stop. Annoys me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Per
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've got a cute face
Chubby waist
Thick legs
In shape

Rump shaking both ways
Make you do a double take
KrazyKoala
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Magistl)
Would never happen.

Additionally, negative reinforcement is quite an effective motivator at times.
It will happen, when the government realises things have gone too far. As any person dieting will tell you, much easier to diet when you don't have the unhealthy foods in your home. Same case scenario, if the shops aren't selling unhealthy stuff, then going to be easier to not eat the unhealthy stuff.

If you think about it, despite the dangers of the unhealthy foods on the market, we continue to let them be stock. Even when there are healthy ways of making the same food often. Really sad.

I see it like cigarettes. We've tolerated cigarettes for a long time due to various reasons, yet know we're clamping down on them. Big hazard labels on the packets, stopping from smoking in public places. Even attitudes have started changing. I'm sure eventually they'll be banned. I mean afterall butter was banned in the USA? Isn't that a small start in the right direction at least (though I know USA does many other things wrong when it comes to food).

I don't think UK will be the first to implement this, it'll be a progressive country with general high standards in terms of diet and health. Though once one country starts, others will follow I'm sure.
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
If it's a loved one you care about. Trying to help em so they don't die prematurely will only have a positive affect on both parties.
"You're fat, you know? It isn't socially accepted so you need to do something about it. I know you're addicted and going through some stuff, but losing weight is an important priority so you should do it."

"You're clinically overweight/obese you know? It might not be socially accepted but remember, you don't exist to appeal to society, I'd rather you were comfortable in your own skin. I know you're going through some stuff, let's address these problems which are most likely the root of the problem and you'll find that you'll find a way to lose weight effectively and happily."

Which is most likely to result in permanent and effective weight loss?
capitalismstinks
Rep:
?
-

Are you fat? Have you ever been fat?
KrazyKoala
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you fat? Have you ever been fat?
Nope I haven't, and never have been. Tbh, I've never dieted, though I guess I eat healthy enough and I do a lot of exercise.
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"You're fat, you know? It isn't socially accepted so you need to do something about it. I know you're addicted and going through some stuff, but losing weight is an important priority so you should do it."

"You're clinically overweight/obese you know? It might not be socially accepted but remember, you don't exist to appeal to society, I'd rather you were comfortable in your own skin. I know you're going through some stuff, let's address these problems which are most likely the root of the problem and you'll find that you'll find a way to lose weight effectively and happily."

Which is most likely to result in permanent and effective weight loss?
"Dad you need to sort yourself out. I don't want you to die"

^that worked fairly well.

Also being into fitness myself helps. People I know see all the positive benefits and my enthusiasm and become inspired by it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads