Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in applying to unis in the Rep. of Ireland. I used the online calculator of the assessment of how much loan I should receive etc. just out of interest, and clicked 'a non-UK institution' as my place of study. The results came up that I would be entitled to a loan of x amount, a HE grant of x amount and my tuitions fees paid ... but this confused me because I didn't think you got fees paid and a grant if you weren't studying in the UK. I didn't even think you got a loan? Anyone give me any info on this, because I can't find anything about studying the full degree abroad on the website...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly)
    I'm interested in applying to unis in the Rep. of Ireland. I used the online calculator of the assessment of how much loan I should receive etc. just out of interest, and clicked 'a non-UK institution' as my place of study. The results came up that I would be entitled to a loan of x amount, a HE grant of x amount and my tuitions fees paid ... but this confused me because I didn't think you got fees paid and a grant if you weren't studying in the UK. I didn't even think you got a loan? Anyone give me any info on this, because I can't find anything about studying the full degree abroad on the website...
    I'm not sure about most of that, although I do know that you have to pay the first £256 of any travel costs, then your LEA will pay the rest of it.

If you're going abroad to a specific uni and not studying in an English one, I think you have to pay fees. Its only if you're studying at an English uni with a placement abroad for a year or more that you don't have to pay tutition fees for that year.

ReputationRep:
    the fees don't worry me because they're free ... but I would like to know if I could get a loan?

ReputationRep:
    the fees don't worry me because they're free ... but I would like to know if I could get a loan?
    Student loans and grants are available in England and Wales for UK students who wish to study full/part time at Higher Education level in the UK. This does not include universities in the Republic of Ireland.

You may be able to get some sort of financial help from the Irish side as you are an EU student. I'm sure they will have bursary schemes. Why don't you check out their websites and see?

ReputationRep:
    Butterfly, I'm not sure what the situation is if you are a student from England/Wales but a Northern Ireland student who chooses to study in the Republic of Ireland has the same entitlements as one who studies in the UK

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.