Part time and full time funding.

Watch this thread
SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I need some advice or links to legislation or rules about switching from part time to full time courses.

I completed a Cert HE PART TIME with the OU, I took 2 years to do it, 60 credits in year 1, 60 credits in year 2. But I am being told that because I took 2 years over my PART TIME course that = 2 years of SFE funding.

I didn't use SFE funding (which I know is by-the-by, but it's an annoyance), if I had I would have used the equivalent of 1 year's funding over 2 years, i.e. £9000 over the 2 years, not 2 years funding over 2 years i.e. £9000 in year 1 and £9000 in year 2 = £18,000.

I have found rules and legislation about transfer between full time-full time, part time-part time, and full time-part time, but nothing (other than an ancient TSR thread which has no resolution) about part time-full time and funding.

I was awarded my certificate for the Cert HE after September 2012, but all my study was completed in July 2012 BEFORE the new fee rules came into place if that helps.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
SuperCat007
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
It's all very confusing and I keep being told different things by different advisers.
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi there.

As you had studied a course over 2 years, then this counts as 2 years of study. The equation used can be found here: http://bit.ly/1DU52Uv

For a new course you would need to self fund for the first year due to previous study.

Thanks.
SuperCat007
Rep:
(Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
Hi there.

As you had studied a course over 2 years, then this counts as 2 years of study. The equation used can be found here: http://bit.ly/1DU52Uv

For a new course you would need to self fund for the first year due to previous study.

Thanks.
Thanks, I appreciate the response, but that doesn't actually answer the question. It is only 'equivalent' to 1 year of uni study, how on earth do you get funding for a part time course if this is the way it is calculated?

I would really like to see some rules and regulations relating to this exactly, rather than the length of course +1 rule, because as far as I can see there are no rules for my situation.

Additionally I refer to this thread where you say this person can use their 'gift year' to cover the Cert HE year: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3165743 They also state they studied part time to complete their Cert HE i.e. took more than 1 year to complete it.
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi again

The rules and calculation are stated in the link. You studied this course over 2 separate academic years, therefore this counts as 2 years. These 2 years are included as 'previous study' in the equation.

Thanks.
SuperCat007
Rep:
Hi again

The rules and calculation are stated in the link. You studied this course over 2 separate academic years, therefore this counts as 2 years. These 2 years are included as 'previous study' in the equation.

Thanks.
I was editing my post as you replied, please refer to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3165743

In which you tell another OU student who studied part time they can use their 'gift' year to cover the Cert HE year and they still get 4 years of funding for their course, which is actually one more year than I need...
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi there..

The link you have provided does not appear to be working.

Thanks.
SuperCat007
Rep:
Hi there..

The link you have provided does not appear to be working.

Thanks.
Apologies: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3165743

I have just tried this one and it seems to work. It is the 'Will I get funding' thread about 6 posts down on the page, you only replied about an hour ago.

Thanks.
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi there.

Thank you, that link is working. This student has not indicated they studied over two years. Part time courses can still take just one year to complete, they do not have to be over multiple years.

this students states they had taken "a loan" and has lost their "first year of funding" implying they only studied over one year which is what the information I have given is based on.

Your situations are not entirely the same.

Thanks
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Hi there.

Thank you, that link is working. This student has not indicated they studied over two years. Part time courses can still take just one year to complete, they do not have to be over multiple years.

this students states they had taken "a loan" and has lost their "first year of funding" implying they only studied over one year which is what the information I have given is based on.

Thanks
I am the student in question. How do you judge whether a course has been taken over two academic years? I don't think mine was. This is what my student record says, so that is one year, right?

I only took out a loan for the second two modules.
SuperCat007
Rep:
Hi there.

Thanks
Thanks for your reply. I will continue to research it as some SFE advisers have told me that the two years should be counted as 1 and not two. But I appreciate your input.

It's devastating when I had no choice but to study at 50% due to illness and being unable to study any quicker. But I'm being penalised because my illness prevented me doing it in one year.
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi Snufkin, yes that looks as though it was only over one year.

SuperCat007, if you're not sure of the information you have been given, the best thing to do is just submit your application, and that way the assessors will use the regulations they have to decide on your funding. If at this point you are unhappy with the assessment, you can submit an appeal to see the reasoning or regulations behind this.

It may also be worth sending a cover letter along with some medical evidence to explain that it was due to medical reasons that you had to study over 2 years, in case they can use that information to award you a year of funding back.

Thanks
SuperCat007
Rep:
Hi Snufkin, yes that looks as though it was only over one year.

SuperCat007, if you're not sure of the information you have been given, the best thing to do is just submit your application, and that way the assessors will use the regulations they have to decide on your funding. If at this point you are unhappy with the assessment, you can submit an appeal to see the reasoning or regulations behind this.

It may also be worth sending a cover letter along with some medical evidence to explain that it was due to medical reasons that you had to study over 2 years, in case they can use that information to award you a year of funding back.

Thanks
Thank you for your reply. My application has already been submitted and I have been awarded my funding in a very strange way. But anyway I still don't have enough to complete my course. I will submit medical evidence for the OU study and see what comes back.

Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (128)
66.32%
No (43)
22.28%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.4%

Watched Threads