The Student Room Group

£3.60?

i currently work at savers (cheap chemists) they make us clean the toilets, mop etc. and work from 9-6 on saturdays
is this a fair pay for a 16 year old? how much does everyone get paid at their jobs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Monkey_Maiden
i currently work at savers (cheap chemists) they make us clean the toilets, mop etc. and work from 9-6 on saturdays
is this a fair pay for a 16 year old? how much does everyone get paid at their jobs?

I used to cook, serve customers and clean toilets and run a cafe on my own for £2.75 an hour when I was that age.
Reply 2
I'm 17 and I get £6.90 an hour, and time and half on weekends. I think that's over the average though.
Reply 3
I am 21 and in my part time job I get paid £8 an hour, but thats still quite a lot less than I would get if I had a degree and was full time. It can be quite stressful when things don't work and I hate having to keep askling the boss for help, although he said its fine because they were not expecting somebody fully qualified for £8 an hour (the market rate is more like £15 an hour for my job).

I am more than happy with my pay though, I least I don't need to clean toilets or do anything physical in my job.
Reply 4
Ellie4
I'm 17 and I get £6.90 an hour, and time and half on weekends. I think that's over the average though.

thats really good pay compared to the £4.50 i get - where do you work?
Reply 5
neosyko
thats really good pay compared to the £4.50 i get - where do you work?

I'm a waitress. It's at quite a posh Chelsea restaurant though, so maybe they just spend more on their staff than most companies.
Reply 6
i'm quite lucky i got a job last year when i was 17 and starting pay was £9p/h but before that i was on £3.25p/h where i worked harder, had more physical tasks and it was much more boring.
Reply 7
I've just checked on a salary checker thing and for my job I should get £30 an hour on contract basis (as I am) so I am not too bothered about asking the boss questions now! Its quite a cushy little job considering I am not exactly the most employable person earth.
Reply 8
I work in a supermarket and get £4.39 an hour, but my friend works in the same supermarket at a different location and only gets £3.57! I think it's stupid that there's not a minimum wage for 16 year olds as most people have a job by then
Reply 9
I'm 16, work 6 hrs a day and get paid nothing. Damn school.
Reply 10
Zapsta
I'm 16, work 6 hrs a day and get paid nothing. Damn school.

lol, dont worry theres millions in the same position as u
Reply 11
I once had a job building PCs which I got £2 an hour for the diea is I was supposed to be NVQ IT as well but it bored be to death and the pay was crap.
chats
i'm quite lucky i got a job last year when i was 17 and starting pay was £9p/h but before that i was on £3.25p/h where i worked harder, had more physical tasks and it was much more boring.

Where was that job - the £9 an hour one?
Monkey_Maiden

Well you do have to remember that you are under 18, so they can really pay you whatever they want. stop moaning and find a better job if you ware that bothered about it.
Ellie4
I'm a waitress. It's at quite a posh Chelsea restaurant though, so maybe they just spend more on their staff than most companies.

Do you enjoy waitressing? I'm considering seeing if there any waitressing jobs going at the hotel i live near over the summer. However, some of my friends have tried waitressing and hated it so i'm not sure.
Reply 15
Jak Spencer
Where was that job - the £9 an hour one?

royal bank of scotland. i'm gonna be working there again this summer and the manager sed hes gonna try to get me up to £11 p/h
its a good job and i wouldnt give a damn if it was £5ph but then again i dont mind what i'm gettin!
Reply 16
SiAnY
Do you enjoy waitressing? I'm considering seeing if there any waitressing jobs going at the hotel i live near over the summer. However, some of my friends have tried waitressing and hated it so i'm not sure.

It's hard work. You have to be nice. Ooh and strong too. I have to carry 5 plates at a time. I love my job though, mainly because I like the people I work with, and we get free drinks after work :smile: I work quite late though, average shift is 7pm-2am ish.
Reply 17
I get £5.50 an hour for lifeguarding at the pool, which is pretty good, especially considering you do absolutely nothing most of the time, and get to see lots of interesting people swimming:biggrin:
chats
royal bank of scotland. i'm gonna be working there again this summer and the manager sed hes gonna try to get me up to £11 p/h
its a good job and i wouldnt give a damn if it was £5ph but then again i dont mind what i'm gettin!

what sort of stuff were u doing
Reply 19
Jak Spencer
what sort of stuff were u doing

i was a cashier or as my name badge said a 'customer services officer' just doing the duties of a normal cashier giving out money putting in money money transfers bill paying etc etc.
lunch times was the best especially as I was working with some fit ladies!

Latest