The Student Room Group

Are You Able To Study Both Equine & Small Animals?

Hey!

Does anyone know if vet nurses are able to study both equine and small animals?

Thanks x.
Reply 1
Original post by MissNatureNerd
Hey!

Thanks x.

Yes as far as I know all vet nursing courses have at least some small elements of equine study :smile: it might not be a large part of the course but it usually is included.
I'm deciding to whether study nursing as a college course or at uni (probably the first)!

im currently volunteering at a vet practice and a blue cross centre! Is there anything else I could be doing?

thanks
Hey!

Thanks x.

Yes.

If you are going to go the college route (there are advantages and disadvantages to both) the most important thing is finding a suitable mixed practice for your placement otherwise you are going to struggle to get the necessary experience to complete your NPL (Nursing Progress Log).

Even if you can only get a small animal placement it is not the end of the world but it does make things more difficult. A couple of the clinical coaches I work with are very horsey so they have arranged some extra equine based tutorials and external placements for their students but it is not easy!
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
Yes.

If you are going to go the college route (there are advantages and disadvantages to both) the most important thing is finding a suitable mixed practice for your placement otherwise you are going to struggle to get the necessary experience to complete your NPL (Nursing Progress Log).

Even if you can only get a small animal placement it is not the end of the world but it does make things more difficult. A couple of the clinical coaches I work with are very horsey so they have arranged some extra equine based tutorials and external placements for their students but it is not easy!

thanks for the advice ch0c0h01ic I think I may have to stick with small animals. I have tried to get a placement with mixed, but no luck :frown:! I would love to do horses as well as small animals, even though it would be hard work. Just unable to unfortunately. Do you have any advice to do now before September? I am volunteering at a practice which has offered a placement in September for 10 weeks and at a nearby Blue Cross (they have small animals, dogs, cats and horses so I get experience with everything). Is there anything else I can do? I will admit my breed knowledge isn't amazing. Is that something I should swat up on?
thanks for the advice ch0c0h01ic I think I may have to stick with small animals. I have tried to get a placement with mixed, but no luck :frown:! I would love to do horses as well as small animals, even though it would be hard work. Just unable to unfortunately. Do you have any advice to do now before September? I am volunteering at a practice which has offered a placement in September for 10 weeks and at a nearby Blue Cross (they have small animals, dogs, cats and horses so I get experience with everything). Is there anything else I can do? I will admit my breed knowledge isn't amazing. Is that something I should swat up on?

I will be honest, I am a clinical coach but I have very little experience of applying for veterinary nursing being a vet!

True mixed practice is dying out, the few mixed practices still operating tend to be compartmentalised (ie; separate small animal vets and nurses, separate large animal vets and nurses).

My best advice would be to get some dedicated equine nursing experience. Blue Cross is OK but I suspect it will be more basic animal husbandry based rather than getting a feel for what an equine nurse really does. That is the only way you are going to be able to make an informed decision as to which direction you want to take your career in.

I would recommend starting the Duke of Edinburgh's Award if you haven't already (Bronze, Silver or Gold - depends on your age). It looks good on your CV and it is good life experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending