The Student Room Group

24 Years Old and Depressed and have no direction....help

I've dropped out of College three times now for three different subjects.... I haven't been successful in finding a job to do and I think I'm starting to get seriously depressed because at 24 years old, I pretty much can't drive and have motivation but failed one of my theory tests once and ended up having a phoebia to take it again. I don't have much doing on daily unless surf the internet seeking wisdom and determination to create something but yet I never do. I think if I was to be given a medal, it would be for procastination and it's hard to get motivated.... Now three months before A Level Exams, I am thinking of doing external A Level Exams and attempt to be get to University

If you want to know a bit about my background, well... I come from a middle class family where my family are lawyers yet starting to stress me about doing anything but I am more the class clown depressant who would like to think it is a grand theft auto game where I believe I can still make it big slacking...

The worse thing, I can help people sort out their life problems but can't do nothing about my own.... I just suck at doing exams and doing anything at all... I literally have no talents except probably speaking to people and being social and thats about it... I would rather do something freelance but I get looked down on from my family as doing nothing
Your life is a bit of a mess, but no worries just pick yourself back up again and carry on, you will just have to accept the fact that you have to make a move with your life, you can't sit and wallow in despair while life passes you.

Find something you enjoy doing as a career and stick to it, go and see a careers advisor they might be able to help you.

That's my best advice i can't really say much more, apart from don't give up.:smile:
Have you thought about going to see a doctor about your depression? I think its a bit late to start doing a levels. What sort of freelance work would you do? You say your good at helping others have you thought about becoming a social worker?
Reply 3
Original post by Shimmy Bo Bo
Your life is a bit of a mess, but no worries just pick yourself back up again and carry on, you will just have to accept the fact that you have to make a move with your life, you can't sit and wallow in despair while life passes you.

Find something you enjoy doing as a career and stick to it, go and see a careers advisor they might be able to help you.

That's my best advice i can't really say much more, apart from don't give up.:smile:

Thank you for the reply, yeah, I need to do something.

Original post by Paladian
Have you thought about going to see a doctor about your depression? I think its a bit late to start doing a levels. What sort of freelance work would you do? You say your good at helping others have you thought about becoming a social worker?

I don't really know, I haven't got any skills but I guess I can write alot.... If there is any jobs that help.
Original post by BigBucks
Thank you for the reply, yeah, I need to do something.

I don't really know, I haven't got any skills but I guess I can write alot.... If there is any jobs that help.

Write a book. A book about yourself an autobiography about your life.
Reply 5
Write a book. A book about yourself an autobiography about your life.

I haven't done anything significant to write about and I heard authors get peanuts but I do find writing somewhat even though very short lived therapeutic... I wouldn't know where to start with writing a book but it is a intriguing thought
I haven't done anything significant to write about and I heard authors get peanuts but I do find writing somewhat even though very short lived therapeutic... I wouldn't know where to start with writing a book but it is a intriguing thought

just let it flow out naturally from day one as early as you can remember and write your thoughts about your life. Good and bad. Let it flow.
Reply 7
LOL did anyone else misread "direction" for "erection"?
do you actually think people get all these A* because they're smart? Sure, it's easier, but no: they work their butts off. Try your best at anything, be consistent, and it WILL pay off!

You can still do anything you want to do. Be grateful that you're having these worries at 24 instead of 44! You can do this, I know plenty of people who have turned their life around 30+. I know someone who mucked around for the whole of his life; got bankrupt; ruined marriage; then, ended up getting into medical school at aged 40.

You can do this.
The best thing about life is that it's never too late. You can go to school at any age, have children later in life etc.

Find something you're truly interested in, commit to it and work hard. It'll all pay off in the end. I think the reason you're not motivated is because you're not determined or enthusiastic about what you wish to do (3 different subjects). Think about it carefully and do some research. You're searching motivational stuff but then you're not doing anything with the fuel gained from that. Actions, do it!

I also think you should visit the GP or talk to someone about your depression, it'll help. Goodluck!
Go to a GP, it's very hard to but you must go. This is the first step and ideally get someone to go with you as it will help to have someone to talk to and perhaps advise you. You can't substitute one thing for another; finding a job etc and doing A Levels will NOT get rid of your depression, it may not even help. Go to the GP and they'll talk you through what you may be feeling as well as immediately giving you a plan of treatment.
Well if u r into writing then I think u can study arts and humanities at uni!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scare yourself with hypergamy.
I've dropped out of College three times now for three different subjects.... I haven't been successful in finding a job to do and I think I'm starting to get seriously depressed because at 24 years old, I pretty much can't drive and have motivation but failed one of my theory tests once and ended up having a phoebia to take it again. I don't have much doing on daily unless surf the internet seeking wisdom and determination to create something but yet I never do. I think if I was to be given a medal, it would be for procastination and it's hard to get motivated.... Now three months before A Level Exams, I am thinking of doing external A Level Exams and attempt to be get to University

If you want to know a bit about my background, well... I come from a middle class family where my family are lawyers yet starting to stress me about doing anything but I am more the class clown depressant who would like to think it is a grand theft auto game where I believe I can still make it big slacking...

The worse thing, I can help people sort out their life problems but can't do nothing about my own.... I just suck at doing exams and doing anything at all... I literally have no talents except probably speaking to people and being social and thats about it... I would rather do something freelance but I get looked down on from my family as doing nothing

You sound just like me !!!
Reply 14

Go to Syria... you could be a hero?
just let it flow out naturally from day one as early as you can remember and write your thoughts about your life. Good and bad. Let it flow.

Why give ridiculous advice? Better to say nothing.. are you seriously telling him to invest his time in the hope of making a success of his life by writing a book about his life? Go to bed youre clearly drunk. ANYWAY OP just work on the basics.. find something youre even a little bit interested in and stick with it... Ive dropped out of courses before, I even dropped out of one course onlt to enrol again a yr later.. just got to get your mind focused Im also your age I can relate to you abit as I was at your stage not long ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I... I literally have no talents except probably speaking to people and being social and thats about it... I would rather do something freelance but I get looked down on from my family as doing nothing

It is common for professional parents to want their children to follow in their footsteps,
understandable but some just don't understand that genetics doesn't always work that way.

Have they seen the film The Dead Poets Society ?

If you love someone, set them free.

I had the pressure you face. Perhaps say you need a year out, travel or work at something
you will enjoy .. that's what you will do best.

Personally I got the spirit of God and got involved with people and just got work to pay the bills.
That was 28 years ago, it works!
"Life" spent not doing what you want is a waste of time.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest