Opinions on University varsities/ sharing a city

Watch
evburr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How do students feel about the battles between two universities that share a city (University of Bath vs Bath Spa)? Do you agree with the stereotypical labels of one being smarter, wealthier, more creative, more fun?

Is it vicious or light hearted rivalry?

Students which attend those universities effected; how does it make you feel? Embarrassed, humiliated, proud, superior?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Generally speaking, the unis are pre-92 and post-92, so there can be a bit of both snobbery and inverted snobbery.

The occasional pisstaking Facebook group, hashtag or meme may occur, but it's not like there are pitched battles in the streets.
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by evburr)
How do students feel about the battles between two universities that share a city (University of Bath vs Bath Spa)? Do you agree with the stereotypical labels of one being smarter, wealthier, more creative, more fun?

Is it vicious or light hearted rivalry?

Students which attend those universities effected; how does it make you feel? Embarrassed, humiliated, proud, superior?
I attended Kent - UoK vs Canterbury Christchurch was the varsity rivalry. I think it was nice it existed, but I wouldn't go so far to say I had allegiance to the point of feeling pride over winning or embarrasment over losing :dontknow: It was good to hear friends who competed doing well but not much more than that.
kingoftheting
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've never experienced it but it sounds completely asinine.
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My university, Worcester, is a very big sports uni and we have our varsity match against Gloucestershire again a large sports uni.

I wouldn't say anyone's affected outside of the sports team. There's a lot of apathy about it. The sports team think they're massive but their egos don't match how well they're known around the uni. :lol:
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I go to the Uni of Liverpool... but when I bumped into some other students during freshers they refused to talk to us for that reason! I was in mixed halls catering for multiple unis but everyone seemed to keep to their own uni. Bit silly if you ask me - I personally wouldn't judge someone just because they are going to a different uni but it's obvious that it happens on some levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads