The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i'm 16 and i get £5 an hr working in a small shoe store.
To the person who gets £3.60 an hr. Leave ure job and find another one, there are loads of weekend/jobs that pay more than that. I used to get £3.50 before this job i've got now.
Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 21
I'm 18, mine works out at about £6.25 an hour. There's no minimum wage for 16 year olds so they can pay you whatever they like. It's up to you whether or not you accept.
Reply 22
Anything below £4 an hour is bad. I recently got a raise from that to £5.50, which was nice. I don't think they meant it - I only found out on my payslip curiously after the management had swapped over. I think it's an error, but I told them about it 3 weeks ago and so far no change, so I'm happy for this to continue! So far I've got about £50 from this "error" :biggrin:
Reply 23
Well.. I worked in a cafe before at £2.75 per hour and then that was up-ed to £3.25 once I was 16 ( I was there all of 6 weeks and my b/d was in the second week).

I also worked at a "leading franchised network of design,
digital printing and copying centres" , I did my work experiance there, and the owners are friends who I also babysit for, and I worked for them after my work experiance for £4/hr. All unoffical tho, so I didn't get sick days or anything, it was just casual work, if I was free I worked and got paid cash in hand, like at the cafe, if not free I didn't get paid.

I also babysit loads and I get anything from £2.50/hr up to £4/hr(which was £3 til I started working for them at the printers and they gave me a raise :smile: ) Also some people give me double time after midnight. So I earn £10-£25 a night normally.

I also work for my Dad's who is a self employed computer consultant with bout 30 odd schools and business to sort out. I get £5/hr from him, and that can be running a few virus checkers or building a machine or crawlling on the floor sorting out cables or going to a clients house and doing one-on-one sorting out computers or giving lessons on how to do this or that.

And I get £10 pocket money, but that tends to disappear on pizzas and coke down in the pub near school.

As for min wage, check here http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/nmw/

For 16 to 17 year olds
£3.00 per hour from 1 October 2004
NB: 16 and 17 year old apprentices will be exempt from this.

For 18 to 21
£3.80 per hour from 1 October 2003
£4.10 per hour from 1 October 2004

For 22 and over
£4.50 per hour from 1 October 2003
£4.85 per hour from 1 October 2004

And all those who get double time on bank hols.... worth noting that 27/28 Dec this year are both bank hols due to Christmas being on a sat/sun.
Reply 24
I quit this week from my job, where I was paid £4.98 an hour for changing a few bins and wiping a few desks. That's pretty good pay, but it ate up my time because I had to do it every weeknight.
Reply 25
Monkey_Maiden
i currently work at savers (cheap chemists) they make us clean the toilets, mop etc. and work from 9-6 on saturdays
is this a fair pay for a 16 year old? how much does everyone get paid at their jobs?

i get £4.58 an hour for wroking at WHSmiths
Reply 26
charlord

So do they sell chineese curries now at Smiths? I knew sales had dropped but I never thought they would diversify that much!
Reply 27
charlord

I used to work in smiths, they treated me like sh*t and they gave me all these warnings when i hadnt done anything (except rip the cloth of the pool table in the staff room)
Reply 28
I used to work in the Superdrug pharmacy on Oxford St and i got £6.28ph once i qualified as a pharmacy assistant. I also worked in a nursery for 6 months on £10.37ph but i have given up to focus on my exams.
Reply 29
Monkey_Maiden
i currently work at savers (cheap chemists) they make us clean the toilets, mop etc. and work from 9-6 on saturdays
is this a fair pay for a 16 year old? how much does everyone get paid at their jobs?

yeah for a 16 year old it is, however there are better jobs out there with better money, if you look hard you can find them. Dare I say it but what about McDoanlds or Burger King! :smile:
i worked in wilkos for 8 months on £3.72 for 5 months and £4.01 for the last 3 months. now i work in debenhams restaurant where i get £3.70 an hour on saturdays and £5.20 on sundays. when i'm 18 (july) it'll go up to £4.80 or something like that.
Reply 31
Monkey_Maiden

That is decent for a 16 year old.
Reply 32
I'm 18, and I work behind a bar for £5 an hour, which I don't think is too bad. :smile:
Reply 33
my first job i got £2.25 n hr im now on £5.50 so a lil better
Reply 34
I've applied to be a postie this summer - I think I would get in the region of £5.75 per/h
Reply 35
For my summer job after GCSEs I got £4.50, which was reasonably good for the time. I'm hoping to temp this summer, that would probably be around £7+.
Reply 36
I worked at a local holiday park selling ice creams and stuff for £3.85 an hour all last summer, and will probably be there again this year... joy. North Devon is limited to crappy paying tourist-related jobs in the summer, pah. Here in Cardiff now and then I work at the Millennium Stadium in the catering outlets for £5 an hour, much easier work too! I'll be there this Saturday though, and want to try and avoid the Millwall end bars...
Reply 37
alocin
I worked at a local holiday park selling ice creams and stuff for £3.85 an hour all last summer, and will probably be there again this year... joy. North Devon is limited to crappy paying tourist-related jobs in the summer, pah. Here in Cardiff now and then I work at the Millennium Stadium in the catering outlets for £5 an hour, much easier work too! I'll be there this Saturday though, and want to try and avoid the Millwall end bars...

lol just make sure u serve them well and the food/drink tastes good
I work at Caffe Uno (a restaurant, not caffe) in Sheffield and get £4.50 for working behind the bar. I also get about 10-15% of the tips that are made by the waiters on the shift so I get an extra £5-£10 per shift which is pretty good. The main thing which makes it worth it is whether you enjoy your job. The people I work with are all great and I get on with them really well so I actually enjoy working. To whoever was asking about waitressing: it really depends on the athmosphere. Most of the waiting staff at my restaurant really enjoy it but I know people who work for the worst boss ever and they want to quit. He treats all his staff like crap. Waiting on can be extremely profitable though and I reckon it is the best job to get over the holidays or part time. Around christmas, you can make loads from tips. One guy who used to work at Caffe Uno once made about £200 on one night in the christmas period from tips alone.
Monkey_Maiden

i work four hours every saturday and i get £15 so its about £4 p/h .....its a hairdressers :biggrin: and i get free cuts highlights whatever i want went i want!!! cooooool!!! :tongue: and tips

Latest

Trending

Trending