The Student Room Group

Uni of Edinburgh postgrad

Hello!

I know there is no rule of thumb but I was just wondering anyone who has applied to university of Edinburgh for a postgrad when did you apply and how long did it take for the University to respond?

Also if you don't mind letting me know what you applied for? :biggrin:

Thanks a lot in advance for any help
Reply 1
Hello!

I know there is no rule of thumb but I was just wondering anyone who has applied to university of Edinburgh for a postgrad when did you apply and how long did it take for the University to respond?

Same question
- application completed on 2 Dec
- got an email on 20 Jan, saying they had received my application info and would start considering, and I should expect to hear from them in 4-6 weeks
- decision made on 2 Feb

Course: Msc Economics
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Cool. Congrats and thanks for the reply!
A friend of mine applied for a post grad somewhere in the field of Linguistics just recently and she heard back within a few days.

She's an international student (not sure if that affects anything).
Reply 6
Son applied there for a PhD in Physics. They acknowleged his application but he heard no more for months and was then told he was not successful.Strange because he was offered interviews by all the other 4 and ended up at St Andrews.
Reply 7
Original post by olddad
Son applied there for a PhD in Physics. They acknowleged his application but he heard no more for months and was then told he was not successful.Strange because he was offered interviews by all the other 4 and ended up at St Andrews.

PhD is different because the application process doesnt always follow a structured timetable with deadlines/etc, it more depends on which academics want to supervise someone, what funding is available, etc
Original post by studentaw
Hello!

I applied for PhD in English literature on 26 December last year and got a conditional offer on 17 Feb. I've found that Edinburgh is a bit slower compared to other unis (I've had offers from Warwick and Nottingham), although I expect Edinburgh has a higher application load. Compared to the other unis, Edinburgh has also been a bit more demanding in terms of documents needed for the application - the length of the research proposal is up to 2,000 words (compared with 500 for Cambridge!). Also, I had to do other statements for the International Scholarships as well. The Edinburgh online system seems to be a bit more 'clunky' than the other online application systems too, and it was a little hard to work out how I was supposed to upload documents and which ones were required.

So if you're thinking of applying, my advice is to start as soon as possible because it takes a lot of time an effort (and they take a while to respond). Hope that helps!
Reply 9
Original post by poohat
PhD is different because the application process doesnt always follow a structured timetable with deadlines/etc, it more depends on which academics want to supervise someone, what funding is available, etc

Hello, I m a international student from India. Have an offer for MSc. History at Edinburgh Uni. I have applied to Edinburgh on the basis of an advice from a professor at my Uni here in India. Can u tell me does Edinburgh has a good reputation in UK especially in History? I see Edinburgh ranked relatively low on league tables. Why is it? what is the general reputation of Edinburg Uni among the British public and employers? messaged u as u r online after watching this thread. Sorry, if u thought i am being rude
Original post by Theridamas
I applied for PhD in English literature on 26 December last year and got a conditional offer on 17 Feb. I've found that Edinburgh is a bit slower compared to other unis (I've had offers from Warwick and Nottingham), although I expect Edinburgh has a higher application load. Compared to the other unis, Edinburgh has also been a bit more demanding in terms of documents needed for the application - the length of the research proposal is up to 2,000 words (compared with 500 for Cambridge!). Also, I had to do other statements for the International Scholarships as well. The Edinburgh online system seems to be a bit more 'clunky' than the other online application systems too, and it was a little hard to work out how I was supposed to upload documents and which ones were required.

So if you're thinking of applying, my advice is to start as soon as possible because it takes a lot of time an effort (and they take a while to respond). Hope that helps!

Did you receive funding?
Reply 11
Can anyone tell me why is Edinburgh raked so low in League Tables? Whereas is consistenly among the top 50 in all international league tables
Original post by IWantToBeThere
Did you receive funding?

No, unfortunately. I was informed that I'm on the reserve list though. I ended up getting funding at Warwick so I'll be withdrawing my Edinburgh application.
Original post by Theridamas
No, unfortunately. I was informed that I'm on the reserve list though. I ended up getting funding at Warwick so I'll be withdrawing my Edinburgh application.

Congratulations. So the funding pays for tuition fees and living expenses?
Reply 14
Hello there, I applied to MSt in US Literature on January 6, 2019. My application went from

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending